Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an error message come up when trying to reprogram the ECM? It says that there is no connection between the computer and ECM. I tore it all apart and put it back together and same thing. I did everything exactly like the manual says. Any thoughts guys?
Thanks,
Dan :lamer:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Make sure you:

A) Select the correct COM port (sometimes you think it's COM1 but it's really COM2)
B) Bike must have the ignition turned on and the RUN/STOP switch in RUN (you'll hear the fuel pump cycle)

Before you attempt to program the ECM make sure you can read it. Press the "Get ECM Data" button to confirm the connection.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
If your using a laptop.Have it plugged into an outlet.I've had better luck that way.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Dan said:
Anyone have an error message come up when trying to reprogram the ECM? It says that there is no connection between the computer and ECM. I tore it all apart and put it back together and same thing. I did everything exactly like the manual says. Any thoughts guys?
Thanks,
Dan :lamer:
Sometimes if you have the program running and take off on the bike and come back to plug in you need to shut the program down and restart it. I did it the other day and was having a hell of a time changing maps. Just close the program out and turn of the ignition. Plug back in and open the program this should fix it.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so it says the connection is ok, gets the ecm data from the bike. Starts the programming and then 40% in, it says it can't find the J185BUS? And then just stops. Says to redo and then it has no connection again!! Well, Happy Easter everyone, I'm gonna go eat too much today.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is a known is at HD, when I was having my bike tuned the tech had the same problems. He was able to get a tech sheet from dealer support that said they were working on the problem and the only thing he could do was to turn everything and wait about 30 minutes or so then retry.

Ron

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron, did it eventually work out? I tried to fire mine up and the battery was pretty low. Does that have any bearing on the whole thing?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dan said:
Ron, did it eventually work out? I tried to fire mine up and the battery was pretty low. Does that have any bearing on the whole thing?
Yes it eventually did work out. The scary thing is that after it first failed, the bike would not even start and I was planning on taking it with me out of town the next day so, needless to say, I started to sweat a little. However after waiting a period of time, he was able to get the connection. I am trying to remember if he had to disconnect the negative battery cable. I seem to recall this being necessary. I seem to recall by doing this, it forces the ECM to reset itself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dan said:
This may be source of your problem. I would charge the battery and have a battery charger hooked up while I was doing the programing.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone. Worked fine tonight. Kinda wierd, the fan just kicked on and the injectors started running a few seconds into it. But it is all set now. Thanks again.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
curlysir said:
This may be source of your problem. I would charge the battery and have a battery charger hooked up while I was doing the programing.
That's what I do,I have my HD global tender connected,and I have my laptop plugged into an outlet.

Ron,when I got my "buse"warning.I disconnected everything even the ECM.Whether I had to go that far,I don't know,but it worked after that. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts