Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a few of members here have played with upgrading the fuel delivery with the Trask set-up. There were a lot of different opinions and ideas in regards to the correct size Pump, and injectors etc. I am going to freshen my motor this fall and want to start the collection now to minimize down time. Any experiences and helpful info is greatly appreciated.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
What exactly are you doing on the freshen up?

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly are you doing on the freshen up?
Gonna have Scott do his P&P head pkg, pistons, ARP Hardware, engine brace and the fuel system. I'm actually ok with the power, however a little more won't hurt. I have a Meth kit that I want to install too, along with a bunch of other small details that I need to get done to the bike. Gotta strip it to the frame, so I want to be prepared to get this moving asap when I do it. Tear down usually takes an evening, the re-assembly will undoubtedly take 5 months. You did similar to your bike correct? How's it holding up, any issues?

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Gonna have Scott do his P&P head pkg, pistons, ARP Hardware, engine brace and the fuel system. I'm actually ok with the power, however a little more won't hurt. I have a Meth kit that I want to install too, along with a bunch of other small details that I need to get done to the bike. Gotta strip it to the frame, so I want to be prepared to get this moving asap when I do it. Tear down usually takes an evening, the re-assembly will undoubtedly take 5 months. You did similar to your bike correct? How's it holding up, any issues?
I have the 9.5 comp. pistons, head work (Scott) arp.studs etc. destroyer inj. 5bar reg, and hi flow pump.
Its working really well, 3 other guys just saw it run down the track, ask them for their honest opinion, check out (conesville) in the Rally section.
The only thing i would probably change (money no object) is stroke it.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the 9.5 comp. pistons, head work (Scott) arp.studs etc. destroyer inj. 5bar reg, and hi flow pump.
Its working really well, 3 other guys just saw it run down the track, ask them for their honest opinion, check out (conesville) in the Rally section.
Looking to do about the same as you, since I think the power is good enough for my needs. I'm more interested in making the motor stronger and maybe a bit more reliable. Which fuel pump did you go with? And injectors, were they stock Destroyer Injectors? Thanks, if you can offer me the info, I had pm'd another member that did it too, but never heard back. Thought maybe it was some kind of proprietary info or something.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lane, what changes did you make to the TM tune? Also what regulator are you using?

Any idea of the numbers you are getting? Using stock cams?

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
i was able to see Lane's bike run this weekend. every time down the track was as hard as the next (when you hooked up and kept the front wheel down :hidesbeh:)

H2Ov ......he said in the post above that he was running destroyer inj. and the fuel pump used is a fuel pump out of a ford mustang which can be found new on ebay. do a search in the hi performance section for more info.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
i was able to see Lane's bike run this weekend. every time down the track was as hard as the next (when you hooked up and kept the front wheel down :hidesbeh:)

H2Ov ......he said in the post above that he was running destroyer inj. and the fuel pump used is a fuel pump out of a ford mustang which can be found new on ebay. do a search in the hi performance section for more info.
When are you going to jion the tribe? :hidesbeh:

I ran the pc111 with great results.

Operator error in 5th gear to long and I had to rebuild it again.:mad:

Now I am running the SERT. I hope the tune will be this Friday.

Everything lined up. :dance:

I changed the intake cams to the 1250's so it will have a closer overlap. Cheap way for turbo cams. Everything is basck to stock in the engine.

I have the upgraded fuel pump in the tank and also running the 5 bar regulator.

The plan on Friday is to do 2 passes in data mode to check timing and knock.

Then we are going to tune each cylinder seperate.

Keep in mind that Trask has changed the injector size to a smaller set constant to get more fuel and still keeping the stock PSI. Thanks Greg!!!

I really think the new pump and higher pressure is going to have me put the 3.87 stock injector size back into the constant.

I am going for 12.5 12.7 on the top end.

rod

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'd like to fab a shower head injector system ( second set above the throttle body) along with the big walbro pump. If we can get plenum machining & design consensus, anybody else in ?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
A single small turbo like the one trask is using... is not going to get you 200 HP by itself. The injectors we have now for stock is plenty.

Going to Destroyer injectors...I think you are stilling pulling so much fuel back that in the end it is the same as the stock .

Now this would be a great experiment to find out if it is really true.

Lets talk meth and a second single injector...

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Lane, what changes did you make to the TM tune? Also what regulator are you using?

Any idea of the numbers you are getting? Using stock cams?
Bruce
I am using a 5Bar regulator like this one...http://shop.group5motorsport.com/evo.../i-145467.aspx

Stock Cams

The TM tune, i pluged in the injector #'s for the compensator from current stock map and let it tune from there which was still way off from all the pressure. But I let it do its thing just to see what happens and it done pretty good job according to track times. But I made alot of changes to motor since last blast at track to be fair.
I also was running 12lbs Boost w/9.5 compression pistons. That sounds like alot but by the internet boost calculator i should be at 14.5lbs Boost to be equal to 11.5 comp. 9.5lbs boost as before. But some other changes were made and I'm not exactly going by that.

The Dyno i ran on last year wasn't there so didn't get to pull any #'s but track times are pretty close but I was running a 30T pulley instead of the 28T from last time in the 1/8 mi.

I will say this, even w/30T,reactor wheels,250 tire and I'm not a little guy, this thing was pullin hard in the 1/8 mi. My best time Test/Tune was 6.9x, last year was 6.8x on the stock motor/28T to give you an idea. As BlumJ said...when it hooked up and i was able to keep the front end controlled.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

yeah, he answered all the questions. the thread about the fuel pump had taken a few different turns and was curious in feedback as to exactly the set-up that he is running and the reliability of it. I also was not sure if the injectors were reworked in anyway at this point of if he had changed anything out due to compatibility issues. THX AGAIN fr the info Lane. Go the FPR on order and going to order the rest this week.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
there are several websites with calculators for figuring injector and fuel pump sizing needed for your target hp numbers.. rb racing and rc engineering come to mind..

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
A single small turbo like the one trask is using... is not going to get you 200 HP by itself. The injectors we have now for stock is plenty.

Going to Destroyer injectors...I think you are stilling pulling so much fuel back that in the end it is the same as the stock .

Now this would be a great experiment to find out if it is really true.

Lets talk meth and a second single injector...
Meth is probably my next step and possibly a 3Bar map sensor. :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wow! Pricy little item.. Always thought lower compression/higher boost was the way to go. Agree with the 9.5 or 10:1 ratio. Did CP make you a custom set? You sure got me thinking!

More questions.... Have you checked your AFR using the Thundermax? Curious what its running. To bad we dont have pyrometers set up so the exaust temp could be checked.

Thanks for the info! Bruce

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
When are you going to jion the tribe? :hidesbeh:

I ran the pc111 with great results.

Operator error in 5th gear to long and I had to rebuild it again.:mad:

Now I am running the SERT. I hope the tune will be this Friday.

Everything lined up. :dance:

I changed the intake cams to the 1250's so it will have a closer overlap. Cheap way for turbo cams. Everything is basck to stock in the engine.

I have the upgraded fuel pump in the tank and also running the 5 bar regulator.

The plan on Friday is to do 2 passes in data mode to check timing and knock.

Then we are going to tune each cylinder seperate.

Keep in mind that Trask has changed the injector size to a smaller set constant to get more fuel and still keeping the stock PSI. Thanks Greg!!!

I really think the new pump and higher pressure is going to have me put the 3.87 stock injector size back into the constant.

I am going for 12.5 12.7 on the top end.

rod
I'm going 11.8 to 12.0

I think your still going too lean and you don't have an IC :deal: fat is happy and lean is :broke:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts