Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(partial copy of post in another thread)

Ok...

Deuce turn signals are the smaller H-D bullet lights that were introduced on the Softail Deuce back in 2000 and now are standard equipment on nearly every H-D since 2002... the same signals are on the front of your V-Rods.

Now, the front and rear Deuce signals are different, as are the rear V-Rod signals...

The front signals use a single fine thread mounting bolt and have the wires exiting through a grommet. These lights are dual-filament for running light and turn signal functions (single filament on HDI bikes)

The rear (Deuce Style) signals use a single coarse thread mounting bolt and a "stalk" that they mount on. The backside of the signal housing has a sort of cut out indentation for this stalk to mate up to. The stalks come in different lengths too... the FXST (Softail Standard) uses a longer stalk than the Softail Deuce does. As far as I know a different length, possibly a mid-length stalk comes with the rear signal brake light module for the Deuce. These rear signal lights use the same lenses as the front signal lights. The wires exit from a hole that is covered by the stalk. These lights are single filament, used for turn signals only.

The VRSC rear signals are the same diameter as the other mentioned signals, but they are plastic and have the stalk integrated into the housing. These lights use a different lens than the front signals and the Deuce style rear signals. They also mount with two metric bolts. The HDI bikes have a longer stalk turn signal and different shaped reflector inside with an E marking.

Chris products makes clones of the Deuce style signals... they even use the same lenses as the H-D signal lights (not the V-Rod rear lenses) Chris Products also make clones of other H-D turn signals that are the larger/older styles... probably of no interest to V-Rod owners, but all are cheaper than the H-D parts.

The front Chris signal lights are identical to their H-D counter parts... the rears are slightly different. The Chris Products rear signals use a single fine thread, hollow, mounting bolt that has the wires exiting through this bolt. These lights are also dual-filament and have three wires. The picture of the front signals above has a Chris Products signal on the left and an H-D signal on the right. Here's a Chris Products rear signal... same as the lights Ketsugo has on his Rizoma mounts:

Chris Products recently came out with a rear turn signal that is a duplicate of the H-D Deuce Style rear signal with the indentation for the stalk.

Here's a picture of a Deuce signal mounted on a V-Rod tail-section (Dog's Ass):

It fits after riffing out the mounting holes to 3/8", however, it doesn't fill the indentation where it mounts to the Dog's Ass as well as the stock signal does... nothing hideous, just pointing it out.

I don't have a set of actual Softail Deuce turn signal stalks, which are much shorter, so these are the FXST style, which stick out more than the stock V-Rod signals... with the Softail Deuce stalks, it would stick out about the same as the V-Rod signal.

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Hey Joe, I am looking for an exact and easy fit. I want to replace my rear turn signals with your LED's with a chrome housing and chrome attachment stem. I want it to be an easy switch out and installation. Please guide me into which product you offer will work.
Thanks, Jason

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say use a set of rear Deuce signals with the Deuce mounting stalks... as I said, the Softail Deuce has shorter stalks than the FXST style ones pictured above... Though I would have to see the actual stalks to make sure the holes line up as good as the FXST stalks.

That setup should give you a set of chrome rear signals that are almost the same as the stock signals while only requiring enlarging the mounting holes on each side slightly... so slightly that you could very easily revert to your stock signals if you ever wanted to.

Let me see if I can acquire a set of Deuce stalks.

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Thanks Doc, just let me know. Just like all of your work, the simpler the better.
Thanks, Jason

·
1,738 Posts
Doc: Personally I think that the stock black plastic may end up looking best with your LEDs on my black bike. Waiting anxiously for a pic of the clear lens tail light.

Fred

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Where does one find the Chris Products Deuce style light at I will be looking for the one that where shown for the front.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the hard saddle bags on my V-Rod. I often wondered if our back turn signals could be converted to chrome and still fit in the indentation molded in the saddle bags. I would be interested in the Duce ones if they would fit.

Thanks for the info,

·
Supreme Jester
634 Posts
How to gut the turn signal?

Hey Doc, If I might impose on you to explain how to gut the front turn signals? I am installing the Kuryakyn turn signal mirrors and would like to remove the existing wires cleanly from the stock signals at the signal end. Taking the lens off is easy, but after that all I see is the bulb and chromed reflector? Any tips?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts