Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike with a set of dealer paperwork, 1k mile tune up etc etc. 1400 miles when I got it.

A few night ago, it started running poorly. No power at 1st, then it started sputtering, stalling etc. 3 or 4 backfires through the intake too. I was in a bad area, so I limped it home . Didnt hear anything crazy. I put it in the garage b/c I had to head out for work.

SO, Im finally get back home today. I planned on doing all of the typical troubleshooting 1st, (battery, grounds, fuel flange etc) I take the airbox cover off...and there is no filter. WTF

Im going to order up a filter tomorrow, then get back to my trouble shooting.

Whats the worst case scenario here? (running without a filter)

surprise!

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
As long as nothing was sucked into the throttle body, it would not do much if any damage. The same happens with modern cars when you run them without the filter. The mass air meter maxes out and will more often than not the ecm can't adjust and will shut the motor down. Just put a filter on it, and it should be fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what Im thinking rodder. We will see ;) Ive only ridden 100 miles, in nice weather in the city. No rain, dusty roads etc. Who knows how long it was like this prior to me buying in. He did bring the bike to the local dealer b/c the fuel gauge was busted (2 wks before I bought it) perhaps the tech forgot the filter??

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
streetrodder06 said:
As long as nothing was sucked into the throttle body, it would not do much if any damage. The same happens with modern cars when you run them without the filter. The mass air meter maxes out and will more often than not the ecm can't adjust and will shut the motor down. Just put a filter on it, and it should be fine.

The V-Rod does not use a Mass Flow system.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
I know, but too much air may have caused it to shut down

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Not really sure how to explain it, so I used that as an example. Lean it out so much that the mixture would not be able to ignite?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Well it sounds like a bad fuel flange as far as the running problems.

I doubt being without the filter did much if any damage at all with only 1k miles total on the bike. I would put the filter in and worry about fixing the fuel flange and then motor on.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Was this bike sold by a dealer? I would have thought they would have caught it, or if it was sold privately, I would have expected the lack of an air filter to be noted on their inspection paperwork, at the 1000 mile service.

Assuming you are not in a real dusty environment, I would expect no harm. Some of the "high performance" filters used by some offer very little filtration anyway. Clearly the highest performance filter in terms of air flow, is what you have now, no filter.

Get a high quality filter, with good air flow AND good filtration. I have had excellent results from the AMSOIL filter I am using.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought it from a guy who rarely used it (his bagger got all the love) Just before I bought it from him, he had it at the dealer to diagnose the faulty fuel gauge....he probably rode it back from the dealer and let it sit. (he gave me a $500 discout for the faulty gauge too, as the dealer quoted him $390 to fix it :rolleyes:)

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
Id be back at the dealer complaining about it. That should have been caught in the inspection. You need to get the lid that holds on the aircleaner and then the airbox top. That should be on the dealer dime

·
Sergrod
676 Posts
i have a 06A bought it new it sealer and they put the filter on but never put the cover and wing nut on had about tree hundred miles brought it back I got a full extended warrenty and if any thing happens to the motor their fixing it all free

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, all I have is the black cover that clips on, and of course the anodized tin.

Im missing:
-filter
-bracket to secure filter
-wingnut

Right?

Ill have an Amsoil filter Friday, PCIII should be here by Wed. Seems like a great time to get my cans to V Mod ;-)

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to change out the oil as well. Seeing that the filter situation is like it is, some fresh clean Syn (Amsoil) would do the trick and at least make me sleep better at night.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts