Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Feels like flying
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I have crashed on my bike. Where does the insurance company usually try to get the bike repaired at? Where should I try to have the bike repaired at? I am concerned that if they don't total the bike, I will end up with a F*%&ed up SE2. I would appreciate any advise you guys and gals can offer to make sure I have a safe bike to ride in the future.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Most want a dealer to do them because of the liablity the insurance company faces if it isn't fixed correctly. They may also have certified shops in your area as well.
 

·
Guitar, not Gator
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
My insurance company let me take my geezer glide anywhere, but I was living in deep south TX and the only place that could get the parts "fast" was the dealer. By fast, I mean 3 months.

Good luck.
 

·
spit happens
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
Have a dealer do an estimate also.They know HD's better than an insurance agent.Check your bike as well,and you go over the estimate and see if there is anything missing from the estimate.If there is any scratch make sure that piece is replaced also.This is the line I used when mine was wrecked "It wasn't there before the wreck".Also Probably doesn't matter in your case since you have an SE,but alotta chrome parts are cheaper than the painted version.
 

·
WHATEVER
Joined
·
3,739 Posts
If the MOCO owns the title to your bike then they want it repaired by a certified HD tech preferably at a dealer. It ticked me off but I am lucky because the only other person that I would let work on my bike is a great friend and a tech.

When you get it appraised, go through it with a fine tooth comb and as Vinny stated above make them repair everything.

Alot of it hinges on your insurance company. If you have any questions PM me as I just went through this crap!
 

·
Feels like flying
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. The guy that hit me apparently is in the risk pool, so he has bare bones liability for what it sounds like. I'm with Progressive and am still waiting for the claim to be assigned to an adjuster. I'll make sure it goes to my HD dealer for estimate and repair. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered Abuser
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Depends on if you own it or are making payments. If you own it, they will just write you a check and you can do whatever you like. Not sure what happens if have a loan on it. I believe it is different then, but that is just what the HD dickhead told me. I had mine repaired in record time, had them do the estimate and then took it to a smaller shop where we ordered the parts at 20% discount and went from there. It was a whole lot faster, 1 month vs. 5 to 6 months at the stealership.
 

·
Youngest VRODDER
Joined
·
265 Posts
I was hit by a cager and the adjuster wanted me to take it local. I said no way and that i was going to bring it to my local dealer which was actually 3 hours away from where i was hit. The adjust came out with the figure of 4,300 for repairs. I brought it to the stealership and they came up with 2000 for repairs. Apparently harley is getting lazy because they were off over 2,000 bucks. we went with the adjusters figures plus and minus a few parts. the adjuster gave me money for handlebars, radiator unit, and chrome swing arm. Handle bars and radiator were fine(as of now still in shop) and the swing arm had a little dent in it, very small and covered by the stock pipes. I said forget about all 3 parts saving me around 1,100 bucks. The stock pipes run around the same as aftermarket pipes, so i went with V&H 2 in 1 in 2 power shots for like 50 dollars more and the 150 for the download and new filter. so 200 dollars more for better performing and louder mufflers. They're also good because i didnt sacrifice much on appearance because everyone knows the stock pipes are sexy as can be.

My other recommendation is to ask for all parts from the crash. I have saved all mine and i can use them for replacements and im able to sell for a couple bucks here and there.. i have 7 piece set of tins that if i didnt keep then i would be 300 bucks in the whole. my best recommendations.
 

·
Feels like flying
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any one have a recommendation for the Chicago area for a dealership that excels at crash repair? I bought from Zylstra HD in St. Charles (formerly Elgin) and I don't think they have a good rep in general. There are quite a few dealers in my area. Anyone with experience good or bad, I would love to hear from you!
 

·
Lets Ride...
Joined
·
475 Posts
Falconfire said:
Any one have a recommendation for the Chicago area for a dealership that excels at crash repair? I bought from Zylstra HD in St. Charles (formerly Elgin) and I don't think they have a good rep in general. There are quite a few dealers in my area. Anyone with experience good or bad, I would love to hear from you!
Sorry to hear about the crash. I had one last Fall and ended up taking the bike to Suburban HD in Palatine, only because they are my regular dealer. They hooked up with my State Farm agent, he accepted their quote immediately, sent me a check and they rebuilt the bike. I had a lot of other stuff done since the bike was torn down and the project ended up taking 9 1/2 months. Just got it back a week ago. The Service Dept. at Suburban is very anal retentive about putting it together and they regularly build bikes from scratch. They are not fast but they do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Mystery1111 said:
My other recommendation is to ask for all parts from the crash. I have saved all mine and i can use them for replacements and im able to sell for a couple bucks here and there.. i have 7 piece set of tins that if i didnt keep then i would be 300 bucks in the whole. my best recommendations.

Not all insurance companies will allow that, technically the ins co. owns the parts they replace. I have seen ins companies request all parts back.

Also the Moco may not allow you to keep them if they are protected parts. For example if the dealer wants to get a gas tank with 100 year aniv badging or stickers on it they must return one like it or else they get a $5000 fine.
 

·
Youngest VRODDER
Joined
·
265 Posts
X1 MIKE said:
Not all insurance companies will allow that, technically the ins co. owns the parts they replace. I have seen ins companies request all parts back.

Also the Moco may not allow you to keep them if they are protected parts. For example if the dealer wants to get a gas tank with 100 year aniv badging or stickers on it they must return one like it or else they get a $5000 fine.

I completely agree. My stealership told me that they may not be able to.. But i definately recommend asking in the least. Thanks for the clarity.. No one needs a fine but its worth the shot... ive been lucky so far.
 

·
Feels like flying
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heard about them

Toys 'R Me said:
Sorry to hear about the crash. I had one last Fall and ended up taking the bike to Suburban HD in Palatine, only because they are my regular dealer. They hooked up with my State Farm agent, he accepted their quote immediately, sent me a check and they rebuilt the bike. I had a lot of other stuff done since the bike was torn down and the project ended up taking 9 1/2 months. Just got it back a week ago. The Service Dept. at Suburban is very anal retentive about putting it together and they regularly build bikes from scratch. They are not fast but they do it right.
I have heard pretty good things about Suburban. One of the guys I work with has bought numerous bikes through them and is a very loyal customer. I will add them to my list of possibles. Thanks.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top