·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type (not brand) do you wear while riding your v-rod

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Depends where I'm riding, for how long, and on the conditions.

I wear my beanie around town and on short trips. I wear my 3/4 for longer trips (it helps with wind nose - my ears don't ring as much afterwards) and I wear my full face if the weather is cold or I feel like having virtually no wind noise at all.

It really just depends on the day, and what I am in the mood for. I would at least have a beanie and a full face. It's amazing how much of a difference a full face makes after you've worn a beanie for a long time!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm somewhat like fehrc. I wear a beanie around town, and a shortie on longer trips. Full face when it is too cold for the ears, or if it might rain.

-Bry

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
I usually wear my full face, even in the hot dreaded summer. My Arai is comfortable and stays cool. WHen not wearing a full face, it either my skid lid or skull cap. Me not wearing a helmet is getting less and less :D

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Really depend on what I am doing. Summer time just cruising around I will wear the brain bucket. If I plan on being on a highway or it is cold I will wear the fullface.

·
1,738 Posts
Just purchased this helmet at the Seattle Motorcycle Show. Paid $299.00 for it. Have not rode with it yet, but like the fit and features. I was tired of taking my glasses to take off or put on my Fulmer Full face helmet.

It has a flip down sunshield like the Shuberth (more money and too bulbous in my opinion). Also, won't have to take off my helmet at gas stations to answer questions about the bike.

http://www.flipopen.com/

Attachments

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Fred,

I use the Jarow and love it. I'll probably have to buy the wife one to replace her HJC flip up :( :)

Mark

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey,

Full face... Have you driven in the UK? Rain and bumpers.

I have the Schuberth S1- very quite, really nice quality and has a cool internal sun visor that pops down when you move a slides placed on the shell. It's so top gun!

I also have a new Arai AstroJ- Louder, but the most comfortable helmet I've ever had on...love it.

Used to ride in mushroom caps (half helmets) when I lived in Canada. But the days of empty roads and sunshine are over.

Hey- there are a lot of Full face users here ... compared to general HD riders.

Rodman

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
HJC full face flip-up most of the time. have a half helmet for in town stuff. The full face is so much more comfortable.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Me? Open face with shield.

Went to see a friend, he told me a little ditty bout a friend of his that smacked a 4' X 8' piece of plywood that flew off of a truck on the freeway. The edge caught him at the chin area, and as he was wearing a full face, he survuved the impact, but messed the helmet up. He has neck problems from the impact, but he is alive to talk about it.

So my next lid is going to be a full face.

Still looking for cool body armor though. Wife thinks I am obsessed with going down, and can't figure out why I am looking so hard for th eequipment. She went for a dive off her mountain bike, over the bars, training for EXTERRA on Maui. Her highside was caused by too much brake on loose debris at about 18 to 20 MPH, and she was rashed out, stiches and torn rotator cup on her left shoulder. And she still can't figure it out.

·
4,638 Posts
I prefer the skid lid... Looks good light weight......

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
ketsugos looks like it might make him popular with the ladies.

:D

Rich, I mountain bike too, and it is pretty much impossible to do cross country in all that gear... too hot and too cumbersome. Gloves, helmet, and battle scars :rolleyes:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Greg,

Knee pads and elbow guards would have prevented the stiches in her elbow, and the rashing that happened. Even if they would have slid up on impact, they would have done their primary job.

I know it is difficult to even keep that junk in place when riding, but when she did the event 3 weeks after her high side, she wore the protective gear, and even went down a couple of times and said it saved her from causing fresh damage to her body. of course, she was more cautious as nothing like a high side to teach one about how far you can't really fly for a comfortable landing.

Unfortunately she was too cautious, she was disqaulified half way through the mountain event. They ride up and then down, off-roading the slopes of Haleakala on Maui. She said it was like riding accross a gravel and boulder pit, as the size of the rocks were like bowling balls. And this was most of the trail ride.

The event is to be telecasted sometime in january, and if anyone is a mountain biker, check it out, as this one is the peak of mountain bike racing, known as one if not the hardest one to ride.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
RIch,
I agree to dress for the crash, and not the ride, but I do sypmpathize with her for choosing comfort. I have spent some time in an emergency room, but, my worst accident have been on my road bike. Broken 2 helmets. Look forward to seeing the event. probably on OLN, which is why I have satellite now :D
high side su(k, don't they. Hope she heals well.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Full-face when out on the 'Rod. Highsides suck - I've managed two in the past two years.

Rich - Ouch! Sorry to hear about your wife. You might want to check out some of the more "sportbike-centric" shops for body armor. Bohn has some good stuff... Phil Caudill at www.moto-heaven.com has the best prices I've seen. I've been wearing a breathable Bohn "Pro-Racer" back protector under my leathers and love it - it provides full protection all the way to your tailbone, with extra padding along the spine and kidney areas. Your street-riding friends might look at you a little strangely tho.

·
Registered
139 Posts
These helmets were purchased several years ago from a guy in Russia. I saw these on his website and thought they were......uh, uh, unusual.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts