Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
speed enthusiast
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I am looking for some information from the members of this awesome forum. I am trying to decide which mod to do this winter, nitrous or turbo? My style of riding is more along the lines of getting up to the speed limit in a real hurry, so I like fast off the line, but I am not all that interested in doing 150 mile an hour with wide open throttle. I am torn on which one to do, I have read alot of threads and I think nitrous is really only any good if you are wide open throttle (probably won't be any good for my style of riding, but I don't really know). I am not sure about turbo, because I would like to install the system myself, and I have no idea what is involved for an install.

Here is what I have modified on my bike so far, and maybe some of you great members can reccommend something for me.

2004 VRSCA
K & N hi flo filter
topless airbox
techlusion box
stock pipes (soon to be V-Mods, they are in the mail to me already)
200 avon rear tire

stage 2 rear light
side mount plate
removed dogs ass
160 LED's on both sides front to back
keyless guard dawg

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Turbo would be my answer. It's there whenever you want it and rides normal when cruising. I believe you are correct in saying that the NOS needs to be activated at WOT or close to it. Plus the NOS bottle will run out and then you have to get it refilled. From a cost perspective NOS is cheaper. IMHO NOS is best used for racing or for the occasional use on the street.

·
speed enthusiast
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smokenjoe01 said:
No question TRASK TURBO. Available hear in the forum store. Very easy to install. Enjoy.
Thanks for the input, but do all of the turbo systems start around $5000 because from the threads that I have read I can put nitrous on for around $1000. Not that I am against the $5000 price tag but do I need to spend that kind of money for the style of get up and go I am looking for, or would the nitrous for $1000 be suffice. I guess I am also worried about the ill effects of both systems on the engine, any feedback on that would also be appreciated.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Both??

Well Max and some others have put 1000's of miles on the bike with turbos with really no ill effects on the engine. I hear what you are saying about price tag, its a reason i havent turned to either one yet. And i believe you can put nitrous on for well under a G if im not mistaken.

·
speed enthusiast
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bproulxvrod said:
Turbo would be my answer. It's there whenever you want it and rides normal when cruising. I believe you are correct in saying that the NOS needs to be activated at WOT or close to it. Plus the NOS bottle will run out and then you have to get it refilled. From a cost perspective NOS is cheaper. IMHO NOS is best used for racing or for the occasional use on the street.
I don't think I would mind having to refill the bottle, but would the occassional use on the street with nitrous be okay from the launch at a red light or does it HAVE to be initiated from WOT?

·
speed enthusiast
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
louballs said:
Both??

Well Max and some others have put 1000's of miles on the bike with turbos with really no ill effects on the engine. I hear what you are saying about price tag, its a reason i havent turned to either one yet. And i believe you can put nitrous on for well under a G if im not mistaken.
yeah I believe I read one thread in here that said the guy installed the entire system for about $600, but I cannot find that thread for some reason.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
RoSto said:
Hello Folks,

I am looking for some information from the members of this awesome forum. I am trying to decide which mod to do this winter, nitrous or turbo? My style of riding is more along the lines of getting up to the speed limit in a real hurry, so I like fast off the line, but I am not all that interested in doing 150 mile an hour with wide open throttle. I am torn on which one to do, I have read alot of threads and I think nitrous is really only any good if you are wide open throttle (probably won't be any good for my style of riding, but I don't really know). I am not sure about turbo, because I would like to install the system myself, and I have no idea what is involved for an install.

Here is what I have modified on my bike so far, and maybe some of you great members can reccommend something for me.

2004 VRSCA
K & N hi flo filter
topless airbox
techlusion box
stock pipes (soon to be V-Mods, they are in the mail to me already)
200 avon rear tire

stage 2 rear light
side mount plate
removed dogs ass
160 LED's on both sides front to back
keyless guard dawg

My advice would be to try them all"big bores" too:deal: !We have enough member's in your area with each and i'm sure they would not mind leting you do a test ride:deal: .Just leave them your House and V-rod Key incase you don't come back:angeldev: ! I think Both make a real mean combo,and all 3 is insane:D !ADD On Methanol will be the start of a new age in V-rod performance:kaz: !!!

Attachments

·
MISSISSIPPI KID
1,352 Posts
Everyday Power That Cost Once!

TRASK TURBO! JEB:moped:

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
RoSto don't be confused by the unrelated photos posted by Santa Kaz. He is on all kinds of medication. As for the nitrous being cheaper. The turbo is big money, yes. It is worth it for the bolt on, turn the throttle convince. With the Nitrous you have only a limited time till the bottle runs out. Then you have to get the bottles refilled.
The nitrous is instant power. Like a light switch, instant.
Turbos have to "spool up". With a system such as a Trask there is minimal "spool up" time. But there is a slight delay while it makes max boost. Also you don't want to run it at max boost for sustained periods.

·
speed enthusiast
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smokenjoe01 said:
RoSto don't be confused by the unrelated photos posted by Santa Kaz. He is on all kinds of medication. As for the nitrous being cheaper. The turbo is big money, yes. It is worth it for the bolt on, turn the throttle convince. With the Nitrous you have only a limited time till the bottle runs out. Then you have to get the bottles refilled.
The nitrous is instant power. Like a light switch, instant.
Turbos have to "spool up". With a system such as a Trask there is minimal "spool up" time. But there is a slight delay while it makes max boost. Also you don't want to run it at max boost for sustained periods.
Thanks Smokenjoe

I have read alot of your posts and you seem to know what you are talking about and like I said, I do not mind the fact that I would have to refill the bottles.

So when you say instant, does that mean that I could use it off the line like I like to do or do I still need to wait for WOT before initiating the nitrous?

Do you have any suggestions where I should order my nitrous setup from and what would I need for my existing setup.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
NOS or turbo? Your riding habits greatly determine what your going to go with and how well it's going to work for you. Turbo is nice because at 55mph in fifth gear I don't have to downshift to roll on the throttle and produce over 100 ft lbs of torque. I don't have to charge the bottle, arm the system and then go full throttle. It is always there. I don't have to worry about how many shots I have used during this ride and am I going to run out on my next throttle. I played with NOS for years in cars so I speak from a little experience on both sides. While NOS is there right now and if your only concern is coming off the line then NOS is a good choice. If you want a bike that will pull your arm sockets out every time you roll in the throttle and requires no extra work, works well at part throttle and is always armed then a turbo is a nice choice. Don't let initial cost be your guide IMHO either as the cost of NOS is like renting a system. You never get it paid for, the only difference is that if you use it a lot it will cost you more in both time and expense, if you use it very little then the cost will be less. The initial cost of the turbo is much higher but like buying something instead of renting it the cost of ownership long term may not be nearly as large if you use it, especially if you use it as much as I do.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
Turbo all the way. I don't know how I ever lived w/o it. Plus it is awesome looking.

·
speed enthusiast
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Max said:
NOS or turbo? Your riding habits greatly determine what your going to go with and how well it's going to work for you. Turbo is nice because at 55mph in fifth gear I don't have to downshift to roll on the throttle and produce over 100 ft lbs of torque. I don't have to charge the bottle, arm the system and then go full throttle. It is always there. I don't have to worry about how many shots I have used during this ride and am I going to run out on my next throttle. I played with NOS for years in cars so I speak from a little experience on both sides. While NOS is there right now and if your only concern is coming off the line then NOS is a good choice. If you want a bike that will pull your arm sockets out every time you roll in the throttle and requires no extra work, works well at part throttle and is always armed then a turbo is a nice choice. Don't let initial cost be your guide IMHO either as the cost of NOS is like renting a system. You never get it paid for, the only difference is that if you use it a lot it will cost you more in both time and expense, if you use it very little then the cost will be less. The initial cost of the turbo is much higher but like buying something instead of renting it the cost of ownership long term may not be nearly as large if you use it, especially if you use it as much as I do.
Thanks for your input Max, I really appreciate your help, I do like the idea of pulling my arms out of my sockets every time I roll on the throttle, but I am afraid that may get me into trouble. At least with NOS, I have to think about doing it, turn on the NOS then think about it again before I actually activate it, hopefully this will be enough thinking to make me realize that I do not want to get into trouble and it will only be a short boost of power.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
RoSto said:
Thanks for your input Max, I really appreciate your help, I do like the idea of pulling my arms out of my sockets every time I roll on the throttle, but I am afraid that may get me into trouble. At least with NOS, I have to think about doing it, turn on the NOS then think about it again before I actually activate it, hopefully this will be enough thinking to make me realize that I do not want to get into trouble and it will only be a short boost of power.
The Boss Noss is a great simple system. And Very easy to install. Its around 1k depending what options you get. The refills are about $2.00 per pound. And spend an additional 4k and buy 2000 pounds of nitrous. For the next 20 years of fun.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I built nitrous and turbo bikes and when it gets time to sell ,people dont want to buy a nitrous bike as quick as a turbo bike because of what it may have done to the motor inside , you will get back your money for the turbo kit people like having something that everyone dont have and you have to have a bottle heater with nitrous when its colder and have to run it at the right pressure for it to do right Dave FINISHLINE CUSTOMS

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
FINISHMAN said:
I built nitrous and turbo bikes and when it gets time to sell ,people dont want to buy a nitrous bike as quick as a turbo bike because of what it may have done to the motor inside , you will get back your money for the turbo kit people like having something that everyone dont have and you have to have a bottle heater with nitrous when its colder and have to run it at the right pressure for it to do right Dave FINISHLINE CUSTOMS
Dave are you familiar with the self regulated nitrous system, that runs at 300 psi? People will pay extra for a turbo bike?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
Dave are you familiar with the self regulated nitrous system, that runs at 300 psi? People will pay extra for a turbo bike?
Joe Boss Nos makes a decent system, but I was playing with NOS 30 years ago and still think NOS is not street friendly. It requires a great deal of time and work and yes expense for a street rider.

You say 1k for the system, how many bottles do you own and how many came with the system? What is the biggest bottle you own and did it come with the system? If I used NOS as much as I do a turbo I couldn't go across town without stopping to refill the bottle. How many shots do you get before you have to refill? How long does it take you to change bottles, refill bottles etc every time you ride? For me it's about having a system dialed in and just putting gas and oil in the bike. I really just don't want the mess of NOS. Yes Jacob from Boss Noss offered to install a system on my bike as a demo, I declined.

·
RICK
648 Posts
At least with NOS, I have to think about doing it, turn on the NOS then think about it again before I actually activate it, hopefully this will be enough thinking to make me realize that I do not want to get into trouble and it will only be a short boost of power
Speed is an addiction. Once you use the nitrous, you wont want to stop! It seems to never be enough!

·
Registered
597 Posts
another thing that you need to consider is how do you want to use the power? Do you want that power all the time as with the turbo setup, or do you only want it when you need it as with the nitrous setup. Now, I know it isn't the turbo system, but with the V&H supercharger your gas mileage goes way down. Does the trask setup do the same thing, or is it a little more fuel friendly? IMHO, I would get the nitrous, I wouldn't want all that power all the time. Oh, and with the Boss Noss system you can use it at any throttle opening angle and in any gear that you would like to, makes no difference.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts