Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m test riding a VROD on Monday and will place an order. I’m not quite sure, though, as to the differences between the A and the B. I understand that the B is a stripped down version with closer gear ratios and I guess a little quicker off the mark and perhaps with more top end grunt. The power issue is also a little confusing. Here in France it’s restricted to 100bhp but my local dealer (as far as I can understand) says it’s no problem to de-restrict to 115bhp. Is this a simple matter of re-chipping or/and changing the mufflers? Any advice would be most welcome.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
The B is for the Black frame. I don't think the gearing is any different in the 04 model they all have the 28 tooth pulley. :kaz:

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
runit1971 said:
The B is for the Black frame. I don't think the gearing is any different in the 04 model they all have the 28 tooth pulley. :kaz:
Unless your outside North America, then I think you still have to buy your own 28T for either model, you do in the UK for sure.
The clocks and bars are different and appear to be a slightly further reach on the B, polished cases instead of chrome on the B too.
I'm sure you will be happy with either the A or B., it's all down to personal taste.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
cubota said:
I’m not quite sure, though, as to the differences between the A and the B. I understand that the B is a stripped down version...
Performance-wise the bikes are identical. The major difference is on the engine trim - the "B" model has lightly polished alloy, and the "A" model comes with chrome. To put some perspective on this, the MoCo sells a chrome engine cover kit (for "B" model owners) for a cool $1000. It has been my observation that lightly polished alloy parts tend to become dull and grey looking very quickly, especially if a bike is kept or ridden in wet conditions.

So the choice comes down to: How much do you like the look of the black frame? If you were planning on buying an "A", and later repainting the frame black - then you'd do better to get the "B" model.

Bonne chance avec votre nouvelle moto, et bienvenue à la famille des propriétaires de V-Rod!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vroddrew said:
Bonne chance avec votre nouvelle moto, et bienvenue à la famille des propriétaires de V-Rod!
Merci beaucoup. Funny how I was a little mislead by the puffery on the official H-D website. Price wise the B is cheaper than the A so it's difficult to figure out why. I've sold my Beemer R1100GS and a Honda XR dirtbike to kick-start the finance on this. I've still got my Ducati 748 as I've been brought up on Triumphs, WSB, and IoM TT races. This whole Harley thing seems a bit focussed on bits, bobs and colour. I'm happy to go for the VROD after 30 years of motorcycling because it's got some get up and go and can (sort of) go round bends. So, can one do stuff to make the VROD more of a sports bike than a dragster? Also, you guys might be interested to know that here in France and the UK a VROD is some $6,000 more expensive than in the US, so a commitment to Harley is big buckets of cash.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
cubota said:
So, can one do stuff to make the VROD more of a sports bike than a dragster?
Nothing that I've seen. Most of the effort here has been focused on increasing the power output (which IMHO it doesn't really need) and so forth.

To make much of a change in the handling characteristics would require three things: 1) A much less steeply raked front end; 2) repositioning of the footpegs back in the frame; and 3) putting the bike on a weight loss program (i.e. lighter wheels, brakes, exhaust, etc.)

As far as handling is concerned, the biggest challenge is the "feet forward" and upright seating position. With your feet sticking way out to the sides, you will start dragging footpegs long before you seriously begin to challenge the traction of the tires. And the V-Rod is heavy - at least compared to sportbikes. With its relatively steeply raked front end, it certainly isn't the sort of bike you flick into a corner. Adding a wider rear tire only exacerbates the situation.

Don't get me wrong - the V-Rod is not a bad handling motorcycle, and for most "A" class roads it probably will be fine, and a very comfortable ride. You'll certainly have no problem overtaking German tourists towing their trailers. But is it the sort of bike I'd want to ride through the passes of the Pyrennees? Probably not - with all that weight, and the steep front end, it can be a trick to handle on very sharp curves, especially if the road is steeply sloped.

·
Vreedgone
12 Posts
First of all welcome! :kaz: You will love the bike. I recently bought the 04 "A" bike. Most of the differences have been pointed out but also the gauge cluster is different, no alarm and when you add in the difference in chrome parts the price on the "A" looks a lot better than the "B".

But as they say, get what you want!

Vic

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
cubota said:
I’m test riding a VROD on Monday and will place an order. I’m not quite sure, though, as to the differences between the A and the B. I understand that the B is a stripped down version with closer gear ratios and I guess a little quicker off the mark and perhaps with more top end grunt. The power issue is also a little confusing. Here in France it’s restricted to 100bhp but my local dealer (as far as I can understand) says it’s no problem to de-restrict to 115bhp. Is this a simple matter of re-chipping or/and changing the mufflers? Any advice would be most welcome.
Have a read here.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178

You will need a new center section, velocity stacks and a reflash at the minimum.

