Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a new set of black comp 2 into 1 series from vance and hines and im leaving friday for a trip up to tomahawk Wisconsin (yes the big tomahawk rally) and i dont have enough time to tune the pipes so if i install the pipes and run with no tune can i do damage to the motor or will i be ok for the 800 miles with no tune? or just install the pipes when i get home?
thanks kris
p.s. bike is a 09 muscle and i also have a highflo filter to install as well these are the first mods to the bike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone will say you will damage the engine without a programer. I spoke to the guys at Tab as well as Fuel Moto and my local dealer and they all said I would be fine running just slip on's without a programer. They said the only set back was that you would not be seeing the performance potential of the pipes without it and would only gain sound.

I've had all sorts of bikes all my life and I have always rejet or programed my bikes after messing with the exhaust and air intake so this just didn't feel right so I installed the PCV for good measure.

My Harley Dealer told me they would be happy selling me a $300 unit, but said it was "totally unnecessary" and claimed they had been installing pipes on bikes since they went to F.I. and had never had a problem. They claimed during all their services the plugs looked good. They additionally said they would absolutly honor the warranty with using only the slip ons or complete system.

If i wasnt so paranoid I would have passed on the PCV, but I didn't want to risk it. I suppose you can ride it for an hour or so and see if you pipe starts to glow or your fan seem to kick on too often. If in an hour it seems to being doing fine then you'll probably be alright until you get back and install the PCV.

I would recommend reinstalling the stock airfilter and attempt to simulate stock condition an only run the slip on's for the trip. It works on dirt bikes.....:moped:

·
Registered
164 Posts
the bikes come pretty lean from the factory which is why theres such speculation to potential engine damage. however i agree with the above and think you will be fine on your trip without a tuner. as the dealer said, you will not get the full effect of the new pipe because your ecu is not set for that new pipe. however i dont think there will be any damage. i agree that you should leave the stock air filter in place until you get the tuner to simulate the stock set up. enjoy your trip, if it were me i would put the new pipe on and ride. adding a tuner will simply ''OPTIMIZE" the performance, its not essential but recommended. there are many that do not use tuners or want to. good luck. also since you are running the 2 into 1 set up, that is not considered a slip on. so running without a tune will probably make it run a little hotter until you tune it. unlike the slip ons that use the factory header pipes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts