Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...hey all....
So, as I posted previously, I just received a new '08 DX and after looking at it sit in my driveway all weekend (of course it was perfect out both days;-) because I'm an idiot....I thought the registry was open on Sat. mornings........AAAArrrrgh!
Anyhow, I was just finishing up putting on the first 60 miles or so, and as I'm coming to a 90 deg right hand turn, I pull in the clutch to downshift from fourth and.....IT SHUT OFF!!!!!! The bike just STOPPED. Fortunately, I was on a WAY back road and just coasted to a halt on the side o the road. WTF was THAT all about???? I turned from ign-off-ign-off a few times and couldn't get it to start up....then realized I still had to downshift it to neutral (remember me....the idiot?;-) and it started right up and I drove the 2-3 more miles home.

Any friggin Idea what would do this? It's the FIRST DAY OUT ON IT! I hope I don't need to be wary of taking it out for longer trips too far from home.....It's a great time to head up north for the foliage and shizz.....

Oh, yeah, The bike RIPS!!!!! it smoothed out pretty good after the first 20-25 miles or so. (Took my sporty almost 1500 miles to smooth out like that....oh well) I kept it under 50 and 5k rpms while alternating speeds/gears and revs the whole time.....can't wait till I can rip it up to 7000+ in 3rd and fourth gear......

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Be glad you have a neutral safety switch! I'll bet there are others on here who wish THEY did! :hidesbeh:

Luckily, I always start mine with the front brake engaged.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How much gas did you have? Just a thought since you were in a turn.

Also make sure your battery cables are tight

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vrod23 said:
How much gas did you have? Just a thought since you were in a turn.

Also make sure your battery cables are tight
Will check the cables, but I just pulled in the clutch in ANTICIPATION of needing to downshift for the turn about 50 feet ahead.....
I only had gone around 60 miles at this point on a full tank.....gauge reads a tad over half full (although we all know not to put too much stock in THAT!;-)

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it is a habit. It probably just hic-cupped a bit on deceleration and the flame went out just 'cause the motor's still tight. Keep riding and I'll bet you'll find this is a one-time deal. The early v-rods died all the time at idle just to keep you on your toes...Remember, this motor barely makes enough power at idle to keep the motor spinning.

·
'06 night rod
567 Posts
didn't know they had neutral safety switches now.....any way to easily add it to to an '06?

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
Since it's still fairley new to you could you have bumped the kill switch while prepairing for the corner?

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
yzfguy said:
didn't know they had neutral safety switches now.....any way to easily add it to to an '06?
Don't worry after you try to start it in gear the first 3-4 times it's real easy to remember to check that it's in neutral.... or so I've heard.:hidesbeh:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
yzfguy said:
No. The wire harness is completely different.

The neutral saftey switch and the clutch saftey switch require a new TSSM and new wiring harness. No EASY way to add them.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Gripit_n_Ripit said:
Will check the cables, but I just pulled in the clutch in ANTICIPATION of needing to downshift for the turn about 50 feet ahead.....
I only had gone around 60 miles at this point on a full tank.....gauge reads a tad over half full (although we all know not to put too much stock in THAT!;-)
If it was an early bike, you'd be lookin' for a gas station...

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Youngzee said:
Since it's still fairley new to you could you have bumped the kill switch while prepairing for the corner?
I did that once...it's fairly easy to do on an unfamilar bike. I felt like an idiot, but at least I recovered ok. :banghead:

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Same here, bumped the switch while going for the right turn signal button!!! DOH!!!!

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Youngzee said:
I thought the same thing......I guess it's possible, but the controls are set up the same for my 1200 sporty too.....anyways, I just took it out again and no problems....at 100 miles the fuel indicater came on and the odo switched to show 24 miles remaining.....here's the weird thing, I tanked up at 101.9 miles and put in 4.418 gallons.....That means I've gotten 23.65 miles per gallon??????????? Is that just because it's new....or because I'm staying under 5K on the tach and in 2-4 gear mostly? Or.....is something not quite right?

{EDIT} SHIT! JUST REALIZED.....DOES THAT MEAN MY GAUGE WAS TELLING ME I COULD GO 23 MORE MILES ON JUST OVER HALF A GALLON????

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Gripit_n_Ripit said:
I too have an 08 DX it hasn't hiccupped since I've had it. It runs strong and now has ~850 miles on the clock. You should mention this to the dealership where you got it so they know that there may be an issue. With a new bike there may still be infant mortality problems (things that should work because they're new but have a problem). Good luck figuring out the problem if there is one, you will enjoy the bike much more once it's broken in, gaurenteed!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not the same problem, but...

I haven't experienced the same problem, but when started cold the engine has died 3 or 4 times when first starting to move forward. I now compensate for that by using a bit more throttle and playing with the clutch. Yes, I am letting it warm up for about 1 minute or more before releasing the clutch. I'm curious about how it's going to act when it gets really cold since I tend to ride year round (unless there's ice or snow) here in Virginia. When the motor is warmed up, I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
380 Posts
mine is very touchy until the motor is completely warmed also. (I mean 10 to 12 miles into a ride) It also runs pretty rough around 3000 rpm until thoroughly warm. It doesn't seem to matter what the temp is outside though, as I have riddin in 40 deg weather as well as 90. I have an 08 AW.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts