Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 VRSCF K&N Topless and Tabs. The map I have is acceptable the bike runs great but I think it can do better by way of fuel mileage. I say that because I did a 40 mile run data log and viewing the log the VE I had set was always larger then the VE NEW that the ecm was calculating.

So my question is: Which base map that comes with the software can I safely use with my setup that will allow the smart tune feature as my map for some reason won't allow me to use it. When I reflash the ecm the reset adaptive fuel box is available but the smart tune box is greyed out.

TIA

·
I Hate Stupid People
720 Posts
There is no Smart Tune Available for the V-Rod On the SEPST .

·
Registered
69 Posts
:banghead:

Thx for the info. HD at it's best I guess. Is there anyway to use the data logs for fine tuning ?
Yes! I trolled these forums and found the answer about a week ago.

You might already know this, but the ECM operates in 2 modes: closed loop and open loop. Closed loop mode (where the engine uses O2 sensors to adjust mixture) can be tuned by software analyzing logs. Due to inaccuracy of the narrow band 02 sensors, Open loop is best tuned at the dyno. On a dyno the open loop cells are tuned to a baseline AFR by adjusting the VE values. Then the AFR values can be set as desired.

My bike had been dyno tuned and I later added a quiet baffle to the loud a$$ pipe. The baffle affected things in a wierd way. It caused a light surging (lean) at cruise and soot at other RPMs (rich).

I learned about MyTune software in another post. MyTune will examine your data logs and provide corrected VE tables for Closed Loop values. It can also eliminate knock by adjusting spark advance, but I didn't use that feature. My bike doesn't knock.

I used the factory Stage 1 map as a starting point, then used MyTune to analyze data logs and produce corrected VE tables. I did 7 iterations of this and it runs like a champ.

I still have some light deceleration popping at the 0% throttle (MyTune doesn't correct the 0% setting on VRSCF - these cells are all Open Loop.) This is easy to address by adding a bit of fuel to the 0% throttle position cells.

This is a pretty good option for $29.95. I considered the PCV Autotune setup and the ThunderMax tuners, but those are ridiculously expensive and have lots of people bitching on here!

Here's the url if you're interested: http://www.tunemyharley.com/

Happy tuning!

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I can say is if you don't own a dyno, MyTune is the only way to go. Did 3 recordings so far and the bike runs dead balls smooth from idle to red line. All the little hesitations and surges have been eliminated. I also purposely did some hard pulls from 3000 in 5th to make it knock and it made the adjustments to the timing. No more knocks.

:notworth: MyTune :vrod:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts