Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VRSCSE said:
No you can't
oh absolutely!!! that's an awful lot of cash to put into a motor. Hell, you can install a turbo ($4-$5000) and have some jack leftover - 180 - 200 Hp will smoke the shit out of any SE AND every other stock production bike!

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
traktime said:
oh absolutely!!! that's an awful lot of cash to put into a motor. Hell, you can install a turbo ($4-$5000) and have some jack leftover - 180 - 200 Hp will smoke the shit out of any SE AND every other stock production bike!
ANY other stock production bike? I think not...... Maybe any other stock V-Rod but Busa's, ZX14's and most liter bikes will hand you your ass.

Also, you ain't gonna get 180 - 200 hp with a turbo without going into the motor and/or adding an intercooler (aka a custom system). 150 - 160 hp is more realistic and remember, this is a 640 lb bike compared to 170 hp in a 400 lb bike for the top tier performers.

Don't try to make the VRSC something it isn't. It's the fasted Harley and one of the quicker bikes on the street but it isn't in the top tier when compared to everything that's out there.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mjw930 said:
ANY other stock production bike? I think not...... Maybe any other stock V-Rod but Busa's, ZX14's and most liter bikes will hand you your ass.

Also, you ain't gonna get 180 - 200 hp with a turbo without going into the motor and/or adding an intercooler (aka a custom system). 150 - 160 hp is more realistic and remember, this is a 640 lb bike compared to 170 hp in a 400 lb bike for the top tier performers.

Don't try to make the VRSC something it isn't. It's the fasted Harley and one of the quicker bikes on the street but it isn't in the top tier when compared to everything that's out there.
:notworth:
correct, it would run very good but theres too many super quick production bikes out there

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mjw930 said:

The right turbo generally generates 50% of exsisting HP, without an inter cooler, yes you can get 180 easily, they're out there for sure. The beauty of turbo's is NOT having to go into the motor.
The Busa and ZX14 weigh in at around 500+lb. and 170 is a bit high - stock. Also my V is now UNDER 600lbs.
I never implied the V was something other than it is, I simply stated that with $8000 you can build/customize the hell out of it - compared to spending 25K on an SE.

http://www.mphohio.com/projects.htm#Turbo V-Rod - 172 at the rear wheel and it's only 5-6lbs of boost which makes it well over 180 at the crank! 7-8lbs. and easily 200!!!

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
traktime said:
The right turbo generally generates 50% of exsisting HP, without an intercooler, yes you can get 180 easily, they're out there for sure.
180rwhp without going into the motor?:bs:

not and have it last for any amount of time
The Busa and ZX14 weigh in at around 500+lb. and 170 is a bit high - stock. Also my V is now UNDER 600lbs.
I never implied the V was something other than it is, I simply stated that with $8000 you can build/customize the hell out of it - compared to spending 25K on an SE.
but an r1 has 160 rwhp with a few mods and weighs sub 400 fully gassed up.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
traktime said:
you sure?
100% sure!

Without an intercooler or some other way to reduce the charge temp the motor has to much compression to run much more than 8 lbs of boost and that equates to ~165HP at the crank or mid 150's to the rear wheel.

If you don't fry a piston or drop valve then you'll blow a head gasket as the head studs pull out of the block.

180hp is certainly doable but not without going into the motor.

Now, you could use a 30 lb shot in top of the turbo but see paragraph 2, that's what you'll be in for in short order.

And how did this tread get so :eek:fftopic:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mjw930 said:
100% sure!

Without an intercooler or some other way to reduce the charge temp the motor has to much compression to run much more than 8 lbs of boost and that equates to ~165HP at the crank or mid 150's to the rear wheel.

If you don't fry a piston or drop valve then you'll blow a head gasket as the head studs pull out of the block.

180hp is certainly doable but not without going into the motor.

Now, you could use a 30 lb shot in top of the turbo but see paragraph 2, that's what you'll be in for in short order.

And how did this tread get so :eek:fftopic:

8# is a lot of boost for any stock V-twin even an in line 4 might needs a gasket and heavier bolts, BUT I stated 5 to 6#, stock gasket, stock head bolts, stock internals -172 rear wheel - 7600 very hard miles and going strong!!! http://www.mphohio.com/projects.htm#Turbo V-Rod -

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
traktime said:
8# is a lot of boost for any stock V-twin even an in line 4 might needs a gasket and heavier bolts, BUT I stated 5 to 6#, stock gasket, stock head bolts, stock internals -172 rear wheel - 7600 very hard miles and going strong!!! http://www.mphohio.com/projects.htm#Turbo V-Rod -
you believe all the retarded BS you read?? there is NO WAY on 6# a stock vrod could make that kind of power... none!

and to me dyno numbers like that arent worth a damn, they could be STD numbers vs SAE numbers, not to mention they could skew the dyno results to show damn near any hp they wanted!!!!

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
I Agree

VenomousSVT said:
you believe all the retarded BS you read?? there is NO WAY on 6# a stock vrod could make that kind of power... none!

and to me dyno numbers like that arent worth a damn, they could be STD numbers vs SAE numbers, not to mention they could skew the dyno results to show damn near any hp they wanted!!!!
172hp on a stock motor is :bs: unlikely to last long at all...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Leo's 07 stock 1250 was making 170 at the rear wheel before he took the turbo off and put it back to like stock form.He said he was tired of having a nice bike that he couldn't ride over 70 mph for more than 12 seconds.I think he said it was pumped to 9lbs.

IMO,the guy that got fired is a dumbass.If he honestly knows something he's a double ass.If he doesn't know what he claims and he was fired for this reason he's a triple ass.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
traktime said:
Not on these forums! However I do run a turbo and speak from experience -you?
heres the deal... you may have a turbo I am not doubting that... that may even be your bike on the link you posted, that i am not doubting either. You may even have a dyno chart showing you how your bike made 172 rwhp! I am not even doubting that my friend. I am not calling you a liar by all means, however I AM 100%, WITHOUT ANY POSSIBILITY OF BEING MISUNDERSTOOD, calling the shop that did your dyno liars. Maybe I should do more research on your bike, for all i know you are running a destroyer with a turbo, then I could see it possibly. Maybe you are running an SE2 bike with a turbo, that I could possibly see as well. I still Doubt it was on 6# of boost though. But if you took your 1130cc bike to that shop and installed one of their turbos and they dynoed your bike at 170 rwhp on 6# of boost, they lied to you. You need to visit another shop and get another dyno done on the bike.

and you are right about one thing, I do no have a turbo on my bike, not because I dont have access to one, and not because I couldnt go out and buy one tomorrow. But because for once in my life I want to cruise along with a few bolt-ons and enjoy my extended waranty. I am definitely not "the expert" here on the boards about turbo Vrods but I do know turbos and have had several 700hp turbo cars. I have seen quite a few turbo vrods in person, have witnessed the tuning of several as well. I have also read TONS about all the guys here running turbos and no one is making the hp you claim at the wheel SAE corrected hp with 6# of boost.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mjw930 said:
Oh, and on the turbo stuff, can we take this to the high performance section, although I'm as guilty as the next guy it really doesn't belong in this thread.
sorry for continuing to feed the argument... i am off the subject unless this guy wants to make a high performance thread about it

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I cut out the posts that were way off topic and started this thread with them so the discussion can continue and not get lost in the shuffle.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Elrod I rode to and from KC running around 80-90 mph with 3lb of boost showing on the gage with out any problems. Stock motor with 8lb of boost is going to make around 150 hp, those claiming more I want to see it on a dyno sheet.:deal::bs:

To get 170-180 hp your going to have to get in the motor, drop the compression and turn up the boost, heads, cams ect.......

·
Registered
597 Posts
the liter bikes now days will smoke any V, and the big displacement sporters will smoke the literbikes. My 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R weighed in at 387 lbs. soaking wet and put down around 170 hp with bolt on performance upgrades. I ran it in the quarter and it is more than 2 seconds faster in the quarter than my VROD.

·
Swamp Rat
48 Posts
Yep,
Leo's turbo now lives on my vrod. Joe, you should be pleased to know it's on an orange SR. Everyone knows thats the fastest color on the best model. Ha! Ha!
Bob

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Leo's 07 stock 1250 was making 170 at the rear wheel before he took the turbo off and put it back to like stock form.He said he was tired of having a nice bike that he couldn't ride over 70 mph for more than 12 seconds.I think he said it was pumped to 9lbs.
AL I have over 24k miles of turbo use on a stock motor with the same turbo leo had and I cruised over 300 miles just last weekend over 70mph without an issue. Not sure how he came to that conclusion but two of us in the pack were running turbo's and we hit speeds of up to 110 mph according to my gps tracking.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts