Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. This is my first post here in the high preformance area, but I've been lurking for a while. I have no plans to put a turbo on my bike, but it's fun to dream... Anyhow, here's my question:

How well does the Trask turbo work in the rain?

I ask this because the air filter is exposed, and it looks like it would suck water in a downpour. It seems like a solid system, but I wouldn't want one if it stalls out every time it rains.

·
Frank
4,319 Posts
Sounds like water injection to me! Works great on motors with boost!

I all seriousness, there was a thread awhile back (try the search tool) where is was discussed and everyone said it worked just fine... MAX included.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Night Ryder said:
Hey guys. This is my first post here in the high preformance area, but I've been lurking for a while. I have no plans to put a turbo on my bike, but it's fun to dream... Anyhow, here's my question:

How well does the Trask turbo work in the rain?

I ask this because the air filter is exposed, and it looks like it would suck water in a downpour. It seems like a solid system, but I wouldn't want one if it stalls out every time it rains.
I have been in rain so hard I couldn't see the car in front of me and the bike ran like a top. Never an issue at all.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that's encouraging. My next question, is HOW does it not suck in water if the air filter is out there in the open?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Night Ryder said:
Well that's encouraging. My next question, is HOW does it not suck in water if the air filter is out there in the open?
The air filter is going to break up water when it hits it. It's not like it's submerged in a bucket. Keep in mind that cars that suffer hydrostatic lockup have tubes that lead to the throttle bodies that completely fill up. The only way that could happen on this is if you drove into water 2.5 feet deep. Otherwise it just gets a spray or splash and the filter breaks it up, I'm sure some amount passes into the turbo itself, but I doubt much if any liquid ever makes it past the turbo since it's going to break it up with impellers and then heat is going to vaporize some of it. So as Frank mentioned on a rainy day you have a form of water injection, he wasn't kidding when he said it makes them run good. I'll bet when it's raining if you could get the tire to stick your probably making as much as 5-10 hp more because of the cool humid air.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
I've ridden my RCC setup in some fairly severe rain with no problems whatsoever. Your main problem in the rain is remembering that a slight flick of the wrist will put you into some SERIOUS wheelspin which pretty much sucks at highways speed!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I expressed the same concern to Nick and he got me a water sock for the filter. Not that you really need it but it does cover the red filter. :)

Basically the water will still go through, but it just collects on the sock and drips off the bottom.

Coming home from Prague I was 5 hours in the rain, I never even noticed a cough. Now when you park, and the rain continues and the filter gets wet, when you start the bike it sucks the water from the filter and chokes a bit...but as soon as it starts that is the end of it...

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
Never had an issue with mine in the rain either. I just need to oil the airfilter more

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would think that the oil in the filter would disperse water as well.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
This is a sample listing for covers from the useforce.com site. They also sell a cover / pre-filter for use when wet weather riding as well.

Scum Bag - Black Details

Scum bags are a soft cloth bag designed to go over your Forcewinder when your bike is being blasted at the hi-pressure car wash, or if it has to sit out all nite in a nasty rain storm, but of course NOT when the bike is running.
Scumbags come in black, blue, red, yellow, white, orange, silver and purple. Your bike would throw its chest out with pride when it's parked & sporting one! Just don't be a Scumbag....own one !!

Price: $41.95

1 - 11 of 11 Posts