Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Adam
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, several of you asked for updates, but I haven't been online for a few days. I have great news though on my nephew in the ICU @ Baylor. I think someone asked which Baylor, so it's the Baylor downtown, off Gaston Ave.

Anyway, last night they were able to take him off the ventilator. He still has the tube in his lung, but he's breathing on his own. They also lowered the sedation enough that he woke up and spoke to us. There doesn't seem to be any signs of brain damage, or even a serious head injury. He's going to have a long, painful recovery with all the broken bones, which include both clavices, 1 scapula, a couple of ribs, and several pelvis fractures. But, he's going to live, and there shouldn't even be any permanent damage. That's way better than it looked when we were called into the hospital 3 days ago.

Something to share, is that his helmet definately saved his life. 4 inch crack along the top of it. Also, he had on a backpack with his work clothes in it. The police say the backpack was just destroyed at the scene, and they think it may have acted as some padding and kept him from having a back or spinal injury. Wow!

Unfortunately, while we've been in ICU for the past few days, there's been several other riders come in, and all but one of them have not made it, and the one that is left is not looking good. Seems like you can go there any day of the week and find a fellow rider that's having a bad time.

Also, there's a blood drive today @ Duke's in Bedford for a rider that lost both of his legs.

It's been an emotional few days having this happen, and seeing all the other families that were not as lucky as us. Thanks for all the support guys. I wanted to let you know he's still in a lot of pain, but nothing life threatening anymore.

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
thanks for the good news. Tell your nephew we're pulling for him. I've been racked up in the hospital after a crash before, and it was no fun. Bring him a laptop with wi-fi and have him log on here when he's strong enough. :D

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
That is great news! Thanks for the update and glad he will have the chance to mend.

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Good news!

·
Adam
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's still not life threatening. However he hasn't really been able to come to. He mutters things, but the doctors say they don't understand why he's so lethargic. They want him to wake up, talk, and eat. But he just won't. The doctors aren't saying much except give him more time. Now I'm starting to get concerned if this could mean some brain damage or something that just doesn't show up on their scans? Any doctors on the forums with ideas about that?

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
I would think that these things will take lots of time. Keep your fingers crossed. The human body has some amazing capacity for healing, but it does take time. Chin up, bud.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Praise God above! Keep the faith and like Kerryw said, the body is just incredible in its ability to heal. Give it time and stay in prayer!

·
Retired N Loving It!
6,454 Posts
Good to hear that he is getting better, please keep us informed. He is in my prayers.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Thank God for the improvement in his condition. Tell your family members that you love them often because you never know when they will be gone. Please continue to keep us posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts