Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I think you're going to find the preference to be for the Trask turbo, but this does raise an interesting question. Is all boost about the same? If two turbos offer 8lbs of boost, then is that going to end up feeling the same? I understand there might be some minor differences in the climb up the power curve, but it seems like if they're both offering equal boost then you should get very similar results.

BTW, I prefer the look of the Trask system, myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the design: the headers "flare up" before heading to the turbo, the exhaust pipe comes out down low (maybe one could fabricate it to hook up with an existing performance exhaust (i.e SuperTrapps), and I also really like the covers - Harley shield and the intake shield (but maybe these don't come in the kit though?). To me, the Trask seems to be "pasted" to the bike a little more where the G2 seems to "flow" with the design. I guess I don't like messing with the look of the DX too much - maybe that's my thing. Ultimately, the biggest thing for me is I'm not so keen on seeing a big red intake filter slapped on the side of an almost all-black bike bike...gotta hide it a bit....

·
Turbo Lover
140 Posts
I seem to recall a previous thread about this kit. When it first appeared on the V-mod website, it was a prototype model with some major problems with oil leaks and the turbo being too large for the application; ie, it doesn't spool up until very high in the rpms. I considered this kit also...I can't seem to find the thread which discussed it, but after reading the thread, I reconsidered. I do like the look of the exhaust pipe, but don't like the look of the other pipes.

It does cost $1000 more than the Trask kit, you probably have to drill into the engine case for the oil return(I think), and you have to ask yourself if you would get the same customer service and support as you would from Trask.

Once you ask yourself these questions, you might lean toward the Trask system.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The chrome bits and covers look good, but the trask lines flow a bit better in my opinion.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Turbo

EdmontonVRSCDX said:
Which turbo do you think is better, the trask turbo system or the G2 Motorsport Turbo...

I like the look of the G2 better...but I wonder how it compares performance wise...

http://www.g2motorsports.net/V-Twin Parts/Turbo V Rod Kit.htm

There are quite a few more options out there than the 2 mentioned. All will give you the boost you need (stock V won't handle 8# for long without a spacer or engine mods).
All have slightly different configurations. Choose the one that looks the cleanest on the bike, all have slightly different locals and up-pipes, the exhaust can be modified as it's nowhere near as critical as it is on a stock motor.
There is also an awesome kit out there - can't remember manufacturer - that hides a blower under the air-box - completely hidden. A 50- 55 Hp gain and a total sleeper look! Very Clean!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you thinking of the Vance & Hines supercharger? It is very sleeper-looking - a nice job indeed. If they could only do that more with the turbo sytems...although it is nice to see turbo too. Completely hidden isn't as much fun.

I think it's mostly the intake that throws me. It looks "squashed" to the side of the bike. But maybe a person fabricate a nice-looking cover just like the G2 and have it chromed...and you get the best of all worlds!

·
Registered
357 Posts
All boost is not the same, hence single turbo's, twin turbo's, vario-vane turbos, etc. What matters depending on the kind of riding you do is where & how fast the boost comes on. In the old days turbo's had a nasty reputation of hitting the throttle, then counting 1 one hundred 2 one hundred b4 the boost came on. Or not getting boost till you're at the 3/4 mark of your rev range. You want to keep the best aspects of a stock engine's power delivery & amplify it throughout the rev range.

Russell

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:
I like the design: the headers "flare up" before heading to the turbo, the exhaust pipe comes out down low (maybe one could fabricate it to hook up with an existing performance exhaust (i.e SuperTrapps), and I also really like the covers - Harley shield and the intake shield (but maybe these don't come in the kit though?). To me, the Trask seems to be "pasted" to the bike a little more where the G2 seems to "flow" with the design. I guess I don't like messing with the look of the DX too much - maybe that's my thing. Ultimately, the biggest thing for me is I'm not so keen on seeing a big red intake filter slapped on the side of an almost all-black bike bike...gotta hide it a bit....

