Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I read a few post awhile ago about uneven tire wear on the front tire (tire would wear more on the left side). On my '08 NRS the same thing happend to me. Well, I changed out my stock exhaust to as aftermarket exhaust and I put on a new front tire (same stock Dunlop). Now the tire is wearing evenly. I've put almost 1500 miles on the tire and the small tits on the left hand side are still there. My thoughts, the stock exhaust is two dang heavy, and you are contantly countersteering the bike to the left hand side to keep her straight. This causes the front tire to wear on the left side. When I took my stock exhaust off I couldn't believe how heavy they were. They have to weigh about 20 pounds each. That's 40 pound on one side! Just my thoughts. :deal:

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
How's your tire pressure? I found out that if you run the stock Dunlop's at 39 lbs they don't wear on the left. Harley recommends 36 lbs which causes scalloping.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How's your tire pressure? I found out that if you run the stock Dunlop's at 39 lbs they don't wear on the left. Harley recommends 36 lbs which causes scalloping.
I have the front at the stock psi. I've also noticed that I can take my hands off the grips now when riding and the bike stays straight up (it no longer falls to the right). The bikes balance is much better. Just seems to me it was the stock exhaust. My friend has an NRS and he has the same issue.

·
a black one.
388 Posts
A friend was on-about that same problem the other night. It was his wheel bearings?

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
Get rid of the dunflops

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Hey guys I read a few post awhile ago about uneven tire wear on the front tire (tire would wear more on the left side). On my '08 NRS the same thing happend to me. Well, I changed out my stock exhaust to as aftermarket exhaust and I put on a new front tire (same stock Dunlop). Now the tire is wearing evenly. I've put almost 1500 miles on the tire and the small tits on the left hand side are still there. My thoughts, the stock exhaust is two dang heavy, and you are contantly countersteering the bike to the left hand side to keep her straight. This causes the front tire to wear on the left side. When I took my stock exhaust off I couldn't believe how heavy they were. They have to weigh about 20 pounds each. That's 40 pound on one side! Just my thoughts. :deal:
report back when you get to 3500 miles.
I also blamed the bike pulling to the right on the stock exhaust being so heavy. Then I changed my tires to Metzeler and just that change alone the bike would track perfectly straight when I let go of the bars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
report back when you get to 3500 miles.
I also blamed the bike pulling to the right on the stock exhaust being so heavy. Then I changed my tires to Metzeler and just that change alone the bike would track perfectly straight when I let go of the bars.
Will do, but I can't see how the tires would cause this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
tyres

theres a sponser on this site called " superbrace" read their spiel i think it will answer some of your questions.
cheers sonny

·
Registered
727 Posts
It cuold be several things that could possibly cause this. First could be tire pressure. Also could be wheel bearing. Could be low oil level in front fork on one side. Could be triple tree out of alignment. Just a few possiblities that you may consider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m having the exact same issue. I originally thought it was due to the tire taking a set from being parked but there are no flat spots on the tire; just even deformation. The bike does run straight though…

·
RMCIVI
28 Posts
Alot of the members are over thinking this concern. I concur with urban
cowboy about his tire concern and stock exh. Experienced same problem
i never let the dlr work on my scooters if possible, when i asked them about
this concern they came up with neck brgs, whl bearings, alignment, tire
pressures, etc. Absolutly the crappy dunlops and the extreme wt of the
stock exhaust. Went with a metzler frt tire and a d&d exhaust. Bike is
straight as it should be

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Funny the guys from a dealer told me that the reason the front tire on the Vrod wears on the left side is when you lay it over on the kick stand you only turn it on one side. It leans on the left side so that wears the tire. Because of the rake and trail it will eat tires

·
Registered
43 Posts
Funny the guys from a dealer told me that the reason the front tire on the Vrod wears on the left side is when you lay it over on the kick stand you only turn it on one side. It leans on the left side so that wears the tire. Because of the rake and trail it will eat tires
i think you should stay away from that dealer.....we're talking about a bike dealer ....right??:D
cheers sonny

·
Registered
179 Posts
my stock dunlops did the same thing with 7500 miles on them,i put avons on and i have 7500 miles on those, they look brand new still.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 07Dx wore the stock tire on the left side too but I took the original mufflers off when I only had 1000km on it. The bike would run straight as an arrow when I let the bars go but still wore bad on the left. The dealer told me it was the road is rounded in the middle thats why it wore bad. I Told him he was cracked.
I had to change the front before the rear at 7500km. I replaced both tires with Metzler's and 5000km later the tire is still wearing evenly.
Dunlops are junk IMO

·
HUGE member
2,010 Posts
Prolly cause it's meant to go in a straight line ... a well worn rear tire makes it easy to go straight :D Smoke 'em if you got 'em :D
There ya go...btw I thinnk its a combo of shitty dunlops and crowned roads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My rear tire keeps wearing in the middle.... hmmm I can't figure out why..
Ride her harder in the turns. It won't hurt it.:stilpoke:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts