Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks back I popped my front end off to make sure the front head was properly lubed as my dads wasn't and the bearings went. Mine was, I didn't do anything but add new grease and put it back. My tripple tree nut however doesn't go all the way down. I still have like 2 rows of threads left even without the washer on. Is this normal? I can't remember how it was before!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...My tripple tree nut however doesn't go all the way down. I still have like 2 rows of threads left even without the washer on. Is this normal? ....
What year is your bike? Do you have an aluminum alloy steering stem (what you call a "tripple [sic] tree shaft")?

From what you wrote I'd guess that the fork tubes were stuck in the upper triple tree when the nut was installed. I'd redo the steering bearing adjustment (fall-away) and make sure the upper triple clamp bolts are loose. If you have an aluminum alloy steering stem, you should be using the special flanged nut (comes in the 45736-07 kit) without a washer. This flanged nut allows a higher torque of 65 ft•lbs vs. 50 ft•lbs when using standard nut (45718-60) and lock washer (45717-63). If you have a steel steering stem (check with a magnet), you should use the standard nut and lock washer and tighten to 85 ft•lbs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I'm a beauty how did I forget to write what my bike is!?!? 2002....I'm guessing it's aluminum- sure looks it!! Nah I made sure the top of the forks were loose when I did it. I tightened it so much I think I stripped it a little :-/ are the newer ones steel?? Wonder if those fit a 02....

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
... my bike is!?!? 2002....I'm guessing it's aluminum- sure looks it!! Nah I made sure the top of the forks were loose when I did it. I tightened it so much I think I stripped it a little :-/ are the newer ones steel?? Wonder if those fit a 02......
If your stem is original then it's aluminum alloy and yes, all stems made starting sometime in 2006 are steel and will fit up through 2009 (in 2010 the upper nut was eliminated). These aren't cheap (from $120 to $270 depending on finish and discounts) since they come with the lower triple clamp. Another issue with using newer stems is the triple clamp angle change from 4° to 2° in 2007 (as well as the '06 VRSCSE2) when the rear tire changed to a 240. The most cost effective upgrade is the flanged nut (about $45 for the kit) I mentioned in my previous post.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
If your stem is original then it's aluminum alloy and yes, all stems made starting sometime in 2006 are steel and will fit up through 2009 (in 2010 the upper nut was eliminated). These aren't cheap (from $120 to $270 depending on finish and discounts) since they come with the lower triple clamp. Another issue with using newer stems is the triple clamp angle change from 4° to 2° in 2007 (as well as the '06 VRSCSE2) when the rear tire changed to a 240. The most cost effective upgrade is the flanged nut (about $45 for the kit) I mentioned in my previous post.
Your dates are slightly off.

The '06 VRSCSE2 came with an aluminum stem too. All of the 2006 models had the aluminum stem.

In 2007 the steel stem was introduced on new models. The steel stem was subsequently made available as an upgraded replacement for the aluminum stem for the previous models.

In 2008 the entire triple tree and stem was redesigned.

Note: The 46860-06A in chrome is a lower triple tree assembly ($182.95) and comes with the lower bearing and seal installed for my bike. When I called the factory last month (to verify that the 46860-06A was a steel-stem replacement for the original 46860-06 OEM with aluminum stem) the engineer told me that the steel stem was merely peace-of-mind for the customer because the aluminum one was perfectly adequate if the threads were intact.l To paraphrase his words, "Even if the nut comes off, the unit will not come apart nor collapse." He convinced me to reuse my aluminum stem.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts

The '06 VRSCSE2 came with an aluminum stem too. All of the 2006 models had the aluminum stem.

In 2007 the steel stem was introduced on new models. The steel stem was subsequently made available as an upgraded replacement for the aluminum stem for the previous models.

In 2008 the entire triple tree and stem was redesigned. ....
I checked the M-1215 service bulletin and saw I was wrong on when the switch to steel occurred. According to M-1215, 2007 and earlier VRSC bikes shipped with aluminum stems and steel stems were fitted starting with the 2008 models. Several replacement lower triple trees had steel stems including 46752-01A, 46771-02A, 46781-06A, 46788-06A, and 46860-06A.

The triple tree redesign that eliminated the upper nut was in 2009 not 2008.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with the aluminum stems but the 2009 design is a major improvement but not easily retrofitted.

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts

In 2008 the entire triple tree and stem was redesigned.

Note: The 46860-06A in chrome is a lower triple tree assembly ($182.95) and comes with the lower bearing and seal installed for my bike. When I called the factory last month (to verify that the 46860-06A was a steel-stem replacement for the original 46860-06 OEM with aluminum stem) the engineer told me that the steel stem was merely peace-of-mind for the customer because the aluminum one was perfectly adequate if the threads were intact.l To paraphrase his words, "Even if the nut comes off, the unit will not come apart nor collapse." He convinced me to reuse my aluminum stem.
FWIW - My 2007 VRSCX had a aluminum shaft in it. I replaced it with the steel one about a year ago. original pn# 46788-06 was aluminum. 46788-06A, the upgraded shaft, is steel. Different part numbers for the DX and R

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i put a new lower triple tree on... new bearings top and bottom. races looked fine.. it still has like 1/2- 1/4 inch of threads left on the nut that the stem could come up. i dont get it. the first spanner nut thing is tight but looking at my dads (o3) his seems to go further down. i don't get it.

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
Are you ****ing kidding me lol I cannot believe how dumb I am

We've all done it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Occasionally feeling dumb is the surest way to know that you aren't.
Thanks man, that's a good saying I like it.

It's just funny I'm 27, have a LOT of mechanical aptitude (if u ask me) but something as silly as this happens. In all fairness I've never taken a front end apart!!

I could have sworn it came off this way (hey maybe it did) so
I never thought of it going that way.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
Thanks man, that's a good saying I like it.

It's just funny I'm 27, have a LOT of mechanical aptitude (if u ask me) but something as silly as this happens. In all fairness I've never taken a front end apart!!

I could have sworn it came off this way (hey maybe it did) so
I never thought of it going that way.

Or one could say that never feeling stupid is definitive proof that you are.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts