Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not what I was hoping for in my new Harley but maybe someone could shed some light on my situation. I was rolling to work this morning and thank God only one red light to go when I realized I could not down shift into 3rd gear. :hitfan: The bike is stuck in 4th and 5th gear. It upshifts fine to 5th and down to 4th but not down to 3rd. The dealer picked it up for me this morning around 8:30am and when I went to check on it, they had no idea what was wrong with it. :hmm: :ithappen: All they said was that they would have to pull the motor and crack the cases to fix it. I think it's a shifter fork either bent or broke but up untill then it shifted fine? Any Ideas?

·
Registered
474 Posts
How many miles are on it? When I bought my bike, I had to move the heel of my boot up on top of the peg so I could shift down through the grears. Upshifting was fine. Neutral was almost non-existent. The problems went away in a couple of hundred miles. Now it shifts great, and I can find neutral without a problem.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 1158 miles.

I never had a problem with shifting ever. Or finding neutral. I have had this bike for 6 weeks now.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I had the same kind of problem. The shift linkage would not return because the peg shaft became stiff. There is a white plastic sleeve that swelled up due to heat. I removed it and cleaned it and coated it with some no-oxide grease and have not experienced the problem again.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shift linkage moves freely. I use to race motorcross back in the day and my KTM 125 had a problem something like this except 1st and 2nd were gone.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
I thought the same thing about mine, then I noticed the the shifter was sticking on the radiator shroud. Might be something to check!!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I still ride a CR 250 and love the dirt. My linkage moved freely also but when you toe down there is very little spring pressure to make the return so you can continue to shift down. It doesn't take much resistance to cause this problem. Worth checking out beofe you let some stealership remove the engine.

Bruce

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the news from the dealer today. They would not touch it first without calling Milwaukee to ask them what to do about it :banghead: . H-D told them not to split the case and they were going to be sending a whole new engine to replace mine. Guess H-D wants to see for themselves what happened. On a good note I got a loaner bike. An 2004 VRSCB. Just like mine only brand :spank: new! I mean new, only 98 miles on it when I picked it up. :thumb: :plause:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
I'd say thats a good deal. In another post, someone said that the v-Rod might go away. Not with that kind of commitment. If the factory wants to see inside, that means they've got some plans for the V-Rod for sure.

Wonder if they'd take my motor back with 15.5 grand on it for miles? I think my shifter is a little tight?!? WHADDADEAL!!

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard that!!! The guys at Longhorn H-D in Grand Prarie Texas have done good by me. If your in the area (DFW) stop by and give them some business. They really have their act together. :thumb:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Biker Bill said:
I heard that!!! The guys at Longhorn H-D in Grand Prarie Texas have done good by me. If your in the area (DFW) stop by and give them some business. They really have their act together. :thumb:
Thats some Great News! :plause: Way To GO HARLEY DAVIDSON! :thumb:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Good thing the dealer did some asking before digging.Thats a dealer that cares about you and there own liability.Like Kaz says;Way to go Harley.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
I seen this about a year ago. The shift linkage in the tranny took a shit. I split the cases to find the problem. Guess I should have called H-D and got a new motor. My Bad, I fix them. Later SKI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts