Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody heard of this transmission fail.
Initially would not shift down easily but shift up was OK Then would only shift down when stopped Took it to the Shop (in 2nd all the way)
Nothing external was found Now its locked in gear and wont change at all. Clutch in to move it about

Looks like i have some dollars to spend...

·
"Dirty Red"
100 Posts
Had a second gear fail 2 years ago, this seems to be a design flaw with VRSC bikes. I called the factory and they paid for the parts, not the labor though.

·
Noel
4,612 Posts
.. Clutch in to move it about
Looks like i have some dollars to spend...
Have you ridden in unusual conditions, racing?

Check a few items on the PM list, before splitting the case to investigate further for damaged gear, dog(s), fork(s), shafts for the shifter drum & forks.

Clean and Lube the shifter links & pivot.
Engine oil up to spec.
Flushed with fresh Clutch fluid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Have you ridden in unusual conditions, racing?.
Engine oil up to spec.
Clean and Lube the shifter links & pivot.
TaxmanHog
Nope
It has only 5000K on it and not ridden very hard either. It is an 06 model and i have had it from new, and of course is out of warranty :|

It has just been serviced and the shop has already looked at the external stuff.
I dont think it could be clutch as its now stuck in gear and cant be shifted out of gear....

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
it is possible that if you talk to the dealership and possibly call hd you could get the parts to fix the bike, i have seen that more than a few times,, you won`t get the labor but getting the parts is always a help..

·
Flat Broke
285 Posts
TaxmanHog
Nope
It has only 5000K on it and not ridden very hard either. It is an 06 model and i have had it from new, and of course is out of warranty :|

It has just been serviced and the shop has already looked at the external stuff.
I dont think it could be clutch as its now stuck in gear and cant be shifted out of gear....
That explains it, You are supposed to ride the shit out of it!! :spank: Bike musta figured you just wanted to go slow and didn't need the other gears.

This is the kind of thing I worry about. I will get to know my bike very well if something like this happens. I refuse to let the stealer touch my bike.

·
motorsickle1130
219 Posts
Now the bike is chained to the stove

I started having shifting problems on an sv650. It didn't get as bad as yours, but I took about a 200 mile trip one day and spent most of it racing a buddy on his DX and wound the piss out of it. Problem went away. Probably not likely that will ever happen again, but if it acts up, beat it until it straightens up!:spank: HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
If the trans is not working properly going out and thrashing it is really asking to get hurt or even killed in a big get-off. It's about as logical as going swimming with chest pains.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Are you saying you did not wait an hour before swimming??? :hidesbeh:

I agree thrashing is a high risk.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I say take it apart and figure it out urself. Thats what I did. I pulled my whole bike apart after I dropped it in the driveway and couldn't get it to shift out of neutral. So I loaded it into the truck and took it to the dealer, imagine pushing a 600 lb bike up into the back of a super duty pickup in neutral BY YOURSELF! The dealer quoted $4500 for the repairs, although they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it. So I pushed it back into the truck (this time someone at the dealership helped) and took it home. I pulled the front rails off and dropped the motor about 6 inches out of the frame and realized that she shift shaft was broken. $90 later an o-ring and an oil change and my bike was back to new. Its probably not your situation but it just goes to show how much attention the dealers pay to your bike before they quote your repair costs. If I had written a $4500 check that day they probably would of told me it was a $90 part. Its business not friendship.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I get the feeling it's shifter related and might just be a broken spring. What's your location?
It's always a rebuild at the dealers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fixed

Broken shift actuator spring

There was an upgrade about '06 to a beefier setup (was mentioned on another post by rc4man)
Dealer quoted 16-18 hours for the fix, Did it in 12 and the parts were reasonable.

Could have been a lot worse

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
What is the build date on your bike?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts