Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of the shift collar/ dog clutch between 1st and 3rd gear on the output shaft. Mine is cracked and the only way to replace it is to buy the complete shaft. Wondering if anyone has a spare laying around. Let me know what you have. Thanks!

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
Did he say why he wasn't able to help? He told me that he had access to them, so years ago I sent him a transmission with a cracked shift collar, and he sent it back with a new that he had modified.

Later I bought another engine that had a different mod done to the shift ring. it still had 6 struts (instead of the 3 on the VRXSE stock ring), but each side had half of each strut cut away. So there are 3 wide slots for the shift dogs to grab on one side, and 3 on the other for the other set of shift dogs to grab, but just offset by 1 strut.

I would attach a picture but my engine is assembled for now, so I hope that my description is clear. This is the best way to maintain strength and still have a shorter (less than 100 milliseconds) engine kill. The first modification to my original motor didn't allow me to go below 100 milliseconds without chopping and damaging the teeth...

Update: I forgot to mention that it is necessary to install a pressure switch as close to the shift cylinder to make sure that you're getting a truer kill duration...this helps to save the teeth, dogs and rings from chipping (after they're modified and improved). I had not done that on the first mod and had issues because the pressure wasn't up to what it needed to be to make a short kill duration. Get the pressure switch if you don't already have it; they're cheap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had r and d do this transmission a few years ago. I believe the shift collar mod is done on the input shaft. When I talked to Mark he said that they bought everything up years ago and put it to use. Said he didn't have the collar I need.

·
The Hawk
3,779 Posts
I have a complete transmission gear setup out of a 2004 that the Dealer in Hawaii got for me as a backup when I was racing a lot. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since. PM me if you are interested in buying the whole setup for a reasonable price.

Mike

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
Clint, I just spoke to Mark at R&D. He said to me that they have plenty of stock shift rings available to modify to his specific cut. He has them made so there is a seemingly endless supply. Send him your transmission and have him do the pro cut on a new ring. He will magnaflux test the assembly for cracks too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll call mark again. I don't understand why he told me he didn't have any unless he misunderstood the part I needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with Mark at RandD and he again told me that he does not have nor does he make the collar that I need. He only makes the collar for the input shaft do to the stock collars constant failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts