Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hmm: I got a chance to look at the plugs on my bike today after the easter feast. Now i got pretty good at tunning 2 stroke sleds real good and my plugs in the v rod looked perfect. The electrodes were lighter than tan almost whight but the porcelan :hmm: looked perfect light tan. If it was in a sled i would leave it , as long as it didn't get colder. So i called a buddy and he said bikes run more efficient and get a cleaner plug reading, also said it was cold yesterday 56 so it might be different on a 70+ day. I know temp doesn't effect a 4 stroke as much but the air is denser on a cold day.So should i fatten her up? Does anyone have pictures of a good running plug? The bike runns awsome no hicc-ups or pops. Just gotta a couple weeks before it gets dynoed, if i even do. Can turn up the fuel with the DFO if i want but the gas mileage seems good unless i'm really on it. :kaz:

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Try turning it up anyway.There might be some power lingering around ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:boobs: :boobs: C'mon 70 people look at this thread and Vinny is the only reply. :thumb: Thanks Vinny just looking for some advice. Probably gonna rain all week here in New England, but the weekend looks good. Gonna turn the fuel up on full notch and see how she feels. I'll post my results. :driving: :driving:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Sorry for not jumping in but you really can't tune based on pulling plugs that have been run through various conditions. The best it will give you is a general idea of the overall tune of the bike and yours sounds fine.

To do a proper tune or jetting using the plugs you need to start with a fresh set of plugs and a hot motor. Disclaimer: this can be dangerous and should not be attempted on crowded city streets

1. Install the plugs in a motor up to temperature (hard to do for the front)
2. Stabilize the running temperature of the bike
3. Run the bike up through the gears holding red line in each gear for a few seconds.
4. Hold red line (or near) in 3rd (or whatever gear you can red line in given your road conditions) for at least 5 seconds
5. Pull in the clutch and shut down the motor
6. Coast to a stop and remove the plugs

Now the fun part, you'll need a special lighted magnifying light specifically made for plug checks.

http://www.kell-strom.com/tools/transdigm/champion/456.htm

Now, looking onto the plug you want to find a tan ring around the white insulator. On a properly jetted (tuned) motor the tan ring will be at the very bottom of the insulator but not extending past the vertical part of the insulator. If it's too high up the insulator then you're running lean, if it's flattened into the bottom of the insulator you're too rich. You also want to look for any metal flecks on the insulator. If you see anything shiny that's an indication of detonation so you need to back off the timing and/or add more fuel.

Now do you see why it's easier to simply get a few dyno pulls with an AFR attached ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts