Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could an inexpensive turbo from say a Honda or Mitsubishi automobile along with an oil pump to lube said turbo and all exhaust plumbing fabbed correctly be used on a V-Rod say with a Dynojet PC3 USB custom map? I was talking to a custom auto builder/tuner today and he said that a turbo for either auto above costs between $2650.00 to $3000.00 installed and thats with him welding a SS exhaust header himself. Parts cost were between $750.00-$900.00 dollars for the complete turbo system. I ask cus I dont have $5000.00 thou to spend on a bolt-on turbo kit and I really really feel the need for speed.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
$3000 + $900 + sweat equity + Custom Dyno Tune = $3,900 + sweat equity + $300 best price = $4200 give or take.

That $5000 turbo doesn't sound like a bad deal. I can't justify dinking around with my ride like that. :2cents:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dont do it....although you may be able to get a set-up by outsourcing individual pieces it wouldn't perform as well much less have the support system that is place for the bolt on kits. Getting each pipe custom made (intake and exhaust) and getting them to look, work and fit right would cost almost as much as buying the kit. But I feel your pain...i'd love to have one but can't afford one either.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
I've ridden a chopper they used a ford Taurus turbo man did it sound and run like shit.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
rjrivero said:
$3000 + $900 + sweat equity + Custom Dyno Tune = $3,900 + sweat equity + $300 best price = $4200 give or take.

That $5000 turbo doesn't sound like a bad deal. I can't justify dinking around with my ride like that. :2cents:
+1 You may kick yourself in the ass later for saving a few buck when you've spent that much already.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Cheatin said:
+1 You may kick yourself in the ass later for saving a few buck when you've spent that much already.
+2 AND it will look like shiet compared to Trask. And Trask is there to back you up...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got word from the turbo tuner and he quoted me $2500.00 without the clutch kit. Man I just dont know? Half the price but walking into an untested ave. Maybe I`ll go NOS first. Price wise I can swing a dynotune kit. But like they say No Guts No Glory. Must Think!!

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
If I wanted to do it just to have a cool project that I could say I did myself, I would do it. If you're doing it thinking you'll save money......I don't know dude, you may end up with a POS that you've got 4K in and then you'll never talk yourself into buying the kit from RCC (or trask if you feel like slummin').

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I Had a Trask kit but ended up selling it. The kit is truly a well designed and built kit. However, anyone thats in the auto/performance industry would be able to fabricate and build their own turbo systemfow well under $2,000.00. But, don't forget, Trask is in business to make a profit just like any other company. By the time you add up all the labor, taxes, insurances etc etc when running a business, thats where they have to be in order for them to make a fair living. You could buy a mint turbo for $600, the wastegate's are cheap then the rest is tubing and welding. With Trask you get a clutch, a custom TUNED MAP and several other things for a complete kit. But I would have to say that without a doubt there are several talented members on this board that can do a back yard turbo kit and have impressive results both in horsepower and aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
id really like to see anyone make a turbo that looks quite pleasing to the eye like a trask kit. have you seen that jalopey supercharger that guy is building on the forum. oh yeah thats really nice lookin to the eyes.. and for 8-10 grand ohhh yeah um NO..

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
VrodG said:
Could find the post but someone here did make one.
I remember that but I can't find it either. I would like to read that thread again if someone can find it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Doing your own sounds like a lot of work. And if it is wrong [map,fuel mixture] you can lose the engine in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I made mine. Its not difficult. Just takes a little time. The one thing that is a must is use a GT25 Garrett. The ball bearing design Is better suited for the heat that is produced and will last much long. I can post all my trial and errors that I learned from building mine (Will take a little time though ). I am running about 6.5 psi boost at max and am hitting 148 HP on a dyno. And I am in the heat of Arizona ( no help ) and I haven't had any overheat issues. I welded all my own tubing so I am under what the current turbo systems out there cost. It was a blast because it is mine. I know alot are not capable of what I can do but I love the fact that when I am ask about my rear fender, turbo and polished items I can say I did that. That's just who I am.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
DDstreetrod said:
I made mine. Its not difficult. Just takes a little time. The one thing that is a must is use a GT25 Garrett. The ball bearing design Is better suited for the heat that is produced and will last much long. I can post all my trial and errors that I learned from building mine (Will take a little time though ). I am running about 6.5 psi boost at max and am hitting 148 HP on a dyno. And I am in the heat of Arizona ( no help ) and I haven't had any overheat issues. I welded all my own tubing so I am under what the current turbo systems out there cost. It was a blast because it is mine. I know alot are not capable of what I can do but I love the fact that when I am ask about my rear fender, turbo and polished items I can say I did that. That's just who I am.
:notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

I think you did a great job and I admire your ingenuity. I bet you had a ball doing it.

·
MISSISSIPPI KID
1,352 Posts
Looks great!

DD it really looks great. What is the torque numbers like? Jeb

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ya know, its hard to remember. I remember 148 because I said " Yah, just past 145. I think the torque number was around 110. But as Max schooled me a while back, any bike can have a beauty of numbers on the machine, its static. When two machines run down that straight away, there is where you will find the truth. When it cools down after summer and I have my digital incooler in place I will hopely make my run. Have a little ways to go yet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DD, Cool setup. Is that your boost guage on the upper left handlebar and what happen to the right front side cover? Are you going to post the building process? Also if say I decided to build a similar turbo, would you share you current mapping? What brand on fueler are you using? Inquiring minds want to know! Not really its just me cus I really want to build my own turbo. Thanks for any info you can share. Randy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.