That is silly. the filter is red because K&N oil is red. You can go with regular oil or even blue oil if you want. Look at mine. Nick gave me a water sock for FREE (you won't get that kind of service anywhere else I am sure) and now my filter is no longer red...kind of...

Also, I know from experience that you can remove the clutch cover without removing any of the Trask kit...big plus when you need to get in there as with any turbo system, you will be going through some clutches.

Attachments

·
Turbo Lover
140 Posts
This is what I've gathered from previous threads over many months, and in no way am I the expert on these things.

There are a lot more options on kits that the two mentioned above. The Sprintex/V&H SC mentioned above is a very clean looking kit, but there appear to be definite problems with reliability and in some cases tuning(from what others have said, and when I've called two "authorized V&H installers" about these problems, I gotten silence).

The variable vane turbo mentioned is actually a self lubricating ***********, in which Max has seriously questioned the authenticity of some of the claims made by the company(including the authenticity of the posted dyno charts). The other turbos I've researched are single turbos. This G2 kit may have a problem the turbo lag, with power coming on late in the revs(according to someone ele's description); however, the other two systems (RCC and Trask)I've looked at don't seem to have this turbo lag problem, with serious steam coming on at 4.5k -5Krpm, which gives you almost half your rev range to play with. From what I've gathered, people who own the Trask kit have run thousands of miles on their otherwise stock engine at 8lbs without a problem with engine reliability. According to owners of RCC and Trask, heat is not a problem. This is like a summary of what I've read over the many months. I've personally decided on the Trask system, because of their customer service.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
sgtrage said:
:bs: :bs: :bs: Actually, they seem to do quite well with 8lbs of boost. I'm actually running 8.7 lbs and it runs great.

Really, do you run it hard? completely stock, stock head bolts, stock compression? It's not that it won't run great - just not for long, that's a lot of boost on any stock motor with that high of compression. As good as Busa's are built even they need a bit of work for 8# or better. Head spacers, head gackets, larger head bolts ect. Stock Head gaskets are usually the first thing to give up just won't take the heat forever.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:
Are you thinking of the Vance & Hines supercharger? It is very sleeper-looking - a nice job indeed. If they could only do that more with the turbo sytems...although it is nice to see turbo too. Completely hidden isn't as much fun.

I think it's mostly the intake that throws me. It looks "squashed" to the side of the bike. But maybe a person fabricate a nice-looking cover just like the G2 and have it chromed...and you get the best of all worlds!

Ya you might be right - Vance & Hines.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
sgtrage said:
:bs: :bs: :bs: Actually, they seem to do quite well with 8lbs of boost. I'm actually running 8.7 lbs and it runs great.

Did you do install or a shop? Maybe the necessary mods were done to run that much boost safely. There are guys runnin' double digit boost out there but the motor was seriously beefed up.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Rocketdoc422 said:
This is what I've gathered from previous threads over many months, and in no way am I the expert on these things.

There are a lot more options on kits that the two mentioned above. The Sprintex/V&H SC mentioned above is a very clean looking kit, but there appear to be definite problems with reliability and in some cases tuning(from what others have said, and when I've called two "authorized V&H installers" about these problems, I gotten silence).

The variable vane turbo mentioned is actually a self lubricating ***********, in which Max has seriously questioned the authenticity of some of the claims made by the company(including the authenticity of the posted dyno charts). The other turbos I've researched are single turbos. This G2 kit may have a problem the turbo lag, with power coming on late in the revs(according to someone ele's description); however, the other two systems (RCC and Trask)I've looked at don't seem to have this turbo lag problem, with serious steam coming on at 4.5k -5Krpm, which gives you almost half your rev range to play with. From what I've gathered, people who own the Trask kit have run thousands of miles on their otherwise stock engine at 8lbs without a problem with engine reliability. According to owners of RCC and Trask, heat is not a problem. This is like a summary of what I've read over the many months. I've personally decided on the Trask system, because of their customer service.

you're gonna love whichever ................good luck, drive smart!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts