Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tuner for my 2009 v rod. The only mods it has are a K&N filter and a Vance & Hines 2-1 pipe. I do not have easy access to a dyno facility for tuning. I am looking for the most reliable system that will correct the lean factory settings to allow my bike to run cooler and better without making it a fuel hog. I don't plan on any major future mods. I am changing the pipe from the V&H Competition Indy pipe to the V&H 2-1.

How good are the systems like the Fuelpak and the PC V where you download a canned tune? I thought this would be a very common setup, but V&H does not list a tune for my bike with their pipe and a K&N filter.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Simplest, cheapest, fastest fix is to toss the K&N in the garbage where it belongs, install a proper air filter, and install a pair of hundred dollar Xieds on the O2 sensors. Your bike will run fine, get good mileage and produce respectable horsepower.

I've been running this setup for four years, bike pulls 114 on the dyno, and I get around 38mpg. No flat spots, no sputtering, no popping, no tweaking maps, I just ride.

·
Yea it is a Harley!
108 Posts
Malcolm , any codes thrown ever? That's just my worry I have a 2012 and don't want to be throwing codes left and right

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Malcolm , any codes thrown ever? That's just my worry I have a 2012 and don't want to be throwing codes left and right
It's thrown a sensor out of range code twice in four years.

I'm completely satisfied with the Xieds, they perform exactly as described, and my bike runs very well. I'm sure a sert and several hours of dyno time could wring four more horsepower out of it, but those four horsepower have no value to me as I don't use the 114 it puts out right now.

I may try a cobra powerpro at some point in the future. It's a very interesting concept, has a lot of great consumer reviews, and I think it would get me a bit more mid range grunt. All it needs to convince me is a before and after dyno sheet with AFR's for a V-Rod. I'd try it without the dyno sheet if they got the price down somewhere near sane.

·
Yea it is a Harley!
108 Posts
Throws the codes does it clear by itself or do you need a scanner to clear them? I'm just trying to figure out what do get, I'm just adding slip ons that's it, so I'm sure I won't add cams etc, so this might be the route I go

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
The codes are easy to clear, you do it with the button on the bottom of the speedometer. For the life of me I don't remember how though. There is a sticky somewhere around here with instructions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Xieds sound interesting. I don't know exactly how the ecm works, but this would only change the closed loop operation, right? Does it do anything for the open loop? I just took out the K&N and put the factory air filter back in. I wonder if the factory open loop air/ fuel settings are rich enough to support just my V&H 2-1 pipe without it running lean?

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
The Xieds sound interesting. I don't know exactly how the ecm works, but this would only change the closed loop operation, right? Does it do anything for the open loop? I just took out the K&N and put the factory air filter back in. I wonder if the factory open loop air/ fuel settings are rich enough to support just my V&H 2-1 pipe without it running lean?
I've been told the open loop settings are indeed rich enough if you're just changing pipes. There is also an offset table (I forgot the name) that alters open loop fuel delivery based on closed loop settings.

Please note that this is all hearsay, I didn't test any of this, and I'm not an expert on Delphi ECM's. Most of it came from Steve Mullins, a fellow that does have a pretty extensive knowledge of Delphi ECM's.
I chatted with him when I was looking for something better than the PC-III I was using at the time. I couldn't find a map that was worth using, and didn't want to spend yet another $350 on a dyno tune. Using the Xieds gets my AFR down to 13.9, not perfect, but way better than stock. That's why it has twice thrown a code, the O2 sensors are running right at their bottom limit. You can do the same thing with a SERT or PowerVision by bottoming out the O2 sensor bias tables, but both of those cost a lot more than a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a dyno facility not too far away. I think that I will have a couple of pulls done to verify a/f ratios at steady cruise, part and full throttle with the stock tune. If the part and full throttle is ok, I will try the Xied's. If not, I will consider a tuner. I just hope that my new V&H 2-1 doesn't turn blue on the trip to the dyno .

·
Yea it is a Harley!
108 Posts
Malcolm , right after I sent you the pm I realized we already talked lol to I'm sorry, I still have not made my purchase but I think the xied will be the way to go, I have enough power and well I can get pipes and xied for 300.00 that would be great so guess I'll start looking.... Install easy??

·
Yea it is a Harley!
108 Posts
Exied

Duc2Vrod Malcolm , right after I sent you the pm I realized we already talked lol to I'm sorry, I still have not made my purchase but I think the xied will be the way to go, I have enough power and well I can get pipes and xied for 300.00 that would be great so guess I'll start looking.... Install easy??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts