Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Has your bike been in for a trans repair related to shift forks or the shift drum?

• Yes

Votes: 42 4.4%
  • No

Votes: 469 48.8%
  • My bike is not an 02-04 bike so this doesn't apply

Votes: 429 44.6%
  • I don't have a bike but like to vote in polls

Votes: 21 2.2%

• Total voters
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Shifter shaft woes: I have had my second shifter shaft fail! Both failed after replacing the left side frame rail because of a lay-down, but not for several thousand miles! I strongly recommend replacing the shaft after a left side frame replacement. Ray (VRodCustoms) has sent me a complete assy so we can videotape the replacement process. We will post the whole thing in a "how-to".

·
Registered
666 Posts
would getting the upgraded drum make the 1-2 upshifts any better? It seems like at least once every time I ride, I'll hit neutral and it really bothers me, since it only seems to happen when I'm around other people and makes me look like a dumbass that can't ride.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
No problems yet.Early 04 w/25000mi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Replaced mine at 70,000km. Replaced the shift drum. Mechanic said it looked like harley updated the part.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Well, I just joined the "shifter blues" crowd. Will start repairing the transmission this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
The poll is missing an option...

Does your bike NEED to go in for a repair because it's exhibiting symptoms but you are too cheap to do it until a catastrophic failure occurs?

·
Registered
214 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
The poll is missing an option...

Does your bike NEED to go in for a repair because it's exhibiting symptoms but you are too cheap to do it until a catastrophic failure occurs?
Oh! I'm busted!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
03 same problem as some. from new..2nd to N on upshift intermittently and more often 1st to 2nd only to end in N (embarrassing). Worst of all currently at shop, 15k miles, (week 3) Transmission being T/S (teardown) for getting stuck in 2nd after warmup and last week it was R/R leaking water pump...makes me sick :(

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
If ya' gotta get stuck in a gear, 2nd isn't a bad one. I can ride all day from there. lol

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
This thread is really for 02 and 03 v-rods and some early 04 bikes that the shift drum gear was a press fit and did not have a steel pin in them.

Has your bike been in for a trans repair related to shift forks or the shift drum?
I broke a shift fork and then all hell broke loose in my trans, or maybe all hell broke loose and then I broke a fork?

either way I've had tranny problems :deal:

saw this Poll by Max and just had ta post up :D

61 - 74 of 74 Posts