Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the instruction install that Nick recently released on DVD. As of now all new turbo's come with a complete dvd but I thought some might like to see the install so I had VRod RS convert the dvd to wmv for me so we could post this.

http://www.1130cc.com/movies/trask.wmv

If you have any questions about cost or the install feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected].

·
Registered
964 Posts
Lovely lol now I can see where I made all my mistakes!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just watched this for the first time. A point on the late models with the recovery coolant tank in the rear I know on rspencers bike we had to take a heat gun and form the tank to clear the plenum hose. We also had to trim the drain hose for the oil about 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I didnt have to bend the coolant tank but I did have to trim the drain hose almost an inch.

I just watched the entire thing, I never put a hose clamp on the front joint in the exhaust tube....never saw anything in the instructions for that....

I have one heck of a tight fit, do you think I need to take it apart and put that on, it seems to be running fine to me.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vesteroid said:
I didnt have to bend the coolant tank but I did have to trim the drain hose almost an inch.

I just watched the entire thing, I never put a hose clamp on the front joint in the exhaust tube....never saw anything in the instructions for that....

I have one heck of a tight fit, do you think I need to take it apart and put that on, it seems to be running fine to me.
I have always installed a clamp on all the vent hose fittings. In time without a clamp it will start to seep oil at that point.

Were you able to get the tank back into the locks or did you attach it some other way. We could leave robs up and zip tie it down and get the air box on but to get it back into the locks we had to reshape the back of it about 3/4 inch.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Max said:
I have always installed a clamp on all the vent hose fittings. In time without a clamp it will start to seep oil at that point.

Were you able to get the tank back into the locks or did you attach it some other way. We could leave robs up and zip tie it down and get the air box on but to get it back into the locks we had to reshape the back of it about 3/4 inch.
You got the tank back into the mounts by reshaping with heat gun? That is scary because the tank seams run throught the area near the plenum hose and reforming that area with heat will cause those seams to break down and melt apart - getting them back together can be real tricky with heat unless you have a plastic welder. Also, the plastic fumes from heating the coolant tank are extremely toxic...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RODent said:
You got the tank back into the mounts by reshaping with heat gun? That is scary because the tank seams run throught the area near the plenum hose and reforming that area with heat will cause those seams to break down and melt apart - getting them back together can be real tricky with heat unless you have a plastic welder. Also, the plastic fumes from heating the coolant tank are extremely toxic...

I used a heat gun and re-shaped it, no leaks at all and never pushed hard enough to break a seam. I have an industrial heat gun and the tank turns to putty when you get it hot enough. And yes it is back on the two pins in place now.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Oh no, I never put it back on the two pins I just moved it down so the pins hit tight up against the band that they use to attach to. I thought that was teh purpose of the longer hose...if it went back on the pins you wouldnt need a longer hose. so realy mine just sits there.

The clamp I was mising is on the front exhaust piple where it mates into the back one that the turbo sits on. The slip fit...it shows a clamp in the video but I dont remember it every saying anything about putting a clamp on it in the instructions...I think I would have to pull the turbo off to get to it now.

I beat it in with a mallet I think I am going to leave it unless you think there is a major issue with it...worse it can do is leak exhaust gas

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vesteroid said:
Oh no, I never put it back on the two pins I just moved it down so the pins hit tight up against the band that they use to attach to. I thought that was teh purpose of the longer hose...if it went back on the pins you wouldnt need a longer hose. so realy mine just sits there.

The clamp I was mising is on the front exhaust piple where it mates into the back one that the turbo sits on. The slip fit...it shows a clamp in the video but I dont remember it every saying anything about putting a clamp on it in the instructions...I think I would have to pull the turbo off to get to it now.

I beat it in with a mallet I think I am going to leave it unless you think there is a major issue with it...worse it can do is leak exhaust gas
Mark let me check and see the clamp can be taken apart and installed without taking it apart. If you need one let me know and I'll get one sent to you.

Max

·
Registered
519 Posts
Max said:
I used a heat gun and re-shaped it, no leaks at all and never pushed hard enough to break a seam. I have an industrial heat gun and the tank turns to putty when you get it hot enough. And yes it is back on the two pins in place now.
Cool.

·
Registered
519 Posts
vesteroid said:
I beat it in with a mallet...
Yeah - that was one tight fit on my install. I did have a clamp though...

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
I dont have a Trask, but that was a very interesting video.
Guess its time to start saving again! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts