Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used '06 D with 160 miles on it, I've put on another 150 miles.
When I decellarate I am hearing a whirring sound from the rear wheel area on the belt side, is this normal? The noise is there without the brakes applied and also when applied. The other problem I've ran into is after bike has run for a while and restarted the throttle does not return as it should. I have to roll the thottle back between shifts and then it clears up. The previous owner had the bike for 4 months and rode it 3 times. Was kept outside under a bike cover. Throttle cable lubrication?
I bought a service manual and the seller has yet to find me the owners manual.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
The WHIR may be belt tension related. The cable issue is PROBABLY a lubrication issue, or cable tension issue.

RJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check into these this weekend. I was wondering if there was adjustments that needed to be made after so many miles, something the owners manual would tell you. Thanks for the reply

Ant
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
antony031 said:
Will check into these this weekend. I was wondering if there was adjustments that needed to be made after so many miles, something the owners manual would tell you. Thanks for the reply

Ant
300 miles? It's not even broken in yet!
 

·
Jeff/Modistrator
Joined
·
6,136 Posts
You may want to check the throttle friction adjusting screw on the bottom of the switch housing also.
 

·
Midwest Pimp
Joined
·
3,106 Posts
antony031 said:
Just bought a used '06 D with 160 miles on it, I've put on another 150 miles.
When I decellarate I am hearing a whirring sound from the rear wheel area on the belt side, is this normal? The noise is there without the brakes applied and also when applied. The other problem I've ran into is after bike has run for a while and restarted the throttle does not return as it should. I have to roll the thottle back between shifts and then it clears up. The previous owner had the bike for 4 months and rode it 3 times. Was kept outside under a bike cover. Throttle cable lubrication?
I bought a service manual and the seller has yet to find me the owners manual.
Not sure about the belt issue, but if the bike has after market grips, most likely the throttle cables need adjusting. It's a simple fix that is explained in the service manual. Post up if you have any problems finding it in there.
Take care and ride safe.
 

·
"A" model citizen
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
Check the BOLT THAT DRIVES THE WATER PUMP, it is under the left hand side cover up top (not the one under the derby cover) I've just been through pure HELL because of this 2.00 bolt, it wil only take 30 to 40 min to check it to make sure it it still torqued in place I'd put some LOC-TIGHT on it myself.
 

·
"A" is the only way
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
CTMorgan111 said:
Check the BOLT THAT DRIVES THE WATER PUMP, it is under the left hand side cover up top (not the one under the derby cover) I've just been through pure HELL because of this 2.00 bolt, it wil only take 30 to 40 min to check it to make sure it it still torqued in place I'd put some LOC-TIGHT on it myself.

Being brand new pretty much - I doubt that is the issue. I wouldn't go pulling the alt cover off until you check other things first. If you haven't done anything to the pipes you will hear the belt running around.
 

·
"A" model citizen
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
I was posting that not saying that was his problem at this point but I've heard of the bolt backing out in as little as 1000 miles and it is a very EASY check to prevent further issues later on down the road. mine is a 2006 and I've just been through a month of hell and now have a bike that does not run right because of it (that bolt).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked the throttle friction knob , thats not it. checked the cable , seems ok but at the end the cable has a bend in it that is between the cable cover end and the carb linkage. that section of cable makes it to the linkage on throttle and and stops right before the the cover end. Its only happens when bike is hot and at all revs light or heavy which is leading me towards lubrication.And i'll check the routing.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top