Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One Loud VROD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took only a few minutes after riding the VROD to trade in my 1200 Sporty... (even with the V&H exhaust on it). Now it is time to upgrade it. I already ordered and have the CFR pipes with HD Race Tuner, and K & N filter ready for installation.

So here are my questions:
1) Using the stock swing arm and wheels (solid stock ones that look like from a Fat Boy), how much wider rear tire can I go?
2) If not any, how much more then changing the swing arm do I need to do to go wider?
(will this do anything other than appearance)?
3) Can I upgrade the brakes to Brembo's?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Chris

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
1) if stock 180 you can go to the 200 with no problem
2a)look up changing from 180 to a 240 tire there is a lot about it
2b)you will go slower a lot more weight and mass has to get moving
3)yes

I changed mine to buell wheels it picked up a lot ( quite a bit less weight )
also call scott and get you a 26t pulley they are on sale for another day you love it these bikes love rpm use them wisely but very often....have fun find you a GOOD TUNER in your area just because they wave the harley flag dont mean they know squat

my opinion
andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
chris, i am running almost that same set up.
'06 night rod with CFR, power commander, screamin eagle air, 200 metzler rear tire.

Nice set up. rides nice, fast, no rubbing, handles great and looks/sounds great!

an inexpensive upgrade for the looks and proformance it provides.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1) if stock 180 you can go to the 200 with no problem
2b)you will go slower a lot more weight and mass has to get moving

I changed mine to buell wheels it picked up a lot ( quite a bit less weight )
also call scott and get you a 26t pulley they are on sale for another day you love it these bikes love rpm use them wisely but very often....have fun find you a GOOD TUNER in your area just because they wave the harley flag dont mean they know squat

my opinion
andrew
2b) if you have your stock rear wheel widened to accept the 240 tire, you will actually have LESS rolling weight than when you were stock wheel and tires. Nearly every 240 tire out there weighs the same or LESS than the stock 180 Dunlop.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
CFR and 200 tire is the cheapest way to go. Make sure your pipes fit well on the factory head pipes, I had to buy a pipe expander to get mine to seal proparly. The tool was from Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks. The CFR is loud and can drone a bit a certain RPM, consider a baffle. Find a good tuner, it will make all the difference.
If you want to go wider than 200 you will need a wider wheel and some swing arm work.
Mess around with the search function there are lots of threads about the cheap 20 modification.
And be cautious on this site you will get modification flu and end up in the poor house

·
One Loud VROD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all for great advice. Since I bought the HD extended warranty, I'm having them install it (comes with 3 hours on Dyno tuning). Hopefully they will do a good job.

Will look to swap the 180 for something in the 200-240 range. Brembo's must be a NICE upgrade. No sense in adding more HP/TQ without being able to STOP.

Will add HID's after getting bike back topless. Just waiting for the 2 feet of snow to melt to drop it off :-(

Well aware of the mod flu. Thanks for the HD, I stopped modifying my car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts