Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some issues with my F. I took my handlebars to get them powder coated and installed them back yesterday. The bike started fine but now I can't get the bike started. Seems like the alarm is active, but i can't even pull the codes. My turn signals aren't working and my Neutral light is not displaying either. Dash and lights all light up. I'm going crazy here, I have both the service and electrical manual but can't figure this one out.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I'm having some issues with my F. I took my handlebars to get them powder coated and installed them back yesterday. The bike started fine but now I can't get the bike started. Seems like the alarm is active, but i can't even pull the codes. My turn signals aren't working and my Neutral light is not displaying either. Dash and lights all light up. I'm going crazy here, I have both the service and electrical manual but can't figure this one out.
Any help is appreciated.
I would guess that your IGNITION fuse is blown. (Located in fuse block under upper right side cover).

If it is the IGNITION fuse, you'll need to find out why it blew. It could have been due to an intermittent short while assembling the bar. Did you pull the MAIN fuse before working on the bike? This is a common cause for blown fuses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess that your IGNITION fuse is blown. (Located in fuse block under upper right side cover).

If it is the IGNITION fuse, you'll need to find out why it blew. It could have been due to an intermittent short while assembling the bar. Did you pull the MAIN fuse before working on the bike? This is a common cause for blown fuses.
Genius! Found the blown fuse, it goes when I try to start the bike, pulled code and it is indeed showing a security module pn 69976-08. Thank you sir!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Genius! Found the blown fuse, it goes when I try to start the bike, pulled code and it is indeed showing a security module pn 69976-08. Thank you sir!
When a part number is shown while reading diagnostics it doesn't mean there's a problem with that device. The 69976-08 just means you have a HFSM (hands-free security module) installed.

Blowing the IGNITION fuse when you try to start the bike indicates that a short is present in the right side hand controls. Look for a problem with the gray wire inside the control cavity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When a part number is shown while reading diagnostics it doesn't mean there's a problem with that device. The 69976-08 just means you have a HFSM (hands-free security module) installed.

Blowing the IGNITION fuse when you try to start the bike indicates that a short is present in the right side hand controls. Look for a problem with the gray wire inside the control cavity.
Yes sir found it and fixed it, there was a little wire showing that I guess got bit when installing the controls. Can't thank you enough, she's up and running again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...is there a elm27 type reader? Is there a device, hardware code reader, tool?...
There's a Data Link Connector (DLC) that provides access to the digital data line used for data transmission between the bikes electronic modules. On an '07 VRSCD it's located under the upper left sidecover. The DLC uses a simple 4-place Deutsch connector that's nothing like the 16-place ELM327 OBDII connector. The Harley dealers have a Digital Technician software for communicating with the bike through the DLC. The DT performs all types of electrical diagnostics including reading codes and programming the various modules on the bike but you can't buy this. Several aftermarket "tuning" devices also use the DLC to reprogram the fuel delivery map stored in the ECM (electronic control module). These aftermarket programmers will also read the DTCs but these are expensive tools for scanning codes.

Some aftermarket devices are available for smartphones that use bluetooth communication via code readers designed for the ELM327 port. (A cable is provided to connect the bike's 4-place Deutsch connector to the bluetooth ELM327 connector.) These devices are aimed at providing a "digital dashboard" on the smart phone screen and also a pricey way to read DLCs.

Fortunately the bike itself has "IM self-diagnostics" (IM = instrument module) accessible by using the trip odometer reset button. The procedure for reading and clearing codes is explained in this post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
...is there a elm27 type reader? Is there a device, hardware code reader, tool?...
There's a Data Link Connector (DLC) that provides access to the digital data line used for data transmission between the bikes electronic modules. On an '07 VRSCD it's located under the upper left sidecover. The DLC uses a simple 4-place Deutsch connector that's nothing like the 16-place ELM327 OBDII connector. The Harley dealers have a Digital Technician software for communicating with the bike through the DLC. The DT performs all types of electrical diagnostics including reading codes and programming the various modules on the bike but you can't buy this. Several aftermarket "tuning" devices also use the DLC to reprogram the fuel delivery map stored in the ECM (electronic control module). These aftermarket programmers will also read the DTCs but these are expensive tools for scanning codes.

Some aftermarket devices are available for smartphones that use bluetooth communication via code readers designed for the ELM327 port. (A cable is provided to connect the bike's 4-place Deutsch connector to the bluetooth ELM327 connector.) These devices are aimed at providing a "digital dashboard" on the smart phone screen and also a pricey way to read DLCs.

Fortunately the bike itself has "IM self-diagnostics" (IM = instrument module) accessible by using the trip odometer reset button. The procedure for reading and clearing codes is explained in this post.
Fantastic, helpful post! Thanks a lot.

Pretty pissed off at myself for not pulling off the seat and looking at the wiring when I was purchasing it. Too many of us on the forums will say we don't like to do electrical when in fact it is easy on these bikes as far as lighting is concerned. Butt splices.... Ugh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.