Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the VRSCR, having picked up a new '07 last month after seeing that they had disappeared in the '08 model year (probably never to return, given the slow sales of that model :( ), and I'm definitely enjoying the handling and power of the bike but I gotta say, that stock seat is only marginally better than riding on a pair of bricks strapped together and the bars aren't anything to write home about either - maybe I'm just too short, but going downhill feels like I'm doing a hand-stand on them sometimes. So... On to my questions!

1. Anyone have any good recommendations for a more comfortable seat that won't increase the already formidable riding height of the bike? (I'm already on my tip-toes at stop lights)

2. How about a different set of bars that let one straighten up just a bit without necessarily losing all feel for the road in the process? The existing set don't exactly provide a huge amount of steering authority anyway, and they leave one (well, at least ME) splayed over the gas tank just to reach them.

3. Bags? Any favorites that actually work with this bike?

Thanks a million for any and all answers, folks! I've googled quite a bit for VRSCR accessories so far, but there's no substitute for actual user feedback and information like "well, I tried the sundowner seat, but fell over at the very first stop light because my feet were a foot off the ground!" :)

- Jordan

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

consider taking the bike to your local seat maker and having them shape the seat to match your body and replace the top 1" of foam with gel pad.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
jkh said:
Hey all,

I'm new to the VRSCR, having picked up a new '07 last month after seeing that they had disappeared in the '08 model year (probably never to return, given the slow sales of that model :( ), and I'm definitely enjoying the handling and power of the bike but I gotta say, that stock seat is only marginally better than riding on a pair of bricks strapped together and the bars aren't anything to write home about either - maybe I'm just too short, but going downhill feels like I'm doing a hand-stand on them sometimes. So... On to my questions!

1. Anyone have any good recommendations for a more comfortable seat that won't increase the already formidable riding height of the bike? (I'm already on my tip-toes at stop lights)

2. How about a different set of bars that let one straighten up just a bit without necessarily losing all feel for the road in the process? The existing set don't exactly provide a huge amount of steering authority anyway, and they leave one (well, at least ME) splayed over the gas tank just to reach them.

3. Bags? Any favorites that actually work with this bike?

Thanks a million for any and all answers, folks! I've googled quite a bit for VRSCR accessories so far, but there's no substitute for actual user feedback and information like "well, I tried the sundowner seat, but fell over at the very first stop light because my feet were a foot off the ground!" :)

- Jordan
Yep - get your seat to Rick Mayer and have him work his magic - for as little as $300 - you can have a VERY comfy - easy to reach the ground seat that looks great.

Any bars you put on that will be taller and/or wider will require at least a brake cable change. That seems to trip up a lot of people here but you do have a lot of options from the HD market as far as bars. Lots of people have put D bars on with great success. My suggestion is do the seat first, then the bars.

Bags, I think your two biggest options are the HD bags (which are nice, but not very big), and the Corbin beetle bags - big and $$$$.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is where I'm at:

Seat: Tried the sundowner, didn't work for me, too high and coundn't ride more that 2 hrs without being sore. Then I had the stock seat re-worked, cut down, Gel-pad. Position was better, but still not comfortable for any long period of time. Broke down and bought the corbin - does the trick perfect.

Bags: I found a sweet deal on the HD Hard bags in my color on e-bay, took a little bit of work but mounted up and look great on the bike. They are not real big, but are fine for a week-end trip.

Handle bars: After buying 4 different sets off e-bay, I ended up with the reduced reach bars, with interal wiring. Look great and I sit upright. As said the front brake line had to be replaced. Goodridge 18" (2) and a 22" with splitter did the trick and look much better than the stock unit.

I then lowered the front 1" and the back 1" I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a Rick Mayer seat and I like it. I enjoy the 06 bars and for bags, try RKA out of Windsor, CA. He makes them himslef and only 175 for the 33 liter bags.

·
beer me
240 Posts
Welcome

:) Check out the Hollywood seat from Corbin, lowers you down a bit, maybe a inch or more, it's a somewhat stiff seat however its actually very comfy even for long rides.

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey if you want to get rid of your old R bars send me a pm and let me know how much to ship to GA

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Enjoy that R, they Rule! I have the HD bags on mine. I like that the bags pop off easily and the bracket comes off with in about 5 mins. with just an allen wrench. The bags are a bit small but are a good scale match for the bike. They are good enough for daily riding or maybe a weekend.
The folks on this site are great and full of all kinds of info, some of it useful.
Ride safe

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I rode my R to NC on the stock seat...completed the 650 mile trip in one day!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the Corbin "Close Hollywood Solo", its comfortable and lowers you about an inch I think, so it will help you get off those tip toes.

Its pricey, but comfortable, good quality and easy to install yourself.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
The stock seat had me wanting to trade in the bike for a geezer glide, but I bought the sundowner and it is better. Not a lazyboy by any stretch of the imagination, but definately increases my riding time. Also got the sundowner pass. pillion and backrest for the wife. She says it's a major improvement. I'm sure the corbin is the way to go, but i COULDN'T justify the cost yet.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Gee, did I hear my name mentioned?

I have the Sundowners and like them. It did take a few miles to break it into my butt shape.
I have the HD bags, a tad bit small, but I still like. I miss my trunk when I'm on the Street Rod.
I installed stock B bars and brake line - love it!

I still plan on getting some forward pegs at some point :broke: but for now I can rest my boots on the engine guard.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
The only thing uncomfortable about the R currently is I can not get another one yet.

Placed a sundowner seat on my old one and felt like I could ride forever, it was much nicer then stock.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uncomfortable VRSCR: Thanks a mil for all the replies so far!

Wow, what a great forum! You guys rock!

Lot of really good information in the replies so far. I agree with the sentiment that I should change things out step by step, starting with the seat and then working on the bars if the seat alone does not substantially improve the riding position. The custom seat idea sounded great, but somewhat harder to coordinate than simply having UPS drop off a ready-made seat that I could install myself (I live in a remote location up in the mountains), so yesterday I bought a Hollywood Solo ("Closer" model) seat from corbin.com - can hardly wait for it to get here!

Once that's done, I'll look at different bar types at the dealer (the nice lady in parts is always willing to bring 5 or 6 sets out and hold them on the bike so I can see how they would look and feel), then one of the sets of bags people have recommended. Then maybe some new pipes.. HD race tuner.. Oh god, it's starting, I can feel it.

BTW, to the person who suggested getting forward controls on his R, I'm not sure I'd recommend that. My wife has a VRSCA and, while very comfortable and all, those forward pegs touch down awfully early (I know, I scrape them every time I borrow her bike :) ). The R has a lean angle that can't be beat (for a stock HD anyway) - why compromise it? If you're looking for comfort and handling mixed together, you might also check out a used FXDX (another fine bike that HD discontinued). I have an '06 with a *very* comfortable Mustang seat (designed for the wide glide) and it's still my bike of choice for long trips.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I wouldn't go forward controls, but I might add foldable highway pegs off the frame or engine guard.

If you look for bags - keep close tabs on eBay, I got the whole thing, brackets and all for less than $300.

·
Registered
106 Posts
:welcome: I went with the sundowner seat option both rider and pillion ( might make it a bit higher though), Also have the HD bags and went to 1200 sportster bars, definitely need a brake line change went with 3 x 17" braided lines and a tee under the steering head, std cables and clutch line can be made to do the job. What a difference. It's all part of the experience with setting up to suit your own requirements.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts