Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get my clutch-side radiator cover off. I've got the engine guard installed and between that and a hose that sticks out right behind the radiator cover it's not budging... Any ideas?

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
good news. what was the problem?
Greg

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That hose that was coming out from behind the radiator cover wasn't allowing enough room to pull that tab out on the top of the cover. I kept working it and working it until I got it out of the way. The cover popped right off after that. My pieces are now ready to ship to OzzyCustoms for some X-treme Chroming!!!

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
instructions- a little late

A little late, as you've already figured it out. The easiest way has got to be to remove the whole cowling first. Otherwise, there's no way to get at the three metal to plastic nuts to remove the covers.

To remove the front cowling- it comes off easily, if you remove the correct bolts -which took me a bit to figure out. So I'll share what I learned in the process.

How-to: After removing the anodized side plates with the single torx bolt (#25 I think) on the bottom of each, the whole front cowling comes off with the removal of the two 4mm allen head bolts and washers on each side. However, be sure to pull off the rear brake fluid reservior on the right side, and remove the electrical connections on the left. The largest of the 4 connectors is fastened to the side of the cowling with a metal clip. I found it easiest to unplug the connectors and remove the cowling, and then get at that clip with the cowling mostly removed. Two of the electrical connectors are identical, so mark at least one set of them. I used a little 'white out'. You might be able to do it without unplugging the connectors, but it might be more hassel than it's worth.

Once all loosened, it takes a bit of tapping and prying to get her off. Making sure to lift the plastic tabs off and over where the 4mm allen bolts secured it.

Then removal of the plasti-chromed beauty rings is easy. There are three obvious fasteners on the back of each.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts