Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6dba80XDuW-YT0LvM8b0dyBA6OxGVxGXWVgw81Kd9LI?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4hVk2F8bI1iWhrZUQ3t6ftgktwzDat3frmXbXJdt6S8?feat=directlink

Hi friends,

I just change the battery of my VRSCD last sunday myself and today I found there are some unknown liquid on the top of engine as picture.
May I know what is this liquid and where is it from?? It seems like from a hose under the airbox?? Did i make anything wrong when changing the battery??

sorry I uploaded those pic to google and dont know how to make it display on post , so I just copy the link to pictues

Many Many thanks

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
There is a breather tube running from the front cyl head into the bottom of the air box. You probably did not connect it correctly resulting in oil blowby messing up your engine.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
The first pic looked like dried Anti-freeze, to me.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
replace the front and back hoses.they're cheap.fixed mine for $4.50
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6dba80XDuW-YT0LvM8b0dyBA6OxGVxGXWVgw81Kd9LI?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4hVk2F8bI1iWhrZUQ3t6ftgktwzDat3frmXbXJdt6S8?feat=directlink

Hi friends,

I just change the battery of my VRSCD last sunday myself and today I found there are some unknown liquid on the top of engine as picture.
May I know what is this liquid and where is it from?? It seems like from a hose under the airbox?? Did i make anything wrong when changing the battery??

sorry I uploaded those pic to google and dont know how to make it display on post , so I just copy the link to pictues

Many Many thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you guys so much, I just reinstall the air box and going to have a short ride for test.
If it is leaking from the front cyl vent, that is engine oil or coolant water??
Sorry, because I am a stupid of Engine

·
Registered
58 Posts
i replaced both my breather hoses with black garden hose. i got a six foot piece for around $4.00 from walmart, at 3am the stealership isnt open... gota do what ya gotta do!.. redneck?... mabey... creative?....FOR SURE!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Isnt there a clamp holding the hard coolant lines together some where around there.Just saw a post a week ago about it.I think they said to remove it and toss it in the garbage befor it leaks Defenitly coolant though.Also check the air bleeder valve under the air box as they can weep

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
First pic looks like antifreeze. The clamps for the coolant lines are heat shrink clamps and have been known to leak on some people. You would have to cut off and replace the bad ones.
Second one could be oil. If you changed the battery for the first time on your own, chances are the breather tube from the cam cover isn't connected to the air box properly.
zhù nǐchéng-gōng

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh,i see now coolant on the front and oil at the back.I would be more concerned about the coolant though.Cant find the post but that clamp rubs though one of the hoses and should be checked and removed on all v rods they said.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Oh,i see now coolant on the front and oil at the back.I would be more concerned about the coolant though.Cant find the post but that clamp rubs though one of the hoses and should be checked and removed on all v rods they said.
Old wives tail. I have been running with my coolant hoses properly clamped for 112,000 miles with no problems. One person encountered a problem so all bikes must be suspect??????

Run your fingers along the length of the coolant hoses looking for wet spots.

It's is possible the coolant clamps are a little looser then they should be. Lost of guys have had this problem. Using a long common blade screwdriver, tighten the two hose clamps on the top of the radiator a turn or two. Not to much as to damage the hoses however.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Old wives tail. I have been running with my coolant hoses properly clamped for 112,000 miles with no problems. One person encountered a problem so all bikes must be suspect??????

Run your fingers along the length of the coolant hoses looking for wet spots.

It's is possible the coolant clamps are a little looser then they should be. Lost of guys have had this problem. Using a long common blade screwdriver, tighten the two hose clamps on the top of the radiator a turn or two. Not to much as to damage the hoses however.
No it's a fact they were put on wrong on many bikes.The edge was of the bracket wears trough the pipe due to vibration.The post wasnt more than a few weeks ago and had pictures to illustrate.I'm not sure but I think it was v-mod who has been removing them since they were redundant anyway.I'll look at for the post I f you don't believe it.Much like the triple sprocket bolt issue not all bikes will have this problem but there is a percentage that do so why not look at it when troubleshooting?

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Matt,
Thanks for the update. I will file that problem in my brain somewhere. I agree if you have water leaks, look for anything that could cause it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts