Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a used turbo set-up for a 2007DX - Road-Rod.......

I would like to hear some advise from the members here.....

I am thinking of doing this as a bolt-on HP boost instead of a big bore for my customer...I am looking for advise on the turbo - not a debate on turbo vs. big bore.....:D

Thanks....

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now if I can find a used trask we will be happy campers up here in the northeast corner of the world.....

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I have been around a few turbo bikes as well as big bores, and have been devouring the information here on the forum for six years...

It seems to me that the turbo offers more power and more reliability than the big bore does for the same kind of money. Yes, you can get a bunch of HP out of a big bore if you keep spending. But, for about 6K$ (including tuning), you are out riding your turbo bike, it's reliable, fairly economical, depending on the angle of your wrist, and the power is there on demand. A 6K$ big bore probably won't get you the same power, it will use more fuel to get there, and when it blows up trying to out-run the turbo bike, you are out an engine.

Yes, you can burn up an engine with a turbo, too, but you're probably not going to bust cases.

All that said, I personally would go big bore because I just don't want all that plumbing hanging off the side of my bike, but at the same time knowing the turbo is probably the better option. It's just ugly. Now you know why mine's still stock.

If I did break down and go with a turbo, it would probably not be a Trask because I would like a more "stock" exhaust configuration. I have ridden with the Trask, and I have to conciously hold my leg away from that high exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Thought he was looking for into on a turbo, not a debat with big bores? How tall are you that your leg touches the exaust on a trask?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I'm short. With a 28 inch inseam. That's why I submitted the information at the end. The choice to turbo or not is partially aesthetic. If I could make it look better I'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
How soon do you want to do this Sharkey?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Turbo. Over the winter you'll see some fuel system upgrades that should allow big boost increases. HP numbers ( reliable) that will make you drool... Look at the crate motors already being offered here on the forum.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sharkey will be doing this build this winter , time will depend on when a good deal on a used turbo package comes up . Why are you looking to sell something in the near future .

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How soon do you want to do this Sharkey?
greetings.... hope the bones heal up quickly for ya bro.....I was goiong to check with a member here on a used one but have nothing lined up right now.... open to all suggestions....

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
greetings.... hope the bones heal up quickly for ya bro.....I was goiong to check with a member here on a used one but have nothing lined up right now.... open to all suggestions....

I will make a phone call and let you know then.

Are you going to sell your turbo?
Everything is for sell... lol

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I have been around a few turbo bikes as well as big bores, and have been devouring the information here on the forum for six years...

It seems to me that the turbo offers more power and more reliability than the big bore does for the same kind of money. Yes, you can get a bunch of HP out of a big bore if you keep spending. But, for about 6K$ (including tuning), you are out riding your turbo bike, it's reliable, fairly economical, depending on the angle of your wrist, and the power is there on demand. A 6K$ big bore probably won't get you the same power, it will use more fuel to get there, and when it blows up trying to out-run the turbo bike, you are out an engine.

Yes, you can burn up an engine with a turbo, too, but you're probably not going to bust cases.

All that said, I personally would go big bore because I just don't want all that plumbing hanging off the side of my bike, but at the same time knowing the turbo is probably the better option. It's just ugly. Now you know why mine's still stock.

If I did break down and go with a turbo, it would probably not be a Trask because I would like a more "stock" exhaust configuration. I have ridden with the Trask, and I have to conciously hold my leg away from that high exhaust.
You can have Nick make whatever exhaust you would like on the turbo... The one he sells with the kit is just the one he uses to mass produce the kit but he will make up special exhaust if you want or you can have any muffler shop make up a exhaust or if you have tubing benders and a welder you can make up your own :)... I don't care for looks of the stock exhaust myself and will be modifying it when I install it on my new rod...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I'd sell you mine but, it already has a new home to go to on my 06 nightrod :)... Go with the turbo, hp/tq gains per dollar spent is the best bang for the buck...

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can have Nick make whatever exhaust you would like on the turbo... The one he sells with the kit is just the one he uses to mass produce the kit but he will make up special exhaust if you want or you can have any muffler shop make up a exhaust or if you have tubing benders and a welder you can make up your own :)... I don't care for looks of the stock exhaust myself and will be modifying it when I install it on my new rod...

Greetings my friend.... I thought the exhaust was part of the turbo.... meaning that you would need to change something with the turbo to change the exhaust... I don't understand it that well.... is it just changing the tune?

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Greetings my friend.... I thought the exhaust was part of the turbo.... meaning that you would need to change something with the turbo to change the exhaust... I don't understand it that well.... is it just changing the tune?
Yes you are correct, it is part of the kit but Nick can make up exhaust anyway you want it... I'm going to have him do a straight slash cut with either a billeted or chrome slash cut tip... The stock exhaust is just a big ol open pipe... There is no baffle in it but you do have to worry about reversion however, that is taken care of with stronger valve springs and staying with the stock cams... Hope this makes sense... The actual reversion is upstream of the turbo in the header pipes, the exhaust coming out of the turbo really doesn't affect anything, it just needs to be a big ol pipe so the exhaust has plenty of space to exit the system :)...

I ran Nick's kit for three years bro and trust me, I didn't baby my bike... I went thru two rear tires :)... The turbo that Nick puts out is rock solid, quality, dependable and reliability all wrapped up in one great package... I wouldn't run any other turbo system on my bike other than building one myself but, every turbo Nick gets in is gone thru and modified... Nick knows turbo's :)...

·
Where to next?
248 Posts
I guess your statement about used turbos not being available says it all....they are great! I love mine and wouldn't sell it for anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts