Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sitting here bored and thinking...

What if you took the trask plenum off, put the air box bottom on, then bolted the plenum back on over it.

Then fill the box with dry ice 15-20 minutes before a drag race?

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
I'd be worried that the plastic airbox would blow out from the pressure of the turbo or possibly melt from the increased air temps. Also would the airbox bottom crack over time from the dry ice?????

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Is the plenum aluminium? I would worry about it cracking going from extreme cold to extreme heat over and over again.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The problem here is that your only going to cool the air a very small amount since only a small amount would make contact with the outside surface. Unlike a radiator or intercooler the plenum is huge and doesn't force the air through a tight contact surface as the others do. If you wanted it hidden and to work very well you could look into some of the liquid cooled intercoolers and possibly pack one of them with dry ice. They are fairly small and could be mounted anyplace. Liquid cooling is ten times more effective then air cooling and should do the trick nicely. You can build whatever you like here.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/LAMain.html

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bproulxvrod said:
I'd be worried that the plastic airbox would blow out from the pressure of the turbo or possibly melt from the increased air temps. Also would the airbox bottom crack over time from the dry ice?????

I think you are misunderstanding. I am talking bout only the bottom of the airbox. There would be no pressure. It would be like a little baththub for the plenum. The ice would just cool the plenum. The stock airbox handles the temp as it is stock, why would it be any hotter now? And if it cracks....who cares? It's not like melted dry ice is wet.

I have seen intercoolers that shoot 02 onto the outside to make the intercooler colder...I just thought cooling the aluminum plenum would take some of the heat away from the boosted intake.

But Max is right...there would be such little exposure between the hot air and the cold ice...

It's just a ******* fix...

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
I think you are misunderstanding. I am talking bout only the bottom of the airbox. There would be no pressure. It would be like a little baththub for the plenum. The ice would just cool the plenum. The stock airbox handles the temp as it is stock, why would it be any hotter now? And if it cracks....who cares? It's not like melted dry ice is wet.

I have seen intercoolers that shoot 02 onto the outside to make the intercooler colder...I just thought cooling the aluminum plenum would take some of the heat away from the boosted intake.

But Max is right...there would be such little exposure between the hot air and the cold ice...

It's just a ******* fix...
From what I read you wanted the airbox sandwiched between the Throttlebodies and the plenum. There is 8 PSI of added pressure from the turbo and also the air is hotter due to going through the compressor. Feel your charge pipe while under boost and you'll notice how hot it is compared to ambient air. When you compress air it generates heat. That's why I was worried about the airbox possibly melting or cracking.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bproulxvrod said:
From what I read you wanted the airbox sandwiched between the Throttlebodies and the plenum. There is 8 PSI of added pressure from the turbo and also the air is hotter due to going through the compressor. Feel your charge pipe while under boost and you'll notice how hot it is compared to ambient air. When you compress air it generates heat. That's why I was worried about the airbox possibly melting or cracking.
If the airbox does not melt on the valve covers it would not melt in charged air....the only part of the plastic that would be exposed to the air would be 1/8 inch...about the thickness of the gasket...

I can hold the charge pipe with my bare hands at any time. It is hot, but no where near enough to melt or crack plastic...

If I still had an air box I'd take a picture...all of this that you are saying only leads me to believe that you misunderstood....it makes no sense...

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rjrivero said:
Is the plenum aluminium? I would worry about it cracking going from extreme cold to extreme heat over and over again.

?

intercoolers are aluminum aren't they? People spray them with sub-zero temp O2 then run 30lbs of boost through them....
they don't crack...

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I could see happening is a boost leak at the plenum, trying to get the airbox to seal between the plenum and TB. And the airbox cover might not go on over the plenum...

But rather than this...maybe a shot of O2 on the plenum...if it were ribbed inside...

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
If the airbox does not melt on the valve covers it would not melt in charged air....the only part of the plastic that would be exposed to the air would be 1/8 inch...about the thickness of the gasket...

I can hold the charge pipe with my bare hands at any time. It is hot, but no where near enough to melt or crack plastic...

If I still had an air box I'd take a picture...all of this that you are saying only leads me to believe that you misunderstood....it makes no sense...
Whatever................you asked opinions and I gave mine. I'll say it "You're right!!!!!!" :D What was I thinking :D ???? You need to look at the gaskets compared to the airbox though.........there's a big difference in thickness. Oh and you mean CO2 not O2 that you want to spray it with now :D

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry...it's a pretty dumb topic in the first place and certainly not a topic to argue about...

It's just this kind of brainstorming that spawns really good ideas....sometimes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts