Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important to keep a trickle charger on my battery? I have and 2003 and no I don't get to ride everyday. My first bike in 20 years, boy things have changed.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Espcially since you don't ride often, it's a very good idea. The battery starts losing its charge after only a few days, and unless you have an '08, these bikes have a pretty small battery. Trickle charger is cheap insurance.

And BTW - :welcome:

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Espcially since you don't ride often, it's a very good idea. The battery starts losing its charge after only a few days, and unless you have an '08, these bikes have a pretty small battery. Trickle charger is cheap insurance.

And BTW - :welcome:
:them:

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
I unplugged mine last year guess what was DEAD when I hooked it back up must use a trickle charger

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
OB956 said:
How important to keep a trickle charger on my battery? I have and 2003 and no I don't get to ride everyday. My first bike in 20 years, boy things have changed.
IMO, very important. Battery Tender Jr. Money well spent. PRICELESS!

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
If you're not riding at least every 2-3 days, your battery will benefit greatly from the SMART (deleted trickle) charger.

·
Registered
519 Posts
:them: :them: :them: :them: :them:

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
I have an 03 A model also and I use a battery tender. Within a week the battery will be dead if it is not pluged in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Make sure you use a "smart" charger, as opposed to a simple trickle-charger.

A trickle charger just puts a constant low-amperage charge on the battery - regardless of its charge state. If left on too long it can overheat the battery and ruin it.

A "smart" charger monitors the battery charge, turning itself off or lowering the charge as needed. It cannot, and will not, overcharge the battery.

BatteryTender™ is probably the best known brand of smart chargers in the motorcycle market, although there are others.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
they have a nice trickle charger at wally world for like 18.00 (looks identical to the HD 1) and it is a smart charger with the Quick disconnect plug and everything

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
Make connecting the trickle charger part of your routine when you park the bike away for the night. There is a constant drain on the battery when parked up especially those fitted with the self arming alarm system like the UK spec bikes.
Even though it may only be milliamps in load it is 24/7 imagine having a paper cut on your finger that won't stop bleeding, in 3 weeks you would be in a mess. It gets worse because now your battery is in a discharged condition, a process occurs called sulphation which coats the battery plates with a resistive, insulating compound which is driven deeper into the plates over time.
Sulphation cannot be reversed and will render your battery scrap, it reduces the capacity of the battery to zero eventually. This is why you may get one start and then nothing more because your battery has been reduced to 10% of it's capacity but still shows 13v after charging all night, watch that voltage collapse when you hit the starter button.
The only way to avoid sulphation is keep your battery fully charged on a trickle charger when not in use. I am the UK distributor for US made Odyssey Batteries and I have one on my 05 VRSCA been on there 2 years and starts first touch, same on my Dyna before that. Look after your battery and it will look after you!

·
Banned
579 Posts
I bought the last 3 Battery Tender JRs at Metro Suzuki a couple weeks ago, 1 for me and 1 for mom, and 1 for dad. I highly recommend it. BTW welcome and check out the Iowa Registry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts