Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried to trade there v-rod in at the dealer for another v-rod or any harley for that matter?

·
Registered
140 Posts
have thought about it, but not sure there's enough vaseline to be able to handle the screwing they would give ya.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Our sales guy said if we do trade any bike back in.. Make it as stock as possible and just sell off the parts you don't need on the new bike. At least you will get some money out of the parts. They won't do it justice if you leave them on.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I can't speak for V-rods but the airheads get amazing trade in value around here. The baggers especially do quite well.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
For my 06 D, they only offered 10.5k.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I traded an 02 for an 04, and then traded that on an 06. All were A models and was treated fairly well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was going to sell my DX awhile back. I went to where I bought it and they offered 15,000 for it on trade. I paid 16,300 for it back in October. It has 2800 miles on it. I'm moving to Gainesville GA. so I decided to keep the DX because of all the great places to ride there. Here in Amarillo, TX it's all flat, straight and wide open spaces. Way more suitable for baggers and the like.
Anyway I felt a 1300 dollar hickey wasn't to bad for a trade in. I'm glad I'm keeping the DX.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i went to a dealer and i said "i have a 06 niterod and owe 2000.00 less than msrp with 4000 miles( bone stock chrome kit came on it and its cobalt blue) which he didnt even ask any questions started laughing and said and i quote i asked him if i could quote him and he said" you should sell it and come back, i have 2 06 streetrods i cant give away why would i want another vrod" then i ask the SALES MGR about the 08 dx he said the same thing i'm

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm in awe, or ever the hell how you spell it.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Only if you want to get raped!!

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
2oo6niterod said:
i went to a dealer and i said "i have a 06 niterod and owe 2000.00 less than msrp with 4000 miles( bone stock chrome kit came on it and its cobalt blue) which he didnt even ask any questions started laughing and said and i quote i asked him if i could quote him and he said" you should sell it and come back, i have 2 06 streetrods i cant give away why would i want another vrod" then i ask the SALES MGR about the 08 dx he said the same thing i'm

The street rods are definitely not high on the trade-in list!

·
Registered
15 Posts
trading in a V-Rod ranks as follows:
97)V-Rod
98) ironhead sportster
99) aermacchi
100) AMF harley golfcart

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Was thinking about it last year and talked to the dealer.Told me they'd give me $12000 for it on a trade for an Ultra.Went in and it changed to $8500.Don't think I would have like the ramming on that deal.Going to buy an Ultra or Road King next year for long hauls.Keeping the v though!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey guys, I sell bikes for a living. One of the things that happens in the bike swap game is trade value. It is only worth what you will accept for it and what the dealership will pay for it, resell it, make a profit. From one area of the country to the other the popularity of different makes and models varies. Also from dealership to dealership. Therefore trade values vary. Always understand the bike dealer will not pay you retail. The business cannot stay in business that way. I cannot make my house payment if I buy and sell at retail. If you want retail, you have to sell it yourself. As a bike owner I have done it both ways. Sold it myself and traded. If I think the over all deal on the trade and purchase as a bike owner is good I will do it. If not, I sell it myself. Look at the overall picture. I have customers that are so attached to their trade, they ignore the other half of the deal, the bike purchase. For the equation to work it must work well for both parties on both halves of the equation. And if you are upside down on the trade it should be something you really want for the deal to make sense to you. I have customers that are so upside down on so many bikes they continue to roll forward that their bike payment looks like my house payment.

VROD RS is right, make the bike as stock as possible. Everyone wants to personalize their own bike. So does the buyer of your trade. Your personalizations are yours and you like them but the next buyer will probably not. That is why realtors tell us to make the house neutral before we put it on the market. Hot pink trim on the house does not resell well!!

Keep your stock parts when you swap them to something personal and put them back on when you trade or sell. Or offer them to the buyer as part of the deal and up the price a little.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
RaderDX said:
Hey guys, I sell bikes for a living. One of the things that happens in the bike swap game is trade value. It is only worth what you will accept for it and what the dealership will pay for it, resell it, make a profit. From one area of the country to the other the popularity of different makes and models varies. Also from dealership to dealership. Therefore trade values vary. Always understand the bike dealer will not pay you retail. The business cannot stay in business that way. I cannot make my house payment if I buy and sell at retail. If you want retail, you have to sell it yourself. As a bike owner I have done it both ways. Sold it myself and traded. If I think the over all deal on the trade and purchase as a bike owner is good I will do it. If not, I sell it myself. Look at the overall picture. I have customers that are so attached to their trade, they ignore the other half of the deal, the bike purchase. For the equation to work it must work well for both parties on both halves of the equation. And if you are upside down on the trade it should be something you really want for the deal to make sense to you. I have customers that are so upside down on so many bikes they continue to roll forward that their bike payment looks like my house payment.

VROD RS is right, make the bike as stock as possible. Everyone wants to personalize their own bike. So does the buyer of your trade. Your personalizations are yours and you like them but the next buyer will probably not. That is why realtors tell us to make the house neutral before we put it on the market. Hot pink trim on the house does not resell well!!

Keep your stock parts when you swap them to something personal and put them back on when you trade or sell. Or offer them to the buyer as part of the deal and up the price a little.
Very well put.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts