Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most of the post on the turbo.

I have read all the good a turbo can do...

My question is...what are bad points of the turbo?

Heat...at high bost, pipes,coolant ect?

fuel econ?

Lag how much do you have and when?

Leg space for front controls?

If turbo fails can you still ride?

High rpms on engine?

Running a smaller rear wheel...17.5 in.?

If you know of anything else... please list

Thank you

Rod

·
Registered
964 Posts
I will leave the technical for other guys. I have no spacing issues with my legs at all.

I do have to be careful when sitting at lights and mounting and unmounting the bike not to have my leg come in contact with the exhaust pipe. There is a heat shield so I am not worried, but wouldnt ever ride with shorts.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes muffler kisses hurt I have had a few lol

Rod

·
Banned
837 Posts
They're f-ing ugly IMHO, but the extra power makes up for that. If only someone could come up with a forced induction system that is less visible...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Night Ryder said:
They're f-ing ugly IMHO, but the extra power makes up for that. If only someone could come up with a forced induction system that is less visible...
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder obviously. What makes you happy may do nothing for me. I think the Turbo is a work of art on the bike.

Downside is that it will make you want to kick rice rockets asses every time they pull up beside you. :)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Max said:
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder obviously. What makes you happy may do nothing for me. I think the Turbo is a work of art on the bike.

Downside is that it will make you want to kick rice rockets asses every time they pull up beside you. :)

That's cruel Picking on those Hopless Rice Rockets:spank: !Remember to keep it on the TRACK:deal: !!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I cant for the life of me get one to play with me so far.

I almost had a few boys on dynas today...but they backed off quick.

I passed a couple ricers going the other way over the mountains.....and one was in my lane passing....those boys would have been game but I never saw them again.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
rsc said:
I have read most of the post on the turbo.

I have read all the good a turbo can do...

My question is...what are bad points of the turbo?

Heat...at high bost, pipes,coolant ect?

fuel econ?

Lag how much do you have and when?

Leg space for front controls?

If turbo fails can you still ride?

High rpms on engine?

Running a smaller rear wheel...17.5 in.?

If you know of anything else... please list

Thank you

Rod
Heat isnt bad, at low speeds and its real warm outside, you can feel it. I dont run the heat shield though.
There is no noticable lag. It pulls hard off idle and feels like its pulling your arms out of their sockets by 5K. Not sure on the forward controls since I run mids. Not sure what you mean by high RPMs on the engine. It has no problem runing up to 9500 RPM

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The good the bad and the ugly....
I have read the good now I just want to hear about the bad and the ugly...

Is there a issue with heat in the cylinders running high rpm's at max boost.
If so why can you not run the 8 psi boost at high rpm for only a couple of seconds...unless I read the post wroung...Not to run wot for to long.

The kit comes with a clutch assem. Do you have to use it or can you use stock clutch with AIM PP?

Just looking for the little things that need to be known about the turbo.

Have there been any heating of the engine issues?
What effect running a smaller rear wheel have on the turbo with rpms coming up fastrer then a stock wheel?

What happens when the turbo fails...Can you still run the bike? What damage can be done running the bike with a failed turbo?

I am just trying to get all the info on a turbo other than 170 hp, hang on...

Thanks
Rod

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Rod, you really never run WOT that long in most any condition on the street because you simply run out of street.
Bryan on here did have a mishap doing that tho on a hot day and melted a piston.

Need to ask the clutch experts abou the AIM. I have Barnetts and am happy with it.

Smaller rear wheel will make you smoke that tire that much faster- and it aint' hard to do anyway.

There is no "turbo lag"- the motor doesn't make power until you are up on the plus side of 4G's and by this time the turbine is spooled and ready for action.

The turbo would just become a piece of exhaust if it failed. Your map on the bike would be rich on top end without it?

I had a turbo on a VW Bug that I scattered- damage was all turbo, it wasn't getting enough lube. The turbo was a total loss so I just drove as it was until I sold it. Just wasn't fun anymore. And that was a long time ago - much better turbos today.

I've never had any issues with the CP turbo, ridden in heavy rain, hot hiway miles, dragstrip and lots of just around town.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
RNTRACING said:
RSC,
I have turbo v's. Call me and come take a look.
If you are anywhere near swanton, take a look a the monster v-rods Rick makes. Impressive machines, for sure.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rsc said:
The good the bad and the ugly....
I have read the good now I just want to hear about the bad and the ugly...

Thanks
Rod
Really what kind of question is that? Your not asking about turbo's you just want someone to arm you with some sort of fuel for an argument. 60k miles on my bike and 20k of them with the turbo. I live in TX and have ridden when it was 114 outside, also when it was 14 outside without an issue so heat or cold isn't a problem. You can't stay in the boost for ever just like you can't use NOS forever but my bike tops out at 154mph so quick there is no reason to stay in the boost longer then that. 6 year old bike that has had the coolant changed twice but still never uses a drop or leaks a drop. I use no measurable amount of oil between 2500 mile oil changes. The bike runs as good if not better as far as around town drive ability as it did with the factory map. The biggest downside to the turbo is being able to get away from the crowd that forms when I stop for fuel or at anyplace that people gather.

·
Formerly BobK
647 Posts
vesteroid said:
I cant for the life of me get one to play with me so far.

I almost had a few boys on dynas today...but they backed off quick.

I passed a couple ricers going the other way over the mountains.....and one was in my lane passing....those boys would have been game but I never saw them again.
I have found that you need to get the unwary bike on the opposite side of the turbo so they aren't aware until it is too late and by then you are so far ahead they still may not realize what just happened.:angeldev:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Qwk Rod said:
I have found that you need to get the unwary bike on the opposite side of the turbo so they aren't aware until it is too late and by then you are so far ahead they still may not realize what just happened.:angeldev:
Bob is exactly right on this. For a v-rod if you pull up to them at a light or on the road try to stay to the right. If they spot the turbo they won't run, if they have a good ear they will figure out what happened to them while they are squinting to read your license plate. :rofl:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Night Ryder said:
thats crazy talk right there folks

·
RICK
648 Posts
I'd love to line up on the right side of a Warrior or 109. If they didn't know its a turbo and kick there ass, could you imagine what they would be saying? Man them vrods are fast! It would be funny!

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
The exhaust can get a little cozy with your right calf if you’re short-coupled as I am; easily resolved with reduced reach pegs.

I describe the turbo lag a “half a heartbeat”. It’s there but you have to be alert to notice it.

There may be some difference in fuel economy but it’s way to the right of the decimal point.

At this point (11,000 miles) no issues with the turbine unit whatsoever.

Running with WOT really isn’t an issue. If you’re at full boost for more than a few seconds in town you’re going to end up in somebody’s living room. Out in the open, as Max has noted, you’ll be bouncing off the rev limiter (in my case 9,400 RPM) in 5th gear long before you incur any engine damage.

Good luck with your decision.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
Oh I forgot, my mileage went up with the turbo. Best I ever got stck was 32, last few tanks Ive been pulling 36 with the turbo

1 - 20 of 72 Posts