Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a mishap with my TAB auto tuner and it died. I have on TAB slip ons and K&N air filter. I ran the bike without the tuner for about 40 miles and it seemed to run hotter than normal and acted like it was running lean which would be expected. I ordered a Power Vision and while I'm waiting for it I decided to pull the spark plugs to check them out. Below are the pictures. It seems a little white which would mean lean correct? The bike only has 3500 miles on it and is a 2016 VRSCF. Should I just replace the plugs with the new tuner or keep these? Where they running too lean or rich? I'm no mechanic but I like to tinker and this is a learning experience for me. Any help is appreciated.

Rear cylinder:

Front cylinder:

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
So I had a mishap with my TAB auto tuner and it died. I have on TAB slip ons and K&N air filter. I ran the bike without the tuner for about 40 miles and it seemed to run hotter than normal and acted like it was running lean which would be expected. I ordered a Power Vision and while I'm waiting for it I decided to pull the spark plugs to check them out. Below are the pictures. It seems a little white which would mean lean correct? The bike only has 3500 miles on it and is a 2016 VRSCF. Should I just replace the plugs with the new tuner or keep these? Where they running too lean or rich? I'm no mechanic but I like to tinker and this is a learning experience for me. Any help is appreciated.

Rear cylinder:

Front cylinder:
Not lean in the pics. A bit rich if anything but this can vary in the rpm as to where it's lean or rich. Eyeball reading plugs on an EFI engine is not really accurate, like the old days with leaded fuels. For example the optimum ratio of 14.7 will actually have white electrodes and the rest of the plug base will look like it came out of the package. You can see the soot on the base, so not lean for sure.
Ron

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not lean in the pics. A bit rich if anything but this can vary in the rpm as to where it's lean or rich. Eyeball reading plugs on an EFI engine is not really accurate, like the old days with leaded fuels. For example the optimum ratio of 14.7 will actually have white electrodes and the rest of the plug base will look like it came out of the package. You can see the soot on the base, so not lean for sure.
Ron
Thanks Ron, It ran OK when the TAB auto tuner was working but seemed to not run so good when it broke. I was worried me running it for a bit without did some damage to the plugs. I'm holding off riding it until the power vision comes in. Do you think I should buy new plugs now that I have a new fuel controller and I have everything disassembled already?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Thanks Ron, It ran OK when the TAB auto tuner was working but seemed to not run so good when it broke. I was worried me running it for a bit without did some damage to the plugs. I'm holding off riding it until the power vision comes in. Do you think I should buy new plugs now that I have a new fuel controller and I have everything disassembled already?
Plugs are cheap. I'd start with a new set. You can clean up the existing ones too if you wish. There will be no damage to them.
Check the gaps to be at .035"
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.