Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a slim custom seat and need to relocate the Turn Signal / Security Module (TSSM). The seat manufacturer suggests splicing inline a length of wire to each of the 10 wires to relocate the module. I read some other people also cut the wires and spliced in an extra length.

My thinking was that if the nylon braiding around the main wiring harness was removed, then you could push the TSSM connector through the frame hole, and should be able to gain enough slack to move the module without splicing. I am not a big fan of modifying factory wiring. I re-did all the rear lighting, but bought mating connectors and left all the stock wiring intact. I spliced and soldered using pigtails. I can't source a mating connector for the TSSM, so I am looking at all options before putting the bike under the knife. Thanks for any and all help....John

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If it were me I would remove all the pins from the harness connector and then cut the braided cover near the frame hole and pull all of the TSM wires through the hole toward the rear valve cover were most are relocating the module to. I would then reinstall all the pins in the harness and purchase a couple inches of loom from most auto supply houses to cover the wires that had the braided cover removed from. I agree that I hate to cut wires even if I can seal and solder them the more connections I have the greater chance of moisture intrusion or resistance.

Max

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The connector is potted (ie sealed), thus you can't remove the pins (unless you know the secret, then please share!!!). However the connector fits through the frame hole still attached to the wires. I did that and have about 12 inches of slack without cutting the braid yet. I figure cutting the braid can get an extra foot (depending on the direction of the new postion).

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I just have Dr. HS come and fix it! :cool:

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished relocating the TSSM module. I ended up cutting the nylon braiding as far back as possible. By doing this, I freed up enough slack to relocate the TSSM module to the front of the airbox. No splicing!!!!

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
Of course remember you "BankAngle" Sensor is in there. keep the oriantation as close to the same as possible. I see a lot of guys "Turning it side-ways" This will work and the beauty of fuel injection is, she will run upside down,the ugly part is the oil pump will suck air! If you trip it,you will need to cycle the key off and on 3 times to reset.

·
V-ROD_Dave
9 Posts
Relocation - short term solution - need info

I recently had custom corbin seat made. Cool looking seat, but it takes some getting used to because so much foam was cut away. I had to relocate the TSSM on the fly, as I was not prepared in advance to move it. I just unbolted it from its normal location, and moved it to the little zipper pouch harley sells, that I had previously mounted between frame tubes on the left side. I then used rags to orent the module as close to original as I could ... had been working great! its practly invisable.
HOWEVER,
I would like to see some pictures of the alternate location described in this thread under the airbox ... anyone will to take a snapshot and email it to me?
[email protected]
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question.... I attempted to relocate TSSM in airbox, the bike will bump over but will not stay running. Shuts off immediately after bumping over. I only had to splice one wire (green with black stripe, which I added a short length of wire)

I tried cycling the key on and off 3 times and put the TSSM back to its original location and position on rear fender and nothing changes.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If it shuts off right away then you probably have the key lite on your cluster on as well and you probably have a tssm code. The first thing to do is to read the code and see what it is. The how to on reading codes is in the technical area.

Max

·
Mitch
88 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of this mounted in the airbox?

·
Mitch
88 Posts
Holy Shit!
You have to have won the prize for the oldest thread resurrection of all time.
6 1/2 years!
Haha, I'm sorry but I actually use the search function. I was curious to see some pictures of this. Working on a custom seat and it would work a million times better without that huge block in the middle of my fender.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Haha, I'm sorry but I actually use the search function. I was curious to see some pictures of this. Working on a custom seat and it would work a million times better without that huge block in the middle of my fender.
You need to search a little more. Here's a picture of RJ’s airbox.

TSM/TSSM/HFSM orientation depends on model year. RJ's TSSM is the same type as yours (assuming you have a 2004). The current VRSC TSSMs (starting in 2007, 2006 for VRSCR) are oriented 90° compared to the one you have.

·
Mitch
88 Posts
Thanks Steve. Does this alter air flow at all in the airbox? It almost seems like the airbox is turning more into a storage compartment. lol. I was thinking about working a small amplifier into the front of it so I could mold some speakers into my air box cover.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...Does this alter air flow at all in the airbox? ...
I'm sure it doesn't help but there are some guys that have quite a bit of stuff crammed in there. You'd need to block much more of the air filter opening before you'd notice a difference and then probably only at WOT. The one thing to keep in mind is that this lower filter support needs to be removed for a number of maintenance functions so whatever you install should either have quick disconnects or be easily removed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So, I have an 08 vrscdx, is this same process for mine? As I need to move TSSM to make room for smaller seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.