Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 1130 with V&H Indy, topless, with aftermarket filter, recently acquired SE big bore kit (not installed) no other modifications.

I have already purchased a SERT brand new still in the packages and am now wondering if I should purchase one of the auto tuners and if so what everyone else is running and save all of the dyno tuning sessions - moving forward I plan on doing different motor modifications.

Looking for everybody's suggestions/opinions on this topic and also what the re-sale value of the SERT is.

Thanks,
Jon.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Don't forget - once you hook the SERT up to your bike it is married to the ECM and can not be used on another bike..
Personally I would buy the Daytona Twin Tech VRIFD

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
there are a couple of new tuners coming to the market soon, some of them are worth waiting for

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Right now as far as I know there are only three tuners out there that have the auto tune function... PCV, T-Max and the Daytona Twin Tec...

I have not used the PCV so I can't say whether it's good or bad... I've run the T-Max in all my motorcycles for 3 years... T-Max has problems right now with forced injection but they are working on it but, for stock or mild builds they are a very good tuner... I just ordered the Twin Tec for my my dresser and have a thread about it that I will update members on how it works... If it works on my dresser than I will go with it for my V-Rod with the Trask Turbo... If you want the T-Max or the Twin Tec I can help you with the cost (see my sig)... I do not have a dealership for the Power Commander V with auto tune...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the SERT or the Super Tuner? SERT is the older generation HD tuner.
It is the "Part #32109-08B "KIT-EFI SUPER TUNER, S.E, PRO"
FITS 01' - later EFI VRSC, XL, XR, DYNA, SOFTAIL and 02' later EFI touring and trike models. Also fits VRXSE destroyer race bikes"

Also, Part #32184-08A which is the "Cable kit SE PRO TUNER"

Also, CD/DVD (I do not readily have this part number) that is sold separately for teaching/tuning

Pat what is the group worth?
(I know what I paid)

Jon.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
It is the "Part #32109-08B "KIT-EFI SUPER TUNER, S.E, PRO"
FITS 01' - later EFI VRSC, XL, XR, DYNA, SOFTAIL and 02' later EFI touring and trike models. Also fits VRXSE destroyer race bikes"

Also, Part #32184-08A which is the "Cable kit SE PRO TUNER"

Also, CD/DVD (I do not readily have this part number) that is sold separately for teaching/tuning

Pat what is the group worth?
(I know what I paid)

Jon.
Jon, what you have is the newer generation tuner.

I recently paid $ 300.00 on Ebay from a guy in Tampa FL who had 13 and was blowing them out, that was for just the tuner alone, 32109-08B. There was a time when the cables came along with the tuner but those days are long gone.

IMO, what you have all together is worth about $ 350.00 - $ 375.00.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
2004 1130 with V&H Indy, topless, with aftermarket filter, recently acquired SE big bore kit (not installed) no other modifications.

I have already purchased a SERT brand new still in the packages and am now wondering if I should purchase one of the auto tuners and if so what everyone else is running and save all of the dyno tuning sessions - moving forward I plan on doing different motor modifications.

Looking for everybody's suggestions/opinions on this topic and also what the re-sale value of the SERT is.

Thanks,
Jon.
personal opinion i would stay with the sert. of course i have tuned a lot of hd`s with serts and know it well so i have some bias.. i am not a fan of auto tune expecially on v-rods.. can work well on some combinations but poorly on others..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jon, what you have is the newer generation tuner.

I recently paid $ 300.00 on Ebay from a guy in Tampa FL who had 13 and was blowing them out, that was for just the tuner alone, 32109-08B. There was a time when the cables came along with the tuner but those days are long gone.

IMO, what you have all together is worth about $ 350.00 - $ 375.00.
Pat,

Thanks - looks like the cheapest complete kit up there right now is $459.00 that said if there is anyone you know of in need of this kit I'll let the whole thing go for $425 - shipped.

Jon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jon, this is who I bought from. I see they're a little more now.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Harley-SCREAMIN-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564263736f
Did'nt see that one Pat.

Even at that price once you add the cables and CD/DVD and shipping I am cheaper.

Listen you seem to have a knack for finding the best deals - I need a bar conversion kit to go from A style to B style. I have been communicating with SWteve at V-Mod but he is very expensive. Also, I have a Kosman chain conversion kit that I need the counter shaft sprocket and any spacers etc that come in the original kit.

Any help appreciated.

Jon.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Did'nt see that one Pat.

Even at that price once you add the cables and CD/DVD and shipping I am cheaper.

Listen you seem to have a knack for finding the best deals - I need a bar conversion kit to go from A style to B style. I have been communicating with SWteve at V-Mod but he is very expensive. Also, I have a Kosman chain conversion kit that I need the counter shaft sprocket and any spacers etc that come in the original kit.

Any help appreciated.

Jon.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5642618793

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/HANDLEBAR-RISER.htm

Maybe try contacting tyson876 he might have a set.

Check this thread out. It might help you out. I have the Destroyer 20T sprocket only, which is HD P/N 40716-06.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42432

Precision Metal Fab Racing might be another place to contact for these type of parts @ 952-496-0053.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
PCV - cough cough...

ThunderCrap with AutoRuin - cough cough GAG

SEPST - hmmmmmmmmm

Some people swear by the TwinTec, but say Chris is a little, err, difficult to deal with on the phone (this from a TT dealer in Tampa Bay).

In my, (cough cough) experimentation with (supposed) auto-tuners, I ended up finding out that NOTHING WILL BEAT A GOOD DYNO TUNE - even with a (supposed) auto-tune and ESPECIALLY with Cams (ESPECIALLY).

Went round-n-round with Tmax for six months, being told "your bike is broken", before having it finally checked out at HD, ripping it out, and tuning the factory ECM with SEPST (which is nothing more than a communications interface, with some flash memory to store tunes and log ECM data).

A (supposed) auto-tuner is only as good as the base map it uses as the basis for it's trim tables. The problem with running wideband O2's in closed loop is that wide variations in readings (caused by various things) will put wild data in your trims.

A dead-on dyno tuned bike, will tune with factory ECM within .5 AFR anyway - well within a majority of any atmospheric/temp/humidity deviations - that's why bone stock bikes run pretty well wherever you take them.

My extensive (and expensive) trail and error taught me that I should have listened to my service manager and just done the SEPST from the get-go. As I mod'd, I would have needed to retune ANYWAY.

This notion of a "Harry Potter-like Magic Box" that will make your bike a 10 second monster with just a wave of it's magic wand - is a FANTASY...

If I want FANTASY - I'll stick to HBO (or the playboy network)...

Rick

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
PCV - cough cough...

ThunderCrap with AutoRuin - cough cough GAG

SEPST - hmmmmmmmmm

Some people swear by the TwinTec, but say Chris is a little, err, difficult to deal with on the phone (this from a TT dealer in Tampa Bay).

In my, (cough cough) experimentation with (supposed) auto-tuners, I ended up finding out that NOTHING WILL BEAT A GOOD DYNO TUNE - even with a (supposed) auto-tune and ESPECIALLY with Cams (ESPECIALLY).

Went round-n-round with Tmax for six months, being told "your bike is broken", before having it finally checked out at HD, ripping it out, and tuning the factory ECM with SEPST (which is nothing more than a communications interface, with some flash memory to store tunes and log ECM data).

A (supposed) auto-tuner is only as good as the base map it uses as the basis for it's trim tables. The problem with running wideband O2's in closed loop is that wide variations in readings (caused by various things) will put wild data in your trims.

A dead-on dyno tuned bike, will tune with factory ECM within .5 AFR anyway - well within a majority of any atmospheric/temp/humidity deviations - that's why bone stock bikes run pretty well wherever you take them.

My extensive (and expensive) trail and error taught me that I should have listened to my service manager and just done the SEPST from the get-go. As I mod'd, I would have needed to retune ANYWAY.

This notion of a "Harry Potter-like Magic Box" that will make your bike a 10 second monster with just a wave of it's magic wand - is a FANTASY...

If I want FANTASY - I'll stick to HBO (or the playboy network)...

Rick

Rick:

Why not go up to DOCs place outside Orlando and let him tune the bike with what HE feels will work.

He's a member here and the trip isn't really that far for you so make an appointment and ride on up.

Regards

Jerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts