Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gloss black VRSCF. Over the "down season" I would like to try my hands at painting, I would like to go to Black Demin. Sounds easy to me, Wet sand it with #???? Grit and hit it with a flat black?? . I'm not working with a huge budget so if I can "rattle can" it. I would be willing to give it a try with some advice ofcorse :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
You want the easiest way to get a denim black starting with your gloss black. Go buy a 3000grit DA pad and a DA sander and sand all your parts. It looks just like a denim finish. Painting flat black is not as easy as everyone thinks if you want a real nice finish.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't you end up with "Swirl marks"?? from a DA sander??. Every bike I see is always Gloss black, the paint job I really want is about $1,800 and I can stick that money somewere else so I would like to stick with the black look :D

·
I Hate Stupid People
720 Posts
You want the easiest way to get a denim black starting with your gloss black. Go buy a 3000grit DA pad and a DA sander and sand all your parts. It looks just like a denim finish. Painting flat black is not as easy as everyone thinks if you want a real nice finish.
Good advice if you've never painted before & especially if you,( an inexperienced Body/Painter ) are using Rattle can Paint.. I have nothing against rattle can , but it makes no sense in using it if you just take off the Gloss...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
The denim look is achieved with a satin clear finish. The hardest part is getting a dirt free environment as it is not a sanded and rubbed out finish. I painted years ago but these new 8 part paints are a new animal. What I did last winter and might suggest is to do all the bull work yourself. Sand, primer and black the skins yourself and take it to a pro for the clear coat and hand rub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you do choose to paint just get some red scotch brite paint prep pads and hit everything good to make sure you get all the nooks and crannies, and have a nice even texture. No need to wet sand, your factory paint just needs ruffed up a little so the new paint can bite. Get a hold of a paint gun (you can pick up the mini devilbiss starting line detail gun, or something similar, for around $80 and it will lay down paint just fine for a bike sized project). I would suggest SEM's Hot Rod Black because it's a single stage, so you don't have to try to shoot a matte clear which you can't buff out or fix like gloss clears. I've had great luck with the hot rod black, and it cleans up great with turtle wax ice detailer. Don't get me wrong, this isin't the method I would use to paint everything, but it is a quick and inexpensive way to get a very nice do-it-yourself paint job. Here's a shot of my Dart hood that I painted just like I described above, just so you can see the results.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
:them:
spot on, stay single stage on the paint, enamels are good and wear well, you can pick up a real cheap paint gun at a harbor freight, practice on something first using a 50% overlap and be careful on curves and edges as that's where you'll tend to lay down excess paint and get runs, don't shoot to dry or you'll get an orange peel look, to wet, runs, rattle cans will be prone to giving a tiger stripe look, maybe check out a few utube vids on painting, good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts