Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of posts regarding the wheels but I have a question regarding adding clear coat. Has anyone clear coated the wheels to protect them? If so, if you could shed some light on the process and let me know who may do this. Not sure why Harley doesn't do this but perhaps they want us to buy more wheels.

·
Wet Blanket
3,044 Posts
sudolg said:
I know there are a lot of posts regarding the wheels but I have a question regarding adding clear coat. Has anyone clear coated the wheels to protect them? If so, if you could shed some light on the process and let me know who may do this. Not sure why Harley doesn't do this but perhaps they want us to buy more wheels.
I was under the impression that the wheels did have some sort of coating, but just not a clearcoat like you would see on paint. I use Mothers aluminum polish applied with a powerball and I have not seen any type of deterioration in the finish in the time I've owned my bike. The wheels keep a shine and cleaning is a breeze.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been using the same stuff. I have not used my powerball as I'm afraid its going to splatter everywhere but I've gotten it good by hand. My wheels look nice but have a few spots of crappiness. I was going to get a new set and try to have them clear coated so I won't have to worry about them.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The wheels are bare aluminum with nothing on them at all. You can't clear them without applying something for the clear to stick to is my understanding and then you risk the clear turning yellow.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. Guess I'll rely on the mothers. By the way, the little wipey's that Harley sells to protect wheels seems like it is just Alcohol. Don't see how it could work.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Donwe said:
http://alsacorp.com/products/clear4chrome/cl4ch_prodinfo.htm

There are several other manufactuers, if you want more info please pm me.
I know people out there will spray them with clear but I have first hand experience with one of the company's that was charging big bucks for the work and it looked terrible in a very short period of time. I don't know how the others are but ask for references before you throw your hard cash down on some of these.

·
Registered
429 Posts
A little elbow grease is all you need and polished wheels look better than anything else.It says something of how much you love the bike.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Max said:
I know people out there will spray them with clear but I have first hand experience with one of the company's that was charging big bucks for the work and it looked terrible in a very short period of time. I don't know how the others are but ask for references before you throw your hard cash down on some of these.
Don't get me wrong, the outer rim on my wheels highly polished and that's how I like it, no clear needed for me, but there are new products available that have high adhesion and are durable. Paint technology moves forward, and these paints are not that expensive, if that's what you want.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Mine are polished and clear coated, and no yellowing.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Karl Scott said:
Mine are polished and clear coated, and no yellowing.
Karl, post an image or 2. thats the QWIKSKIN? We have a couple clear coats that are water based and wont yellow as they have UV block in them. When you get dings, GUNK removes the coating and you re-apply. The products are not 100 bucks a quart either.

These run about 20 - 25 bucks a quart.

Any coating used on rims is going to take a beating, expecially when the time comes to mount new rubber. Polishing and keeping up with it is the other option, which is best? You be the judge.

I sent some out to a couple of forum members, but never heard back from them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just wipe my wheels with a soft clean rag soaked in WD-40, the WD-40 seems to soak into the pores of the metal and gives good protection, especially against salt and water spots. Very seldom have to polish now as the WD-40 also seems to act as a solvent for removal of road grime and brake pad residue, it all just wipes of!

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
I had them done through Rollies Speed Shop, I am not sure of the products used, but they promised me no yellowing etc. I passed on all the negatives I picked up from here, and was assured it would not happen with the way this guy was doing it. I was told the details, but it was over a year ago now. I can email Rillie and ask. Will come back asap.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Other bike was polished and cleared had no trouble thinking of powder coating the current bike.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Karl Scott said:
I had them done through Rollies Speed Shop, I am not sure of the products used, but they promised me no yellowing etc. I passed on all the negatives I picked up from here, and was assured it would not happen with the way this guy was doing it. I was told the details, but it was over a year ago now. I can email Rillie and ask. Will come back asap.
Karl, as I recall you said in a thread when this was being done that QWIKSKIN was going to be used. I have a high interest in the product as we are trying to market it here. If it really was, I sure would like to know.

I have so many different products in stock to try that I cannot do them all to figure out which one is the best one.

Please don't ask for samples though, to ship the stuff all over for people to try is not practical for time management specially when the biz has only 2 people in it. try waiting on line as USPS to ship a 4 oz bottle and be charged 6 or 7 bucks on top of that. Does not sound like much but when you get 10 or 12 people asking for samples, they have to be bottled then packed and shipped. Too much hoohoo at this time.

So I have been slowly testing several clear coats to see which one seems to be the best. Nioce when your biz allows this, but it is a lot of work.

So far, polish them with BOMS Away, clean them with laquer thinner when done, and apply CORTEC 386 clear coat. Problem is, it is way too much work to do this, so I stripped the rims with GUNK and a Scotchbrite, reploished them and left them alone. Up to this point I tried 5 or 6 different clear coats, and only the CORTEC 386 seemed to be the one that worked the best....until I degreased the front brake system and discovered that GUNK removes the coating. Was not upset at that fact, but it would have been nice knowing in advance cause I have several other degreasers we sell I could have used that would have not done that.

Oh well, they are stripped and polished and due for a wipe down on the next wash.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do rims all the time via powder coating, various colors, even high gloss clears.
Once clear coated, they last damn near forever I guess w/ no polishing, the Powder Coating is pretty durable.
costs averages $70-$75 each wheel

YOUR Powdercoating Connection
832-818-3905

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TurboRoadster said:
I do rims all the time via powder coating, various colors, even high gloss clears.
Once clear coated, they last damn near forever I guess w/ no polishing, the Powder Coating is pretty durable.
costs averages $70-$75 each wheel

YOUR Powdercoating Connection
832-818-3905
But what about without the powdercoat and the clear?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I work for an exterior sign manufacturer. I dont paint but I know we have clears that spray over aluminum all the time. The aluminum doesnt have to be painted prior either.

I know they have a clear primer as well as an acid etching primer and then they clear it.

I can find out what they are using if anyone is interested.

Although I think the clear powder coat is a better option than paint anyday

1 - 20 of 20 Posts