Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the new tank from unlimited engineering, was wondering if any one else does too. If so, is your gauge showing the old tank mileage? Mine is, it is telling me that I'm low at the 3 gallon mark, is there a way to reset that? :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I did a "switch to the acc" position on the ignition switch and I think it has improved things but this was only on sunday. This does a reset from what I'm told. I believe I need to refill but not had time yet to make sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Put mine in this spring

I put in a UE tank this spring. My low fuel light typically comes on at around 110 miles. But that last quarter of a tank will last quite a while. I am comfortable riding to ~150 miles, and have gone up to around 170 in the past. I would just use the low fuel light as a reminder and keep your eye on your trip odometer. Run your bike up to 150 miles or so and fill up to get an idea of how much you used. After awhile you will have a good feeling as to how far you can push your bike comfortably. The gas gauge isn't calibrated for the large volume at the bottom of the UE tank, and I haven't read of any way to adjust that.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Wouldn't the sender need to be changed?
After looking at the book. The gauge will read almost the same, but will travel its sweep slower as the tank is a little fatter almost all the way from top to bottom.

As the tank is a little taller, a longer sender would give a better reading of whats left in the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
There was originally a how to on extending the sender further down into the tank. might be on their website.
Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
In the PDF

"There was originally a how to on extending the sender further down into the tank. might be on their website.
Ed"

They still have that section in the instructions booklet or in the PDF

904 Posts
The sensor-extender per UE's instructions will make the guage a bit more accurate, as it compensates for the increased height from cap flange-to-floor, but your low-fuel light will still come on way early... As I understand it, on the old tank when the float travels 3/4 down the shaft (triggering the low-fuel indicator) you still had a gallon remaining. With the larger tank, the indicator is still triggered at the same point of vertical travel, but now you still have 2+ gallons remaining because of the enlarged capacity in the lower portion of the tank.

When my low-fuel light comes on, I'm still good for 80+ miles, so I pretty much ignore it and go by the odometer reading instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys!!

I filled up at 180 miles, just to give myself a baseline to go off of. I put in 4.3 gallons, so I figured I could easily go to 200 miles....at 199 miles, 3 miles from home, I ran out of gas. To me, this doesn't make sense. So, I had someone bring me gas, so now Ihave to start over again for a baseline (I don't know how much he put in).

I used to be able to get 140 miles and that gave me about a 10-15 mile safety cushion. Any thoughts on this, I'm just perplexed. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how did it go?
Thanks
I had a friend put the tank in, change both breather tubes and move the turn signals to the forks....he charged me for 18 hours of work. He did say that the instructions helped alot, and some of the pictures helped because the description was kind of way off base. He also said that he had to carve at some of the top of the tank to get it to fit. He looked up the UE web site, and I guess they are addressing the issue.

904 Posts
I filled up at 180 miles, just to give myself a baseline to go off of. I put in 4.3 gallons, so I figured I could easily go to 200 miles....at 199 miles, 3 miles from home, I ran out of gas. To me, this doesn't make sense.
Keep in mind that to do 200 miles on 5 gallons means you've got to get a solid 40 mpg. While I've done 40+ under ideal conditions already, 35-38 mpg is my "safe average", so I feel I'm pushing the envelope at anything past 175 miles.

If you were doing 150 miles on the little tank, you had to be getting damned near 50 mpg - NOT a normal V-Rod statistic, for sure!

·
The Hawk
3,929 Posts
If your fuel gauge does not stick down into the tank far enough then the fuel pump pickup is also not down in the tank far enough and you will not get the full advantage of the larger fuel capacity. The fuel pump and pickup are attached to the same structure as the fuel gauge so it sounds like anyone that has this tank would benefit by lowering the gauge and pump to gain more useful fuel capacity and a more accurate fuel gauge.

Mike

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I extended my sending unit per the UE instructions and have never had any issues with the mileage. Its simple and straight forward if you follow their instructions.
:them: The key is following UE's instructions to the letter, step by step. I have been running this tank now for years, and I'm extremely happy that Robin (UE's owner) decided to make it. You will never be able to pump the tank completely dry; the flat bottom and arrangement of the pump pick up precludes it. You will, however, be able to pump pretty close to 5 gallons.

Over time, your ECM will learn that you can go farther on a tank than 130 miles. Mine is up around 170 now, but, since I routinely get about 45 mpg, it's still short. But, I'm confident it will get better; I've only put 33,000 miles on since I installed the tank.

The operation of the gage is cast in stone. I manipulated my pump until it sat hard on the bottom of the tank, but it still takes longer to come off full and use the last quarter than it does to travel through the middle. That's due to the hour glass shape of the tank. The light is alway going to come on at the same spot on the gage; mine comes on 1/8 inch above 1/4 full.

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Sounds like something I need to do! I have a 5+ gallon Rick's tank and my fuel light comes on when I still have 3 gallons in the sucker! I usually get nervous and fill it with two gallons left which kind of negates the whole purpose of the larger tank :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.