John

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
More like a sport bike?
Put some clip-ons on it, relocate the foot pegs. Buell wheels?
Beautiful thing about Harley's, you can customize them however you want. :vrod:

oh yeah, the A's (here) have 30 th pulley, while the B's (here) have 28 th pulley , the B's have better take off but sacrifice top end, The A's have better top end and sacrifice take off. But you can buy both 28 or 30 tooth pulleys and install them yourself depending on what you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.
Funnily enough, VRODDREW, I live 30 minutes from the Pyrenees and they have always been a focus for our summer dayouts. Generally the roads aren't that bad in the summer and easily do-able on big Beemers. But I look forward to doing them on the VROD (whichever one it is).
Shawn, that looks very very nice.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Pick the one that fits your customization ability.
How much chrome VS. How much speed.......or a bit of both
There are ways to utilize your $$$ with the correct purchase.
Take your time........
They will make more bikes.There is not the ONE that is right.
There are no "one of 's" in the V-Rod.
You make it that way.
Good Luck and Enjoy the site.
BobT

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
cubota said:
Here in France it’s restricted to 100bhp but my local dealer (as far as I can understand) says it’s no problem to de-restrict to 115bhp. Is this a simple matter of re-chipping or/and changing the mufflers? Any advice would be most welcome.
Hi Cubota.
Would it be possible for you to buy your bike in the UK - they are not restricted or perhaps somewhere else in Europe - not sure who has restrictions though. You could break it in on your ride home

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Christine said:
Hi Cubota.
Would it be possible for you to buy your bike in the UK - they are not restricted or perhaps somewhere else in Europe - not sure who has restrictions though. You could break it in on your ride home
Have done extensive research, looking at getting one from the US and the UK. Fraught with hassle, bureaucracy, customs fees and VAT. Even if you could get a UK bike, less 17.5% VAT you’d still have to pay 19.6% TVA in France. In any event my £ gets a good Euro rate so it’s marginally cheaper here. But good thinking.
Anyway, have done my first ever Harley test ride today. Street, country roads and m-way, sunny, dry but a little chilly 13c. The Rod has oodles of power, is easy to ride and can go round bends quite well. Gearbox works well if a tad clunky, low speed town work better than the Ducati (but anything is, I guess). Downside – scrapes the road going round bends, hot right leg, a little buffety on the autoroute overtaking lorries, the slipstream pushes your feet off the pegs and the exhaust note is non-existent. So. I’m going for a black B with sports screen, Screamin’ Eagle exhausts and a combined cissy bar/rack. My dealer will do the chip thing and put in a new air-filter to up the power. At least that’s what I think he said. V expensive, though.
Allez!

·
Registered
178 Posts
1badv

cubota said:
Merci beaucoup. Funny how I was a little mislead by the puffery on the official H-D website. Price wise the B is cheaper than the A so it's difficult to figure out why. I've sold my Beemer R1100GS and a Honda XR dirtbike to kick-start the finance on this. I've still got my Ducati 748 as I've been brought up on Triumphs, WSB, and IoM TT races. This whole Harley thing seems a bit focussed on bits, bobs and colour. I'm happy to go for the VROD after 30 years of motorcycling because it's got some get up and go and can (sort of) go round bends. So, can one do stuff to make the VROD more of a sports bike than a dragster? Also, you guys might be interested to know that here in France and the UK a VROD is some $6,000 more expensive than in the US, so a commitment to Harley is big buckets of cash.
DO U GET THUNDER PRESS OVER THERE? I'M ON THE COVER OF MARCH. DID U KNOW U CAN CHANGE THE TRIPLE TREE TO BRING THE RAKE BACK IN FOR A SHORTER STANCE, THAT SHOULD HELP IT CORNER BETTER. GOTTA BLAST!! :vrod:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1BADV said:
DO U GET THUNDER PRESS OVER THERE? I'M ON THE COVER OF MARCH. DID U KNOW U CAN CHANGE THE TRIPLE TREE TO BRING THE RAKE BACK IN FOR A SHORTER STANCE, THAT SHOULD HELP IT CORNER BETTER. GOTTA BLAST!! :vrod:
Thunder Press? In France we hardly get the news, let alone American motorcycle magazines,
Anyway, let it be known I've 'finally gone and done it' (Lucinda Williams. anyone?) and ordered a black Bee with SE's, bits and bobs from Erick at HD Biarritz. Hasta la freakin' vista as they say hearabouts.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Cubota,
First welcome to the family! You will love your bike. That bike Shawn put up there has a lot of photos in the gallery. It has mid controls and other mods that may interest you. I have learned to love the seating position, but since I sold the Kawasaki, I dont have to go back and forth between 2 different setups. It would be different for you.
Enjoy
Greg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts