Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

I am thinking of turbo-ing my night rod over the winter.

What's the difference between the intercooled and nonintercooled setup (no smartass remarks needed..lol. I know what an intercooler as I am familar with them on my cars).

Has anyone ran into problems with the non intercooled kits? Why is a non intercooled version offered?

Although I am committed to turbocharging a car, I wouldn't mind supercharging the bike.

What's the pro and con of turbo or supercharger?

Please share your insights, prices, power, etc.

Please be kind:) I built my own turbo kit on my car, but I'm new to turboing bikes.

Thanks,
TP

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Two words, " search function. "

This has been done to death here and back again. If you use the search function there's been tons written about this right here on the Forum.

If you want a good, reliable turbo system there's no need to reinvent the wheel. These guys will fix you up with either a kit that includes an intercooler or not and also answer any questions you might have as well. I have three of their systems, one intercooled and two non. All three work flawlessly.

www.traskperformance.com

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am searching in the meantime. I always search, trust me.

Some people like sharing their thoughts, and that's one reason why they are on forums and some don't mind writing their thoughts down. I just like to hear from what others have to say in response to my questions.

Thanks for the link--I'll shoot them an e-mail. From my research, they are great guys to work with.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Pro's and cons for either. Both will suffice HP-wise.

Turbos add weight, a lot of piping and even though much better than they used to be, a bit of lag.

Blowers are a cleaner and near hidden set-up but scavenge some HP.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Pro's and cons for either. Both will suffice HP-wise.

Turbos add weight, a lot of piping and even though much better than they used to be, a bit of lag.

Blowers are a cleaner and near hidden set-up but scavenge some HP.
I don't see how the turbocharger adds any more weight or even piping then the supercharger?? I've seen both the Sprintex and Horsepower's Rotrex kits and since they still require an exhaust and HP's has an intercooler, and both units require external drives and covers I am willing to bet the weight is the same between the turbo and super chargers. Heck my stock exhaust weighed almost as much as the complete turbo kit when I put it on.

As for the lag since a stock V doesn't start pulling until above 3K rpm the turbo is already boosting by then and no lag is noticed (I've owned numerous turbo charged cars and noticed no lag at all with the turbo on the V). But hey maybe I didn't notice it because I was to busy trying to hold on :angeldev:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I don't see how the turbocharger adds any more weight or even piping then the supercharger?? I've seen both the Sprintex and Horsepower's Rotrex kits and since they still require an exhaust and HP's has an intercooler, and both units require external drives and covers I am willing to bet the weight is the same between the turbo and super chargers. Heck my stock exhaust weighed almost as much as the complete turbo kit when I put it on.

As for the lag since a stock V doesn't start pulling until above 3K rpm the turbo is already boosting by then and no lag is noticed (I've owned numerous turbo charged cars and noticed no lag at all with the turbo on the V). But hey maybe I didn't notice it because I was to busy trying to hold on :angeldev:
Blowers are a lot simpler, the one i saw for the V (I think V&H) is real clean, as are all blowers, direct install to the intake under the air-box and driven off the water pump. They have no piping.
Turbo's are bolted to the exhaust, hang out all over the place with additional piping from the spool to the intake.

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I am looking at some supercharger pics and I am wondering how the heck am I supposed to retain my Arnott components if I have this under the air box?

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Blowers are a lot simpler, the one i saw for the V (I think V&H) is real clean, as are all blowers, direct install to the intake under the air-box and driven off the water pump. They have no piping.
Turbo's are bolted to the exhaust, hang out all over the place with additional piping from the spool to the intake.

Take a look at this thread below. Picture worth alot of words.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133016&page=5

Granted it is the race version.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Wow, I am looking at some supercharger pics and I am wondering how the heck am I supposed to retain my Arnott components if I have this under the air box?

Do a good search on "Sprintex supercharger" it may change your opinion. I only know a few who have said it works well but everyone else I know has had nothing but problems. This supercharger was sold by Vance and Hines and now is sold by Patrick Racing but it is still the same Sprintex supercharger just different pulley covers.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Do a good search on "Sprintex supercharger" it may change your opinion. I only know a few who have said it works well but everyone else I know has had nothing but problems. This supercharger was sold by Vance and Hines and now is sold by Patrick Racing but it is still the same Sprintex supercharger just different pulley covers.
:them: I can't recall hearing anything good about those.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
This is cleaner than the turbo???: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138753

I guess that is why we all have our own opinions. I liked the fact that with the turbo I could roll up on somebody from the left side and they couldn't see the turbo and most of time they never got a chance to see it once the throttle was opened :angeldev:

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Bryan this is the point I was trying to discreetly make last night.

It seems like lately instead of doing a search and finding out what people who actually own and run what they are looking for have posted, some guys just refuse to do so.

It must seem easier to post " hmmm what should I do " or " what should I buy?"

The information is all readily available here on both turbos, superchargers and big bores. All you have to do is get off your behind, look, grow a pair and maybe make a purchase.

With over 500 posts this should be common sense, perhaps not.

If you fail to plan plan to fail!

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Take a look at this thread below. Picture worth alot of words.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133016&page=5

Granted it is the race version.
Bad example of a blower. There are much simpler versions., I would choose a turbo before that mess.

It was a tuning nightmare when first available but the issues have been worked out.

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bryan this is the point I was trying to discreetly make last night.

It seems like lately instead of doing a search and finding out what people who actually own and run what they are looking for have posted, some guys just refuse to do so.

It must seem easier to post " hmmm what should I do " or " what should I buy?"

The information is all readily available here on both turbos, superchargers and big bores. All you have to do is get off your behind, look, grow a pair and maybe make a purchase.

With over 500 posts this should be common sense, perhaps not.

If you fail to plan plan to fail!
No wonder no one liks Canadians...hahahah.

No really, though. The time you took to type that, you could have answered one of my questions. You're a fool.

If you feel this thread is so useless, then why do you even post?

Oh, and that quote was makes you sound soo wise...where you get that from? The internet? :Lame:

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Patm, why are you still viewing this thread?

To all those who took the time to answer and comment, I want to thank all of you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am no expert, by any stretch. But don't turbos sometimes require a significant cool down before engine shut down? Please kick me to the curb if I am wrong.

Phatass

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is cleaner than the turbo???: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138753

I guess that is why we all have our own opinions. I liked the fact that with the turbo I could roll up on somebody from the left side and they couldn't see the turbo and most of time they never got a chance to see it once the throttle was opened :angeldev:
I agree with you--that's not very attractive. It looks too messy and everything looks "boxy" and squared.

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am no expert, by any stretch. But don't turbos sometimes require a significant cool down before engine shut down? Please kick me to the curb if I am wrong.

Phatass
Pretend I am patm:

Two words, " search function. "

This has been done to death here and back again. If you use the search function there's been tons written about this right here on the Forum.
Jezz, phatass! You have 485 posts! I expected more from you! NOOB!

In seriousness, though. If you are hard on your bike, then you should let it idle for a minute (or less).

What I do is before I know I have to shut her off, I just take it easy for the last minute or two. On my cars, I had turbo timers which calculates how hard you drive to determine how long the engine should idle.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Pretend I am patm:

Jezz, phatass! You have 485 posts! I expected more from you! NOOB!

In seriousness, though. If you are hard on your bike, then you should let it idle for a minute (or less).

What I do is before I know I have to shut her off, I just take it easy for the last minute or two. On my cars, I had turbo timers which calculates how hard you drive to determine how long the engine should idle.

Relax bro. I have read most (not all) of the turbo related posts and have never read anything about a supposed "cool down" issue. My pro-supercharger friends claim the cool down is more like 15 minutes. But being as how you have several and have experienced said phenomenon, and me being of the NOOB school of non-search, :stilpoke: :D I will take your word for it being a much shorter period of time.

Phatass

1 - 20 of 51 Posts