Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I just ordered a set of fork covers and I was asked to measure the space from the top to bottom of the triple trees

my 2008 DX is 214mm

Spoke to some other members with a 2008 DX that was 212mm

I'm wondering what others here who have gotten the fork covers from either GR or MS biketec have had like mm space?

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I didn't measure mine before ordering them from GR and when i got them they fit great and they come with a rubber o-ring which cushions the bottom of the cover and the lower triple tree so there is no vibrations.
If it was 1mm difference from model to model i cant see that affecting this install.

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
I ordered them from GR also & got the same O rings. When I was doing my paint job, I told the idiots at HD about the use of the Oring & it was installed correctly. There was some leak in front shocks oil so I had to change the oil seal & remove the covers , this time they didn't install & I found it at the bottom part of the covers instead in between it & the triple tree. It moves a bit up & down so probably they made it in a length of 212 mm but this wouldn't affect you in anything. It fits exactly

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
BTW did someone measure the circumference of the triple tree with covers installed? I know that it is 49 mm without but how much the covers add to this ?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have Ron's fork covers and they now measure 60.5mm and 61.3mm at the largest points(the PC probably causes it to not be exact). I now this because I had to come up with a solution for fork clamps to mount a windshield.

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
I have Ron's fork covers and they now measure 60.5mm and 61.3mm at the largest points(the PC probably causes it to not be exact). I now this because I had to come up with a solution for fork clamps to mount a windshield.
That's why specifically I am asking, & what was your solution ?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That's why specifically I am asking, & what was your solution ?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
The product I used was: Memphis Shades Turn Signal Relocation Kit - C50T (with 63-68mm Fork Clamps) I have tested it up to fast highway speeds and it holds up great.

I used a combination of the Memphis screws and the screws off the normal windshield mounting hardware. I didn't bother painting or powder-coating it because I only use it when I'm touring on the road and I don't care about "looking good" then.

I have read that some have used exhaust clamps too.

I would to take pictures of it mounted but unfortunately I just got back yesterday on a bike trip and took all touring stuff off the bike(cold but lovely riding in the rocky mountains). I did however take a few pics while out riding so I've attached two different angles of the bike with the windshield mounted.

Attachments

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
The product I used was: Memphis Shades Turn Signal Relocation Kit - C50T (with 63-68mm Fork Clamps) I have tested it up to fast highway speeds and it holds up great.

I used a combination of the Memphis screws and the screws off the normal windshield mounting hardware. I didn't bother painting or powder-coating it because I only use it when I'm touring on the road and I don't care about "looking good" then.

I have read that some have used exhaust clamps too.

I would to take pictures of it mounted but unfortunately I just got back yesterday on a bike trip and took all touring stuff off the bike(cold but lovely riding in the rocky mountains). I did however take a few pics while out riding so I've attached two different angles of the bike with the windshield mounted.
So that an HD touring Windshield but only the lower clamps attached to Memphis relocation Kit ? Nice & simple

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I put a piece of that rubber grip stuff you put in your kitchen cabinets so the dishes don't slide around to help protect the powder coat. I'm not 100% if its the HD "touring" windshield because the guy I bought the bike from gave me two windshields, the compact HD one and this one which utilizes all the same hardware that HD does...It probably is the HD touring one. I had to use some washer with the hardware to get everything to work properly though(so the screws wouldn't slip through the memphis hardware.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One question about these. My signal lights are clamped resting just above the lower triple tree. If I want to get the fork covered with this tubes and gaiters on the lower part, where should I place the signal lights? Should I cut the covers or do they account for them?

·
VRSC est -03
2,700 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts