Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ,just got my ace looking 8.5 wheel from hogpro with a 260 metz installed on it ,,,it looks so good im dribbling, problem is ,,,its at the shop being installed and i got a call from them saying that the belt rubs an the tyre,, so it doesnt fit,i will email hogpro in the morning but until then can anyone shed some light on maybe why and how to fix it,,,my bike is a 07 vrscaw ,and it is an international modael so it has a 30 tooth front pulley,,,,,,is it posible i need a front spacer on the pulley ,to move it out or something, if it were my guess it looks like it needs to move out about 5mm,.. strangly the belt guards look like they are in the right place and dont rub at all?????any help or thoughts would be handy. i need this problem fixed by tommorrow night in time for the breast cancer rally

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I cannot run a 260 on mine without the tire rubbing the belt. The only way to do that is to have the pulley cut down and run the narrow belt as far as I know of. The widest I run is a 240.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i hope your wrong max ,,,but from what ive seen your not normally wrong,,,, please dont tell me ive burnt my money on the 260,,,, ok next thing is can i run the dunlop on the back with a metz front,,,

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
bwds said:
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i hope your wrong max ,,,but from what ive seen your not normally wrong,,,, please dont tell me ive burnt my money on the 260,,,, ok next thing is can i run the dunlop on the back with a metz front,,,

It's not recommended but I have seen it done. You really hate to mix brands.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It could be the spacers are swapped side for side.
If the spacers are in the correct locations,then the new 8.5 wheel will have to be custom fit into the swing arm.It could be as easy as using a wider spacer between the pulley and wheel,then take the difference off of the left outer spacer.Of course the more complicated part will be the drive pulley spacing.If it were mine I'd space the output flange away from the output support bearing the way I did on my 03.

I'm looking forward to cramming a 280 into the stock swingarm on my X,maybe!

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
It could be the spacers are swapped side for side.
If the spacers are in the correct locations,then the new 8.5 wheel will have to be custom fit into the swing arm.It could be as easy as using a wider spacer between the pulley and wheel,then take the difference off of the left outer spacer.Of course the more complicated part will be the drive pulley spacing.If it were mine I'd space the output flange away from the output support bearing the way I did on my 03.

I'm looking forward to cramming a 280 into the stock swingarm on my X,maybe!

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:
Al the only thing that has any bearing on this is the distance between the pulley and the wheel. Unless you either shorten the belt area on the pulley and use a narrow belt or move the pulley away from the wheel farther it shouldn't matter how many spacers he has on either side as long as it's centered. My compensator bowl is built onto my rear hub so there is no spacing it out. It would require a new hub setup for me to run a 260 on my wheel or switch to the narrow belt. I'm happy with my 240 though.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Max said:
Al the only thing that has any bearing on this is the distance between the pulley and the wheel. Unless you either shorten the belt area on the pulley and use a narrow belt or move the pulley away from the wheel farther it shouldn't matter how many spacers he has on either side as long as it's centered. My compensator bowl is built onto my rear hub so there is no spacing it out. It would require a new hub setup for me to run a 260 on my wheel or switch to the narrow belt. I'm happy with my 240 though.

Yea I know,mines integral too and I actually used a front wheel spacer between the pulley and compensator.Then the difference has to be taken from the other spacer.On the 07 AW he already has the narrow belt & pulley.If there is enough meat to play with on the left outer then there won't be any caliper bracket and spacer machining to keep the wheel centered.

The 240 in a stock A fender is perfect.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I didn't even notice he had an 07, I wonder if they are trying to use a wide belt on it because the narrow belt should have plenty of room.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Guys I have to believe its something the dealer is doing. I know jerry would not have sold him a wheel that didnt fit his application. I also have seen tons of 260's on the 07 bikes.....has to be some small detail they are missing

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Max said:
I cannot run a 260 on mine without the tire rubbing the belt. The only way to do that is to have the pulley cut down and run the narrow belt as far as I know of. The widest I run is a 240.
You sure??? He said he has a '07 AW so I would have thought it was the same as my '07 DX which can run a 260 with stock pully setup..

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
VRod RS said:
You sure??? He said he has a '07 AW so I would have thought it was the same as my '07 DX which can run a 260 with stock pully setup..

Rich he changed wheel and pulley. You can run a 260 on a stock setup but if you change wheels and pulleys everything changes. And yes I am sure you cannot run a 260 on mine without it hitting the tire.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats what im thinking ,i know some 07s that have put the 260 straight in ,so im thinking its something stupid that they have done or not doing,,,,as for putting in an 8 inch rim ,ive already got the 8,5 in my hot little hands in australia ,its a bit hard to swap it over,,,lol,,,,keep on with the thinking hats ,,,,if no one comes up with the answer and hog pro do .i will let you know for future reference,,,,,just want to chew it over until i hear from them,,,,they have been tottally ace in the help department ,so they should know the answer,,,, i hope,,,,

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i forgot to add the brake disk lines up perfect ,with the caliper ,,so that to me means the spacers must be right,,, or am i wrong with that thought as well

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
bwds said:
i forgot to add the brake disk lines up perfect ,with the caliper ,,so that to me means the spacers must be right,,, or am i wrong with that thought as well
The brake disc bolts to the wheel but spacers have to align the caliper separate from the wheel. It can move a great deal and still be aligned to work correct since it is independent from the axle and can be spaced either way. If you look it can even vary greatly on the swing arm with the slide support it uses.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not tech minded at all, max are you saying they may have the spacers wrong or even back to front or is that not possible,,,or the fact fact the disc lines up means nothing,,,,????????,,,can you give it to me in a way i can relay it to the mechanics

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
bwds said:
im not tech minded at all, max are you saying they may have the spacers wrong or even back to front or is that not possible,,,or the fact fact the disc lines up means nothing,,,,????????,,,can you give it to me in a way i can relay it to the mechanics
No, there is no spacers between the wheel and the pulley. Whatever combination your running must clear the belt. The spacers go between the wheel and the caliper and the pulley and the swingarm but you should not space the wheel away from the pulley. Did your new setup include a pulley (narrow pulley that is) and are you still using the narrow belt?

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its the same size as the stock 07 one ,,which i think the answer is yes it is the narrow pulley and belt,so if there is a spacer between the wheel and the caliper and the pulley and the swing arm,are they different sizes ,and is it possible they could be back to front..or the wrong way around????

1 - 20 of 32 Posts