Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And what do I do about it?

I know there is some mixed reviews of Toxic Pipes, but I bought this 08 DX used with the pipes already installed. These pipes have quite a bit of rust on them, not just a little bit, but not solid rust either.

What are my options? I think the most basic option would be to take the pipes off, wire brush the rust off and repaint them with heat resistant paint (flat black of course) but is that really that easy and any recommendations on paint?

I have heard about Jett coat and other coating options, but can someone explain these in more detail? Cost? Where to go for it, etc?

Would powder coating work?

On a separate note, any way to put baffles in? I don't think I have any baffles in now, but pipes are so loud that after 30 minutes of riding, my right ear is ringing which obviously is bad. Love the sound of the pipes, but would like to make them a little more hearing friendly. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
*ear plugs work wonders* lol i had my pipes ceramic coated so far so good they have held up great and i did ride in the rain several times

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
I just traded my Vlux's for a set of headers and a CFR and when I took them off I saw where the heatshields were attached to that some rust had started so I sanded them gradually down then had the airplane mech crew shoot it with some high heat black paint. The guy said its like BBQ grill paint. I was like umm ok. I was going to try the high heat dupli spray can that they have at autozone. But I traded them and since the new owner didn't know what he was going to do with them I kept them easy sand or prep for what ever aplication he was going to do with them. If you need a map let me know I have a few. I actually used Brotha wolfs 1130cc on my 1250 which worked the best.

Oh but my heatshields were powder coated and I never got burned or ruined any jeans. :D

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sanding tomorrow

So I just got done taking the pipes off. A have a few questions before I spend tomorrow sanding all the coating and rust off the pipes and painting them:

1) Forgive me if I don't know the proper part names, and please correct me so I learn them. I am going to sand the pipes down to bare metal and then try to paint them with high temp paint. The small metal circular seal that allows the flange to pull the pipe up against the engine is pretty rusty. If I clean the rust off of these, can I paint them with the high temp paint or is it not worth it? I don't want them rusting any more.

2) The flanges that hold the pipes on are pretty clean, but would like to paint them the same flat black high temp so that they match the bike and the pipes. Any harm in this?

3) With regard to those same metal seals from before, do I need to think about replacing them? Do they go bad?

Will take some before and hopefully after pics tomorrow.

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
I didn't bother. But if you do or not post pics.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I went through two sets of toxic pipes. One blew apart right by the flange. I had my next set on for one month and the rear bracket tore apart from the pipe. I'll give them one thing, their customer service is top notch, refunded me almost the full cost of my pipes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts