Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently laid my bike down (on the left side), the only significant damage was to the shift linkage. I had it all replaced/installed (linkage and shifter arm). Now, the trans stays in gear as long as I have the engine under load. If I coast (while in 2nd-4th) it will jump out of gear. I am having the shift linkage adjustment inspected (based on thread http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722). Any other ideas as to what this could be? :banghead:

Thanks...

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that is what my mechanic and I were thinking. I was hoping it was something simple. Can anybody get me the part #? (I am out of town and no parts manual with me) I am sure this will probably be special order too.... :(

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
I have read about this happening to other members, but it was not a bent shifter fork, they are not sitting on the same shaft.
If I'm not mistaken then Kurt / "LL Cool K" had a similar problem, the shift shaft was broken. If you are lucky and really know how to do it then you can exchange it without pulling the engine out. It is tricky, because there is a risk that the new shifter shaft doesn't slide into the shifter actuator assembly (item 23) because it moved.
It was a long thread with photos and all.
Attached a sketch, I hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Thought about it a bit more, it's not just a broken shifter shaft, something wrong with the shift actuator and/or detent arm assembly (item 20).
Maybe it's worth a try to peek through the hole for the speed sensor with an endoscope.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taken time and effort to analyze this issue. I will definitely look at what you are referring to and let you know the outcome...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since it affects both 2nd and 4th gear, that, to me points to a bent shifter fork. It happens so often to so many bikes it is almost a given. All it takes is one good hit (like falling down or missing a shift a high RPM) to bend it.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So are you talking about part labeled 11 or 12 in Jan-Dirk's jpeg (or both?)?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
With your bike being an 02,and with all the known problems inside the early transmission shift mechanism,I'm inclined to think you need all of the "new&improved" internal shift parts.
I thought Harley offered a package that covered all the parts that upgrades the trans shifting mechanism inside?
There are other parts needed to do the job,such as main bearings.I do not know all of the parts,and if I did this upgrade to mine,I would surf this forum and make a list of parts to have before the teardown.The mains cannot be ordered until you have the color code.
If you cannot tackle a job like this and can do the engine removal,ask around and see if you can ship your engine to one of the Guru's that have done this here on the forum.1st person I would ask is SmoothRod.He and some of the others are smart,have plenty of experience and they are very quick with their work.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
With your bike being an 02,and with all the known problems inside the early transmission shift mechanism,I'm inclined to think you need all of the "new&improved" internal shift parts.
I thought Harley offered a package that covered all the parts that upgrades the trans shifting mechanism inside?
There are other parts needed to do the job,such as main bearings.I do not know all of the parts,and if I did this upgrade to mine,I would surf this forum and make a list of parts to have before the teardown.The mains cannot be ordered until you have the color code.
If you cannot tackle a job like this and can do the engine removal,ask around and see if you can ship your engine to one of the Guru's that have done this here on the forum.1st person I would ask is SmoothRod.He and some of the others are smart,have plenty of experience and they are very quick with their work.
Oh,and thanks for the PM.:notworth:

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Elrod, you need to become an executive. You are so smooth with the bad news....... I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to my request. it amazes me that a color code is associated with a transmission upgrade (excuse my ignorance).. my mechanic is more than able (attended and is certified on the VROD) I just need to know the no shit what i need to do to fix this... I wish i still lived in Tampa so that I could just bring the bike 2 you direct for the fix.. I will engage SmoothRod for his additional guidance...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Elrod, you need to become an executive. You are so smooth with the bad news....... I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to my request. it amazes me that a color code is associated with a transmission upgrade (excuse my ignorance).. my mechanic is more than able (attended and is certified on the VROD) I just need to know the no shit what i need to do to fix this... I wish i still lived in Tampa so that I could just bring the bike 2 you direct for the fix.. I will engage SmoothRod for his additional guidance...
A dealership is going to charge you out the ass.I say you should check around this forum and send the engine out.You will wind up thousands of dollars ahead if the shop you deal with is anything like the others.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Elrod, that is too funny as there are no dealerships where I am.. I am lucky that my mechanic is an American certified on the VROD.. i have to order my parts via the USPS and hope it gets here in 4 weeks or less and then hope I and my mechanic are correct in the assessment of the situation... If i was to send my engine out it would probably cost half of the value (in U.S. dollars) to get it fixed

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Elrod, that is too funny as there are no dealerships where I am.. I am lucky that my mechanic is an American certified on the VROD.. i have to order my parts via the USPS and hope it gets here in 4 weeks or less and then hope I and my mechanic are correct in the assessment of the situation... If i was to send my engine out it would probably cost half of the value (in U.S. dollars) to get it fixed

I didn't realize you aren't in the U.S.
Still,there are people on this forum with more experience and knowledge than I have to ask about the parts you might need so you can order ahead of time and save you a little down time on your bike.
Good luck.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks elrod for your upfront objectiveness. I will let you all know how it ends up. It just frustrates me as this is the 2nd year in a row that I have a 3+ day one way trip lined up and can't make it for mechanical issues (I am to blame for this one)....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can You relist the site or proscess that LL cool K posted? I broke My shift shaft after a burn out and ordered one from the stealership should be in Tues. was going to attempt it myself. any help would be great Thanks

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
jon1zc; said:
So are you talking about part labeled 11 or 12 in Jan-Dirk's jpeg (or both?)?
It is probably 11 OR 12 but not both. The one that was doing the engagement during the crash is probably the one that bent.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the bike back home yesterday. I was extremely lucky. We were able to split the case and take the transmission out from the bottom. Found that the spring (Item 19 in Jan-Dirk's jpeg) was loose (therefore no tension to hold the bike in gear unless a load). Everything else checked out OK (Drum, shift forks, etc..). Probably what happened is when the shifter shaft was replaced the spring slipped.. So bottom line it cost me labor only to get this one fixed...

Thanks again for all your info/support,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts