Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, wondering how many of you with turbo vrods are running your crank case breathers?

Is it OK to vent the breathers into a separate catch can or to atmosphere not plumbed into the plenum? Perhaps some check valves to maintain negative pressure.

I'm building my own kit and putting together the last pieces of the puzzle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have mine to a catch can with a filter on top to atmosphere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys, wondering how many of you with turbo vrods are running your crank case breathers?

Is it OK to vent the breathers into a separate catch can or to atmosphere not plumbed into the plenum? Perhaps some check valves to maintain negative pressure.

I'm building my own kit and putting together the last pieces of the puzzle.

Thanks.
I am, into a catch can with a small filter on top and again, my own design. It works well with my SC.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Plenum (using a 3 port catch can...2 in 1 out) is the ideal setup as you have a great source of vacuum when the plenum sees boost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plenum (using a 3 port catch can...2 in 1 out) is the ideal setup as you have a great source of vacuum when the plenum sees boost.
Hi freudie,

If the plenum is under positive pressure and the discharge from the oil separator is plumbed to it would it not pressurise the catch can and in turn prevent it from doing its job under boost.

Sorry, I'm learning so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got a 3 port catch can ready to fit with my new turbo set up and was just going to vent the discharge to atmosphere like the guys above. If that is going to cause issues with my motor please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi freudie,

If the plenum is under positive pressure and the discharge from the oil separator is plumbed to it would it not pressurise the catch can and in turn prevent it from doing its job under boost.

Sorry, I'm learning so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got a 3 port catch can ready to fit with my new turbo set up and was just going to vent the discharge to atmosphere like the guys above. If that is going to cause issues with my motor please let me know.

Thanks
I posted too quickly....you want to connect the "out" port to a nipple on your intake pipe (pre-turbo/supercharger). This will of course present vac to the catch can while the other two go to each head (and give you an appreciable amount of vacuum to get the added cylinder pressure vented). If you really want, you can put a check valve in-line to make sure the catch can never sees boost....

Only "bad" part of this? You'll have to empty your catch can more often as it will be much more efficient than just a simple atmospheric style 2 port can......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts