Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the Twinscan II+ with a PowerCommander or Race Tuner?

Do you like it? Would you reccommend it? I think I'm going this route with my BB build and want to get an idea of what you think.

Thanks in advance.

RJ

·
Frank
4,318 Posts
I use it all the time in that fashion. I have 3 SERTS and 2 TwinscanII+. One I leave on my R for now, the other passes from bike to bike (and even others bikes) for spot tuning.

My only complaint is the fact that you have to manually adjust the VE tables with the data presented from the TWII.

All in all, I think it is the best way to tune a V-Rod going. In fact, there was a run on the TWII's a month or so ago and all stock was depleted. After talking to Chris at DTT, the reason for that it because HD is now teaching technicians how to tune bikes using the TWII and the SERT's.... almost all sales went to HD Techs.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is the voice of experience.

Hey Frank, have you played with a VRFID?

·
Frank
4,318 Posts
Not he VRFI-D... just the single channel version.

They work pretty good, but there are a few things I did not like... such as 9900RPM limit, lower limit on the timing advance, slower Block Learn tables (does not help much in a 1/4 mile) and others I can't seem to recall.

The biggest thing against it right now is the fact that DTT will not be making them any more after what they have is gone and the will not update any of the firmware/software. Basically it has been a very slow seller and other than a larger number being sold to one supercharger company, they are outsold by the TWII and TRFI-D but over 20X, I can't blame them.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
RJ,
I'm certainly not as experienced as Frank is with the SERT and Twin Scan stuff, but I also use these to tune my bike. I was disappointed with two things:
1) When logging AFR data in the TSII you get much less of the HD serial data. The only data besides measured front and rear AFR is:
RPM, MAP, TPS, Speed, AFR target, and a "status flag"
When you reset the TSII to log just HD serial data (no measured AFR) you get to see in addition:
Idle RPM, Bat Volts, ET, IAT, front Adv, rear Adv, front knock, rear knock, IAC, front Inj PW, rear Inj PW

Some of the additional data is probably not needed but ignition advance and knock would be nice to know. As it is now you have to do additional runs with the TSII set to read serial data only to see if the bike knocks.

2) The other problem is what Frank mentioned about manual transfer of numbers to change the SERT maps. I found you can use the Twin Scan software print feature and print to Acrobat and then use the Acrobat "table select" feature to cut and paste into MS Excel, but it's still a pain.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Some of the additional data is probably not needed but ignition advance and knock would be nice to know. As it is now you have to do additional runs with the TSII set to read serial data only to see if the bike knocks.
Other than this I like it fine.

·
Frank
4,318 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, if you really want to capture FULL data from the TSII, you can do so with a laptop attached. In fact you can even go for as long as of a ride as you like and not worry about overwriting the data in the limited buffer of the TSII itself. While I have not done this yet personally, I have corresponded with folks that have and they say it works great. The only thing you have to play with a bit is what sample rate will not cause a timeout on the USB port. From what I recall, they were suggesting .5 second sample rates.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
RJ, I have hundreds of hours using this set-up and tunned many MAPS for forum members. A buddy of mine had his 06 Dyna on a dyno for 5 hours and the tech told him it was the best he will ever get, I spent 45 minutes on his bike with TSII and he took it back for dyno and the tech was embarassed about how far he was off! The table transfer is not that big of a deal as the TSII does the VE correction calculations for you, you just have to increase or decrease the cell values (takes a couple of minutes)

Using the real time mode set at 0.5 with the laptop in a backpack makes tunning a breeze and as stated above allows you to monitor all data points

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everyone. If you've been following my recent posts, I currently ordered a new laptop, a TSII + setup, and am looking to find the right backpack for the laptop to do the data logging. I think I'm gonna have fun with this, if it doesn't drive me crazy first. I'm not a computer kinda guy.

Thanks all.

RJ

·
Registered
411 Posts
What about if you have a bike that has the O2 sensors can you unplug the ones that are in the bike and into the twin scan? Or do you have to replace them with the ones with the Twin Scan?

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
vrodracing90 said:
What about if you have a bike that has the O2 sensors can you unplug the ones that are in the bike and into the twin scan? Or do you have to replace them with the ones with the Twin Scan?
you have to remove the stock ones and replace for tunning with the wide band ones and when the tune is good you replace the stock ones and all will be fine!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got mine in the mail today. Any one have any tips on welding on the 02 bungs? Do they need to be at a 10degree angle? It isn't mentioned in the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

RJ

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
rjrivero said:
I got mine in the mail today. Any one have any tips on welding on the 02 bungs? Do they need to be at a 10degree angle? It isn't mentioned in the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

RJ
RJ,

I just had bungs welded into my Rinehart 2in1 last week am real happy. I am using the VRFID. I had a local machine shop weld them in. The HD dealer told me flat out that they did not think they could do a quality job to not have leaks. No leaks is about the most important thing with these. Best to have them TIG'd in.

Mine are pretty perpendicular to the pipe flow and I am not sure you could even measure 10 degrees if you had to.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
o2man98 said:
RJ,

I just had bungs welded into my Rinehart 2in1 last week am real happy. I am using the VRFID. I had a local machine shop weld them in. The HD dealer told me flat out that they did not think they could do a quality job to not have leaks. No leaks is about the most important thing with these. Best to have them TIG'd in.

Mine are pretty perpendicular to the pipe flow and I am not sure you could even measure 10 degrees if you had to.
I figgure to weld them in myself. I have a TIG and a drill. I can chase the threads with a tap. I was just wondering how important it is to get that angle.

Thanks Ken.

We missed you this year at the rally.

RJ

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
o2man98 said:
RJ,

Pics for RJ of the bungs and one of the reason I was not in KC.

Attachments

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the angle. You have to drill a 3/4 hole in a header that's only 1 3/4 in diameter (I think) so getting your 10 degrees might hamper a good seal. The rear is the toughest because of the limited space you have to work with. Since you're doing them yourself, you can tack the rear after mocking it up and remove the header for the final weld. Also, 18 x 1.5 mm taps can get expensive. Any auto parts store can get you an O2 thread chaser from Lisle for about $6.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
rjrivero said:

Thanks in advance.

RJ
Angle really doesn't matter,just try to get them as close to the head as possible.But if you were for every ounce of HP then get these: BUNG Yes it's for a evac system but can be used for o2 sensors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts