Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I change my injectors with my turbo?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
To what ? Destroyer Injectors?
I would think that would require a whole new Dyno tune if you have a Trask Turbo and are using there stock map..

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
You need to check the dwell time on the injectors and the A&F to see if you need bigger injectors.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Should I change my injectors with my turbo?
You know, I have been wondering this for some time... I'm not a turbo guy, but with the issues (well, probably WOT abuse, but let's call them "issues" for now) with burned pistons, valves etc. after reported long WOT sessions, I was wondering if it was leaning out at high boost. I know Leon has said that the stock injectors and fuel pump are good for about 140 HP (correct me if I'm wrong here), and if so, that would mean to me that at high RPM/high boost it could be going lean.

That said, I would think that if you change to Destroyer injectors you may want to look at a higher volume fuel pump and possibly a 5 bar regulator, then get a new tune.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
You know, I have been wondering this for some time... I'm not a turbo guy, but with the issues (well, probably WOT abuse, but let's call them "issues" for now) with burned pistons, valves etc. after reported long WOT sessions, I was wondering if it was leaning out at high boost. I know Leon has said that the stock injectors and fuel pump are good for about 140 HP (correct me if I'm wrong here), and if so, that would mean to me that at high RPM/high boost it could be going lean.

That said, I would think that if you change to Destroyer injectors you may want to look at a higher volume fuel pump and possibly a 5 bar regulator, then get a new tune.
You have to find out what the A&F and injectors dwell time is, this will tell you if the injectors are maxed out and if the bike is getting enough fuel at WOT. I'm running a bigger fuel pump, Destroyer injectors and 10 lbs of boost with 110 octane fuel. I have an inter-cooler with a home made scoop and can tell you the bike is a ball to ride. :D

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
you have to find out what the a&f and injectors dwell time is, this will tell you if the injectors are maxed out and if the bike is getting enough fuel at wot. I'm running a bigger fuel pump, destroyer injectors and 10 lbs of boost with 110 octane fuel. I have an inter-cooler with a home made scoop and can tell you the bike is a ball to ride. :d
yeee-hah!

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a home grown turbo kit. I guess I will just see how my VRFI III reacts. When I do my head pipes, I will install my wide band O2 sensors to see how lean it goes. I did hear when I was doing the cams that the stovk injectors were good for 140hp but is that bore, which I am assuming, or rear wheel. I do have the camera and video going during the build and install. Should be intresting, comical at the least. Thanks for your help.

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
This is a home grown turbo kit. I guess I will just see how my VRFI III reacts. When I do my head pipes, I will install my wide band O2 sensors to see how lean it goes. I did hear when I was doing the cams that the stovk injectors were good for 140hp but is that bore, which I am assuming, or rear wheel. I do have the camera and video going during the build and install. Should be intresting, comical at the least. Thanks for your help.
are you using the stage 2 cams with the turbo, if no i would be interested if you want to sell them.

Also picts of the home grown turbo kit please!!

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am keeping the cams in. I will keet the 59mm throttle body also. Ya'll don't laugh but I just purchased a turbo for a BMW on e-bay for 150 dollars. I ordered some aluminum material to make a plenum. The turbo has a built in waste gate controller. I will start taking pictures Monday when I get the turbo. Still not sure about the exhaust manifold. If I could find a good 2 into one and turn it upside down to get the collector area in the front and a 90 degree with the flange welded on. If only it would be that sinple.

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am curious now, has anyone tried it or just recomendations? I know the cams have more overlap than stock and close faster but if no one has blown up an engine I will be the first I guess. Just don't feel like pulling the cams yet. I was more worried about the throttle body, the 58's seem to crack alot.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
You will not be the first ...there are BB with turbos. It takes alot of tuning to get it right.

This will be interesting.

Yes they have blown up there engines too...LOL

If it was me, I would go stock...Turbo is forced air and the turbo does not care how the air is getting in there...It will get there...LOL

I can not justify the extra cost on the heads and cams and TB to gain 2-3 HP by changing each one of theses. Again the turbo does not care.

It is up to you and how much you want to spend.

You will need to put the bike on the dyno to see if you need bigger injectors, fuel pump, regulators.

I have seen it go both ways. Stock set up pushing over 200 HP and Mod fuel setup pushing 200 HP.

Dyno first and it will tell you if it needs it or not.

The Bad part about this... is it will not be cheap no matter what way you go.

I really want to see how the tune goes with those cams.

I will watch this and good luck.
rod

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
:them:
+ or -

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought someone alittle while back checked to see if the VRFI would work with turbo and it wasn't recomended? I don't trust my memory anymore

Are you tapping into your stock regulator for more PSI? And just courious how much boost you are planning on running?

This will be pretty cool if it comes together and puts some serious #'s down

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
thanks,that's some hp...never ending journey the mods might wait till next year just in case they bring out a 1500cc in the V
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will tap into the regulator and I plan on starting at 8 psi then set it to 10psi. With the VRFI III, I am hoping the auto tune will be able to compansate for the boost pressure. I will have to take a good guess at the crank hp so the fuel will be close. I was told it is better to go over a little than low. I am still waiting on most of the stuff, just got my 2 bar map sensor. I will start a new thread with detailed pictures on the entire process. Once I get it tuned, I will take it to the dyno and video the scession.

My forst booboo was to order a BMW turbo, at 17lbs wayyy too heavy. Found a Garrett mc/atv turbo that puts out 0-15psi. At 8lbs, should be easy to mount. The intake will look nice I hope. This weenend I hope to get started.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts